What copying program?

vbimport

Ok, I am new to this backing-up thing so I apologize if these are stupid questions. I have been reading a bunch of threads but I think I am more confused then anything. First off, I have Nero (which I like) and CDRwin. I have read that Nero is good for some things, but not so much for backing-up. I would be willing to buy another copying program, but not certain which one.

Blindwrite, CloneCD, Alcohol?
Do I want Blindwrite since it appears that I will need to be using bwa files?
Do I even want CDRwin?
Also, what about this blacklisted virtual drive thing.
Do I want a virtual drive program (Daemon) or not.
I read where I should take off CloneCD if I had it prevent programs from not running because of the virtual drive issue. How do I have a program that I could need, like CloneCD/Daemon but then not?

Help. Thanks in advance.

I hope you don’t mind but I editied your post to make it easier to answer all of your questions.

• [li]I have read that Nero is good for some things, but not so much for backing-up.
    [/li]If you want to copy documents or fiels then use this. Not very good at all for copy protections.

[li]BlindWrite, CloneCD, Alcohol
    [/li]Different programs copy different things best. Damn where has my list gone.
    Alcohol = SafeDisc, Starforce 1+2, SecuROM 4.85xx w/ emulation
    Blindwrite = SecuROM 4.85xxx(perfect with Plex Premium)
    CloneCD = SecuROM 4.85xxx(CloneCD + Twinpeaks + BWA), Laserlock, Ring Protech
    Can’t Do = StarForce 3, Tages

[li]Do I want Blindwrite since it appears that I will need to be using bwa files?
    [/li]BWA files are ONLY needed for SecuROM 4.8+

[li]Do I even want CDRwin?
    [/li]Your choice. To copy games with then no.

[li]Also, what about this blacklisted virtual drive thing.
    [/li]Newer copy protections can blacklist a virtual drive. When this happens you can either uninstall the drive all wait for an update to the program.

[li]Do I want a virtual drive program (Daemon) or not.
    [/li]It’s a good way to check your iamges before you copy them to CD or to use the program without the CD in the drive. Alcohol comes with it’s own VD.

[li]I read where I should take off CloneCD if I had it prevent programs from not running because of the virtual drive issue. How do I have a program that I could need, like CloneCD/Daemon but then not?
    [/li]There is no virtual drive in the newer versions of CloneCD at the moment.

All of the programs offer trial versions to test them out. Have ago with them to see what you like. To copy todays protections you could need up to three different drives and all of the programs plus a few others.

Thanks for the info. Will have to check things out. One last question. If I do put a program with a virtual drive (alcohol), would that mean that some programs wouldn’t run because I have that program? Would I have to uninstall just to run that program?

Originally posted by 3dking3
Thanks for the info. Will have to check things out. One last question. If I do put a program with a virtual drive (alcohol), would that mean that some programs wouldn’t run because I have that program? Would I have to uninstall just to run that program?

It depends what game it is and the circumstances around it. Sometimes, the game will play, other times, the game won’t. If it is really giving you trouble, then all you have to do is disable the drive.