What Currently Available Blanks Are YOU The Happiest With?

vbimport

And where are you buying them?

1. DVDR5
  2. DVDR9
  3. CDR

The only one I can answer at this moment is #3, & it’s been a couple months since I bought a new batch; so no guarantees as quality seems to change so quickly these days.

TY Silver 52X at Super Media

I truly don’t know of ANY quality dvd blanks at this time, which is why I’m asking.

My current favourite blanks are… blank 1 TB 2.5" USB 3.0 external harddrives! :smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2665900]My current favourite blanks are… blank 1 TB 2.5" USB 3.0 external harddrives! :D[/QUOTE]

I have 2 of those (2.0 TB Seagates) also. But my car requires cd’s & my Oppo requires discs for SACD ISO’s. My Oppo also glitches a bit on video played with USB Flash, I assume it would do the same with hd,

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2665891]1. DVDR5[/QUOTE]

Verbatim AZO from newegg -

Verbatim 8x certified (MKM-003) from newegg -

JVC / Taiyo Yuden from meritline -
http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-52-cdr-water-shield-white-inkjet-printable---p-18255.aspx

Curious which country the Verbs you’re recommending are made in?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2666095]Curious which country the Verbs you’re recommending are made in?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

It’s been about 2 years since I’ve bought any, so you’ll probably want to check to see what the latest reviews say, but my DVD+R SL have all been Taiwan and my DVD+R DL have all been Singapore.

1. DVDR5: Verbatim 16x DVD+Rs or Itmedia Thermal Printable 16x DVD-Rs (MIUAE by Falcon)
  2. DVDR9: Verbatim 8x DVD+R DLs (MII or MIS) or Imation DVD+R DLs (MII)
  3. CD-R- JVC 52x CD-Rs (MIJ by Taiyo Yuden) or Verbatim AZO 52x CD-Rs (MII)

Bought locally or from itmedia.sk

[QUOTE=pepst;2666175]1. DVDR5: Verbatim 16x DVD+Rs or Itmedia Thermal Printable 16x DVD-Rs (MIUAE by Falcon)
2. DVDR9: Verbatim 8x DVD+R DLs (MII or MIS) or Imation DVD+R DLs (MII)
3. CD-R- JVC 52x CD-Rs (MIJ by Taiyo Yuden) or Verbatim AZO 52x CD-Rs (MII)

Bought locally or from itmedia.sk[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE to find MIUAE Verb’s. it’s been a couple years since they’ve bee available in my part of the USA.

I haven’t seen any MIUAE Verbatims for years. :frowning:
Those Itmedia Thermal Printable 16x DVD-Rs have “TTH02” MID.

[QUOTE=pepst;2666352]I haven’t seen any MIUAE Verbatims for years. :frowning:
Those Itmedia Thermal Printable 16x DVD-Rs have “TTH02” MID.[/QUOTE]

Who’s selling the IT Media? They don’t seem to be listed on the company’s website.

It looks like they are now selling only the “Dupli grade” Itmedia DVD-Rs…:
http://itmedia.sk/showitem.php?item=dvdmr-itmedia16cellawrap-tth02_DupliWhiteFullPrint100 :frowning:
I will ask the company owner if/when the higher grade TTH02s will be available again.

[QUOTE=pepst;2666534]It looks like they are now selling only the “Dupli grade” Itmedia DVD-Rs…:
http://itmedia.sk/showitem.php?item=dvdmr-itmedia16cellawrap-tth02_DupliWhiteFullPrint100 :frowning:
I will ask the company owner if/when the higher grade TTH02s will be available again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I’m in the USA, shipping from Europe would probably be prohibitively expensive.

[QUOTE=pepst;2666175]…Imation DVD+R DLs (MII)…[/QUOTE]

What’s the MID?

[QUOTE=negritude;2667442]What’s the MID?[/QUOTE]

MBIPG101-R10-065

Here’s a random example of why I complain so much about today’s blank disc quality.

I was looking through my burned discs for something in particular & noticed this disc. I knew it was one of the first TY’s I burned (turns out it was from 10/2005) & was curious to see how it had held up.

This is a simple “shiny silver” TY pro line. Scanned with the same drive I use to scan current burns that suck & in the exact same manner. I would kill for a dvdr of this quality today! (heck I’d kill for a dvdr that routinely produced no more than 100 pif’s!) And this puppy was burned over 7 years ago!

As much as i B*tch about the quality of most of today’s blanks, I’ll also give credit where it’s due. While i still haven’t found any acceptable new stock dvd’s In over a year, with cdr’s I continue to have good luck with TY PRO 0 46838 04530 1 aka J-CDR-ZZ-SK Silver shiny unbranded. Oddly, the branded seems to suck in comparison.

My most recent purchase was from Meritline, & I’d say over 90% have fallen within my very picky guidelines (99 score, not much over 100 pie’s)

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=43162&SEName=jvc-cd-r-52x-silver-thermal-lacquer-jcdrzzsb

And they’re cheap; $49 for 200 delivered.

It’s been suggested that I try TY 8x +'s for dvd; as soon as i have the $'s I will. As FTI’s quality has gone way downhill in the last few months, & I haven’t had a decent TY - dvd in ages, I’m hoping for the best.

I do suggest if you have any unburned FTI dvd’s older than 2 years, treat them like platinum.

For dl’s, I recently tried a 5 pack 2011 manufacture of Verb AZO 8x +'s; as far as burn quality I’d rank them about equivalent to the old FTI Richoh MID value lines for 3x the price. I could live with these if they were cheaper. My most recent test of FTI DL’s actually did turn out better, but FTI quality has gotten so inconsistent, I’m a bit gunshy to spend any $'s on them.

1. DVDR5 - Datawrite (I’d prefer Memorex, but not sure if it’s a blank mark)
  2. DVDR9 - Idk - I’ve currently got a couple datawrites DL here, but not for long enough so I can conclude anything, but they seem nice. I usually don’t use DVD9s
  3. CDR - Verbatim/Memorex (if they’re blank)