What CD burner to buy please..?

I need a new cd burner, as my old one has started to make coasters all too often.
My needs are simple - I want to burn music compilations to cd, slowly and accurately. I will also need to burn dvd’s at times.
Thats it - no lightscribe, no dual layer, just simple CD burning. No bundled software, but a black facia would be nice.
Quiet is good, cheap is also good.

What can you suggest please and thanks !

Hi,

I’d go either for a Pioneer or an Optiarc AD-7200 or 7240 series drive then. These are the best CD writers at the moment.
Pioneer and AD7200 series are available with both interfaces (Sata and Pata), Optiarc AD7240 is Sata only.

Michael

Brilliant Michael - a short and clear answer.
Many thanks, I will look at both and get one ordered.

Cheers,
Steve

[QUOTE=mciahel;2301047]Hi,

I’d go either for a Pioneer or an Optiarc AD-7200 or 7240 series drive then. These are the best CD writers at the moment.
Pioneer and AD7200 series are available with both interfaces (Sata and Pata), Optiarc AD7240 is Sata only.

Michael[/QUOTE]

“Optiarc AD7240 is Sata only”

Anyone know if this drive is going to be released in PATA?

i’ve put my order on hold for now, if its coming soon i may wait!

[QUOTE=neojapsz;2301231]“Optiarc AD7240 is Sata only”

Anyone know if this drive is going to be released in PATA?[/QUOTE]P-ATA is phasing out slowly. I don’t think, a P-ATA version of that drive will hit the shelves.
See if you can get an AD720x then. Or get a Sata PCI controller card (Silicon Image chipset preferred)

Michael

…and I am now awaiting delivery of an Optiarc AD 7200, so thanks again for the help !

[QUOTE=neojapsz;2301231]“Optiarc AD7240 is Sata only”

Anyone know if this drive is going to be released in PATA?[/QUOTE]

No, it will not. :disagree:

The AD-5200A/7200A series was the last Optiarc PATA drive. Get one while you can.