What CD or DVD burner?

I am thinking of buying either a Plextor Premium http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/112 or a Plextor PX-708A http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/121. I like the idea of a DVD burner but would the CD burner be better for backing up games and burning MP3s? I just want some opinions before I spend money and find out later a different brand or model would have been much better. :stuck_out_tongue:

cd burner is always better as they can be better in backing up games and defeating certain no. of protections . DVD burner can burn DVD upto 4.7GB which is more than 5 times the cd capacity.

Is the Plextor Premium about the best or are there better drives out there? Anyone here that has one and likes or dislikes it? :stuck_out_tongue: I would rather pay more if it means better performance (ie: Fewer coasters lol). My CD burner that came with my computer, an NEC NR 7800A makes alot of coasters if I try to burn game CD’s. :a

Originally posted by russell_314
Is the Plextor Premium about the best or are there better drives out there? Anyone here that has one and likes or dislikes it? :stuck_out_tongue: I would rather pay more if it means better performance (ie: Fewer coasters lol).

The Premium drive sure is a great toy. It’s very stable ( no coasters) and have some unique features. One of the features (gigarec) will allow you to put 100 minutes or more, uncompressed Data/audio on a 80 minutes cdr. Not all drives/standalone-players can read disks made with this feature, though, but I still consider it a great advantage. Gigarec also make the Premium drive “the king” of securom 4.84xx. in a combination with Blindwrite.
The drive read allmost any protected audio cd with no problems. The only drawback is the, issues with Safedisk 2.9 (for some of the drives) and the price.

Originally posted by BeeR_DoG
Gigarec also make the Premium drive “the king” of securom 4.84xx. in a combination with Blindwrite.

I thought that it was VariRec that gave the Plextor Premium an edge on Securom NEW 4.8 protected games.

No it was gigarec. Gigarec changes density of the pits and lands and the new securom uses changes in density of pits and lands as protection.
If it was varirec then the 48x and 52x (normal) could do it 2.