What CPU to use in New Box

vbimport

I am a first time computer builder, and I want to build a computer that is geared toward burning DVDs the best possible configuration. I know the main thing you must have are:
CPU - I want the best possible over 3 mhz. Intel or AMD. ( Please suggest)
HD - I am going to use the WD Raptor X 150Gig 10,000RPM http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=189
I have picked a case that holds 4 optical drives so I need a big PSU, any suggestions?
I am not a gamer so I want a good video card but not the best. Also suggestions appreciated.
This is where I am really stumped. I want the best I/O controller cards money can buy, I have heard to use the cards with the Sil 680 chip, is this true or is there better?
Any other suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks

I forgot to add that the configuration must be able to accomaodate 4 DVD RW drives.

Hi alan. Maybe have a look at Zevia’s thread herefor some ideas. If you have a look at Dee-27’s case in that thread it looks like a great start and you would not be restricted with 4 optical drives, I know with my current set up 4 Optical drive slots is not enough and I am constantly changing drives. I know you have quite s few drives. :wink: AMD is also the way to go now adays as Intel has decided to use only one P ATA channel for the current chipsets. Hope this helps to get you started.:slight_smile:

Thanks Crossg, I have looked at Zevia’s thread, I have an advantage as I am not restricted by price, I will spend as much as 2000USD to get the configuration that is best. But I do not want to make a big mistake in buying the wrong MB or one that won’t let me use at least 6 drives. Thye case is also important. I will contact Zevi and see how he made out. The PSU, MB, HD, Controller cards are main things I do not want to make a mistake on. I want the max transfer rates on everything, thats why I chose the Western Digital Raptor X 150 gig 10,000RPM HD. Any help would really be appreciated.

If you want a good cpu for burning dvd’s then go dual core :slight_smile: if you want a good gcard that’s not expensive but can still play the latest games at medium settings then you can pick up a 6600GT for under £90 sorry dont know about $, if you get an SLi board you can always add another one later.

Thankyou Mr. Brownstone. I am 63 years old and love this hobby, I have to bring a list of parts to the person that is building this for me. Other than the Western Digital Raptor X 150 gig 10,000RPM HD, I am stumped. I need a MB that will enable me to use at leat 6 IDE drives and a case for that. I also need I/O controller cards ( Sil680) chip has been recommended) but I have no brand to tell him. I have all the optical drives already, but I need a Powerful PSU ( do I need one with dedicated rails), which one? The dual core Intel 930D, is that a good CPU for what I want? I would love a list of components to bring to the builder. Thanks for your time.

Hi :slight_smile:
A friend of mine has just got this setup.
Motherboard, CPU, Hard drive, PSU, Graphics card.
With this unless you want all 4 DVDRWs to be master, you won’t need a I/O controller card. If you do the ITE 8211 (non-raid ) is a good one. I’ve used a couple of these for around 2yrs without any problems.

NewEgg motherboard: Processor: Power supply: Graphics card: Controller card: Hard drive:

AMD cpu’s are regarded as being ahead in terms of price and performance compared to intel ones at the moment (let the flaming begin j/k) so i’d go for the best X2 you can afford (this is ofcourse if you dont plan on oc’ing), ive got a 3800+ (the cheapest) running at stock and its awesome in terms of multitasking, as for the PSU go for a good quality one (quality over stated power is the best way to go) a quality 350 watt PSU will often leave a cheap 550 watt PSU in the dust, its about how many amps you have on each rail, for a modern system you need to be looking at a minimum of about 28 amps on the +12v rail, alot of people recommend seasonic PSU’s (i went with a hiper for my latest build as i had a voucher), as for motherboards that support more than 4 IDE devices without the use of some sort of seperate controller :confused:

1 question are you planning on burning more than 1 disc at a time? i mean im running a crappy 1.2Ghz/200Mhz FSB duron oce’d to 1.33Ghz/266Mhz FSB, with 4 optical drives and a 120GB 7200Rpm/2Mb Cache HDD and its fine for dvd burning

I’d certainly consider these components if i was you :iagree:

I want to thank all of you including Zevia who helped by PM and Mr. Brownstone and Zebadee (who is always there when I need him). I have printed out all the parts from Newegg and I will take them to the builder. Now the last part in the puzzle, " The Case " It must accomodate no less than 4 drives, preferrably more, and no I won’t be using more than 1 drive at a time). Also I still can’t find out if this Seasonic S12-600W has dedicated rails and if it does do I really need this option?
Thanks everybody, you have all been great.
Alan

Power supply. “dirty” power can lead to poor quality burns, inconsistent scans, and can also burn out components (like DVD-RW drives). The ones from OCZ, Fortron/Sparkle, Enermax, Seasonic, or Antec are all good. If you’re going to spend money, do yourself a huge favour and don’t cheap out on power. Cost and looks have nothing to do with whether a PSU is any good or not. And you don’t need huge wattage to run even multiple DVD burners; 450W and up should be fine now and for the future, but only from the manufacturers listed above because their power ratings are accurate, unlike the no-names.

Motherboard - there is no “best” or “wrong” one; the only question is do the supplied features meet your specific needs? Do you need CPU overclocking? Extreme overclocking or just a little? Firewire? Dual PCI-e x16 slots? 10 USB ports? Onboard graphics & sound? Lots of PCI slots? For example, a DFI Lanparty UT nF4-Ultra-D is probably the best overclocker (for AMD CPUs) because of BIOS options, but the MSI K8NGM2-FID makes for a better Home Theatre PC because of the good onboard video & 8.1ch sound. Asus makes high-quality boards with very stable BIOS settings but can be a little expensive for the more full-featured ones; you might want to look at their lower-cost “ASRock” (micro ATX) models. If you’re thinking of doing stuff like video captures or high-end sound, you might want to avoid a micro-ATX motherboard and go with one that has a lot of PCI/PCI-e x1/x4/x16 slots just for the flexibility of adding those kinds of cards later.

CPU. Frankly, if you’re not playing games, just about anything current will do, even a 2Ghz Celeron. It doesn’t take much CPU power at all to burn a DVD, not even at 16x. Dual-core CPUs would be wasted in a burning environment because the true bottleneck with burning is the speed of the I/O, and not the CPU. The WD Raptor hard disc you like would do more to help your DVD burning than any CPU would. Still, if you want “the best possible”, check out the prices on the AMD Athlon FX57 or FX60.

Memory. Again, if you don’t have gaming/overclocking requirements, just about anything from Mushkin, OCZ, Corsair, G.Skill, or even Kingston would be fine. If you go with an Intel CPU and want to overclock it, the expensive low-latency RAM might show a performance difference (although not in DVD burning). If you go AMD, the on-die memory controller means that just about any quality manufacturer (see above) value RAM offering will do, without regard to timings. As far as quantity goes, I’ve yet to see where my 1GB wasn’t enough. Games, as always, are another story - the more the better. To ensure best performance, buy either 2x512MB or 2x1GB dual-channel RAM sold as a matched pair. Matched pairs are tested together at the factory.

Hard Disc. The 150GB WD Raptor is just about the fastest one out there, and a decent size. You might want to consider a second one, not as fast, but with massive storage for DVDs, like the Seagate 7200.10 SATA-II models that go up to 750GB. When it comes to DVD burning, capacity trumps hard disc speed, and it’s here you should be looking to spend money. Make absolutely sure that the SATA-II drive you get is, in fact, fully compatible with your motherboard’s chipset. I’ve heard stories about nForce-chipset motherboards not liking Maxtor or Hitachi SATA-II drives.

Case. I have a 6 year old Pentium-II case, and the CPU temperatures inside range between 32C (CPU at idle) to 42C (CPU at 100% load). And the Heatsink/fan is the one that came with the AMD CPU. No chassis fans, no HD coolers, no exotic water-cooled pipe systems. I’d go for looks, but I guess your main consideration is how many 5¼" drive bays it has. Antec has a series of nice-looking cases with innovative features like sideways sliding drive cages, and rubber grommets to keep noise & vibration down. Some even have air filters to keep the insides dust-free.

Video card. Games is all that matters because the only difference between an onboard solution and an expensive PCI-e card is 3D performance. If you want to play relatively mild games like SimCity4 or The Sims II, look for motherboards that have an onboard GeForce 6150, like ASUS A8N-VM CSM, MSI K8NGM2-FID, GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9, or Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS. If you find later that you want better game performance, each of those has a PCI-e x16 slot that you can put a more expensive card into later. Note that onboard video often can only supply one analog signal at a time; that is, you can choose to output to (HD)TV or VGA, but not both at the same time.

Dear ftp1020:

It was very nice of you to take your time and knowledge and share them with me. I am basically interested in burning DVDs at 16X with enough power and quality for the long term. I also want to utilize all my burners in one case, or at least 6 or 8 of them. I want every part to be the latest but I really do not want to have " overkill " I do not play video games or even multi-task for that matter, (it would be nice but not necessary) . I saw your post in this thread and I really learned alot, between you, Zebadee, Dizzy, and Zevia and Mr. Brownstone, I think I have the support staff in the world. Thanks to you all, I am over 63 years old and have learned alot in the past 5 years, thanks to people like you.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178232

Hi :slight_smile:
Take a look at Seasonic:
PC case: This would probably the nearest to my case, that you could get. Lian Li:
Edit: Memory: Should see you alright. :iagree: :bigsmile:

Hi again Alan1476,

If you go here:

You’ll get a very good idea of how pretty much all the current crop of CPUs stack up against each other. Don’t forget to choose different benchmarks to look at, because the FX60 doesn’t win at everything! (nearly everything, though…)

You have to keep in mind, though, that a whole new generation of CPUs is literally days away. AMD will be unveilling their AM2 line (and finally make use of DDR-2 memory) in about 2 weeks, and Intel will be unveilling their Conroe & Core Duo CPUs in July. Each will require new motherboards not yet available, and the Intel offerings look like they’re making a serious stab at retaking the performance-per-buck crown back from AMD.

This will certainly put downward pressure on all the system configurations mentioned in this thread. If you can wait just a couple of months, you’ll save a ton of money (and NOT have to call Geico!). Now is the time for buying budget systems, not high-end ones.

You know, I was thinking the same thing but I have been waiting so long already, origionally I was waiting for " Vista " then that got moved back, then I was waiting the the new Intel Chip with the " InstantOn" Tecnology, that got cancelled. I guess I could live with a mid-tower (4X51/4" drive bays) and a mid range motherboard and CPU, good power supply and then when all this new technology comes to pass, I could just give it to my son. Sometimes I think I am waiting forever and never getting anything.

Hey, I know the urge to spend $$$ on new computer stuff when it comes along, and yeah, there is always a reason why not to buy now. But I’m serious - new high-end (as in first new motherboard CPU socket designs in over a year) equipment really is just weeks away.

If you feel the urge, though…

AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice, and overclock it to 2.4Ghz ($155)
MSI or Asus mATX onboard GeForce 6150 motherboard ($80)
Fortron Source 450W PSU ($50)
1GB (2 x 512MB) of OCZ/Corsair dual-ch Value RAM ($80)
150GB WD Raptor SATA-II drive ($275)

…and a big new case that holds 8 DVDRW’s. ($200)

Total $940, and only 1/3 of that total is the CPU/mobo/RAM.

You’ll already have the case, the hard drive, and PSU of your final system. Then what you do is add to it as you learn more about exactly the motherboard/CPU you think you’ll want in the end. Watch your preferred mobo/CPU prices & wait for the sales, then scoop them up. Best bet is to pick up a mobo when the CPUs go on sale; they always cost half the CPU anyways. You can see how the old RAM works out, and maybe later get two gigs of DDR2 1066 PC8500 RAM to replace it. Or maybe you just go with a dual core 4400+ CPU at the end of this year when AM2 starts pushing S939 CPU prices down, and get a nice GeForce 8800 instead of a new motherboard. BTW, I’d recommend getting controller card(s) to run the extra burners, rather than a specialty motherboard that has 4 IDE (8 channels) ports. They only cost $15 for one thing…

You spend under $1000 in the short term, leaving you another $1000 of your budget to spend on motherboard/CPU & graphics card early next year - and you keep the fun of getting new hardware going longer, too! And while you’re waiting for the AM2/Conroe of your dreams to come out, you’ll have to “limp along” on a 3200+ that will be a screamer compared to whatever you’ve got now. When your friends see that huge, 8-bay Luan Li case, they’ll think a monster is in there no matter what you put in it!

For me, that 150GB Raptor looks tasty, verrry tasty…

Its going to be the center piece of my system, most people underestimate the importance of a really good Hard drive. Thanks ftp1020, you have been a great help. I will let you know when its up and running.

Yo Alan-

I would suggest an AMD Athlon 64 x 4800+ as the current ‘best bang for the power cpu buck’-:

I am and old (almost as old as you) Pentium man that is now on his first AMD based computer (see below)

Am really impressed as to just how great these chips are - and at this point - would not go back-

Mike