What cd-rw to use

Hi folks! Just had prob with memorex dvd-rw used on hp a1010n, sp3 puter.

Would like a suggestion for which cd-rw brands to use on this HP system.

Thanks much, Diligent

I get good results using [B]Verbatim DataLifePlus Advanced SERL+ 32X[/B].

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Since you mention both DVD RW and CD-RW in your first post, I’ll cover them all with one word: Verbatim :smiley:

uSerKey and Arachne: Tks for your replies. Saw Verbatim mentioned several times on my general web search, but when I got to the list on cd freaks, I saw three types and frankly did not what they meant.

Are both of you using an hp based OS? That seems to make a difference as to which cd brand to use, for some reason particular to HP.

Why, for instance is DataLifePlus Advanced SERL+ 32X, better than other types of Verbatim cd-rw’s.

Arachne: BTW, only reason I had that dve-rw, was that it was the only rw cd or dvd that I could get on that particular Sunday.

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. Diligent

This will be mre of a philosophical answer than a technical one.

it isn’t so much a “system” that “likes” or “dislikes” a particular brand/type of discs, but rather your optical drive.

Virtually all optical drives will work well with “good” discs, but what identifies a “good” Drive is it working with discs that are only “so-so”
(or complete crap)

It should be noted that there is a rather wide swathe in -RW discs, particularly with CD-RW’s because there are three basic classes of RW discs, the early 1x, 2x or 4x discs, the “high speed” 4x-10x discs and the “Ultra speed” discs.

to be blunt the newer drives don’t “play well” with the earlier types of discs.

Philosophy lesson over, I’ve had mixed results with some discs
that I “inherited”

to be blunt the newer drives don’t “play well” with the earlier types of discs.

And older burners don’t play well with new discs.

[QUOTE=diligentinquirer;2223480]
Are both of you using an hp based OS? That seems to make a difference as to which cd brand to use, for some reason particular to HP.

Why, for instance is DataLifePlus Advanced SERL+ 32X, better than other types of Verbatim cd-rw’s.[/QUOTE]

IMO it’s more likely to be the drive itself that likes or dislikes certain manufacturers/brands of media, rather than the OS. (Edit: as mentioned already by AllanDeGroot ;))

All my drives have a certain make of media they don’t get on with, and what make that is differs with each drive (my LG drives, for example, are DEAD fussy about what they’re fed).

Out of curiosity, what brand and model of drive came with your HP?

As for the second bit I quoted - both the 24x and 32x Verbie CD-RWs I have are labelled “Advanced SERL”…personally what I’d say, is just ignore that and grab Verbies anyway :wink:

All posted info noted. Thanks to all. Edited my signature to provide further OS, etc. info.

Arachne, and AllanDeGroot,…: With cd-r (not cd-rw) inserted (Sony, CR audio-80), XP-home Device Manager says in this order…under "DVD/CD ROM DRIVES:

(1) ASUS CD-S480A5

(2) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S

As to “what brand and model of drive came with your HP?”, the answer is dunno other than what HP says, which is not all relevant, cause I bought this puter used at a local puter repair and used/refurbished puter and parts outlet. Mostly genuine folks. A Microsoft “retail” verson of XP-home was then already installed, which did contain the LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S driver.

Do know that the “ASUS CD-S480A5” was added later, not “with” an orig HP OS, but added to this [B]retail[/B] Microsoft xp home, sp2, cd prog install. Was said to be a “modem driver” addition.

Thanks for specific inquiry. Hope this helps you help me and others.

My Best, Diligent

Hmmm, OK you have a LiteOn - they’re pretty tolerant media-wise usually :slight_smile:

I’ve never personally had a 1633S, but I did have a later 1693S, and that burned practically anything I threw at it.

However, especially with older drives, it’s always good practice anyway to make sure you have the latest firmware from LiteOn’s site - assuming you’re not using an OEM firmware (that is, firmware provided by HP and not LiteOn).

So you should be just fine with Verbie CDRWs (honestly, when I buy I just look for “Verbatim” and no other details like Advanced SERL+, Advanced AZO etc) :)…but for your drive, look for the 24x Verbie CDRWs (or lower), as that’s the drive’s rated speed for CDRW.

Arachne; OK, following your advice, which is accurate! Thank You. :smiley:

You’re welcome, happy burning! :wink:

For reference sake My computer is “sorta” an HP, but the only original part is the MoBo.

I use a NEC drive that is several years old, an ND-3530.
It seems very “Catholic” in it’s tastes for media and will
even work with older “slow” RW media.

but there are some discs, the memorex in specific that it flatly refuses to erase or re-write.

I must walk across the room to another computer with an older asus drive to erase any of those discs.

AD

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts. Had a VERY nasty virus/trojan based crash, just now getting back uo to speed.

Doesn’t sound like Verbatim cd’s—as are highly recommended here and in a host of other forums, etc.—carry any objection of merit.

So tell me pls, two things:

(1) Where is the best place(s) to get the best deal on Verbatim [B]??[/B]x cd’s, and

(2) Are Verbatim [B]??[/B]X (RW-I think) cd’s proper to use for Comodo backup.

Thanks much again all, Diligent.:slight_smile: