What cloud storage do you use?

The cloud is everything today. You are supposed to put everything you have in the cloud, so that you may access it anywhere and don’t ever have to worry about drive or disk failures ever again.

Do you use cloud storage?

Are you happy with the free ones or do you have a subscription?

What’s on your storage? Do you use it for highly personal stuff? Do you add your own form of encryption?

Personally i liked dropbox, but since i’m gradually putting Windows 7 on all my computers i tend to use SkyDrive a lot. It’s 7GB for free and i put my mostly used freeware tools on it so that i may access them everywhere.

I don’t trust the cloud with my personal stuff. If i would use it for personal stuff i’d make a TrueCrypt container file and put that thing in the cloud.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2668315]The cloud is everything today. You are supposed to put everything you have in the cloud, so that you may access it anywhere and don’t ever have to worry about drive or disk failures ever again.[/QUOTE]

That is in a utopia world where there is always-on connection but there are still dead spots and dial-up connections that will kill that Cloud aka Server Farm connections. And there are places that doesn’t have either at all. I seen Zombies where I work when the internet goes dead they stare at a black screen and click the mouse and say why doesn’t the internet work? Now you have to ask yourself with all the intelligence we have we can’t find better things to do and be a couch potato all day long?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2668315]I don’t trust the cloud with my personal stuff. If i would use it for personal stuff i’d make a TrueCrypt container file and put that thing in the cloud.[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest problem or the Elephant in the Room they always talk about how secure they are but what to my dismay or lack of only few months later they tell … oh, btw…we got hacked but your data is safe? Oh really, and it took you that many months to to admit it? No how much confidence do you have when it takes them that long to tell you or the Newspaper reports the security breach only to have them confirm your cloud isn’t on Cloud 9 anymore.

I don’t put personal stuff online or use Facebook just for the simple reason if you can’t talk on the phone or in person or simple write a letter then your in trouble.

I use Dropbox a little bit for some files I need to synchronize between multiple computers and also for some family photos.

I wouldn’t trust any cloud storage with sensitive files.

At work, we use Dropbox to share a small number of files between two offices, mainly schedules and logs to keep track of stuff.

For sharing bulky files between multiple offices, we use FTP. Although more complicated than a folder sync service, it’s cheap. Again, we mainly use it for non-confidential files such as product photos, editable catalogues and product manuals.

For personal use, I occasionally use Google Drive.

One “cloud” service I may experiment with is Usenet. While not free, it would be an extremely cheap service for bulk backing up of files (i.e. 100s Gigabytes.) Due to the way Usenet works, if your Usenet provider goes out of business, your data is already distributed with other Usenet providers around the globe. There’s no storage charges either regardless of how much is uploaded. The obvious catch is that your data is publicly available to download (if one figures out the articles to download), so everything needs to be securely encrypted before uploading. Other drawbacks include the need to manually upload files and keep track of them (less user-friendly than even FTP, especially with the need to create PAR recovery files, etc.)

One thing I would like is a folder-sync application that works like Dropbox, but which uses your own server instead of theirs.

You are supposed to put everything you have in the cloud

No, I’m not. Who said that?

I don’t use cloud, mainly because I don’t feel I need it.

Not comfortable with the Cloud at all, i have a lot of sticks with everything i need as far as files go and mobility.
Would not even think about personal stuff for the world to see and get to.

I use Dropbox for the most part, and it’s been pretty solid for me. Other than that, I have to say that Google Music has been great for streaming my music collection so far.

[QUOTE=Seán;2668323]For sharing bulky files between multiple offices, we use FTP. Although more complicated than a folder sync service, it’s cheap. [/quote] And pretty unsafe, unless you’re using SFTP of course.

If you use Active Directory Domain with 2008 R2 server schema you could set up a DFS between the different locations using encryption and certificates to make sure nobody can spy on you.

If you occasionally like to send a nice <2GB file you can also use www.wetransfer.com