What causes downfall in Music industry: Illegal business or something else?

In a Dutch news article it is stated that Warner Music Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg) is cutting 1,000 jobs and intends to drop several artists.

The reason for this, according to the article, is the illegal copying and downloading of music. Then they say that the music industry is not doing so well for several years.

But, the whole economy is not doing well (getting better at the moment though). Furthermore, one can argue that the quality of the music is not as good as it was several years ago.

So my question is, what do you think the actual reason of this loss of profits is?

Maybe the fact that you walk into a shop look at audio cd’s.
They’re all $30au. All the ancient Country and western which i wouldn’t touch with a 100ft pole is $25au
You walk past the DVD section, see the latest movies for Guess what? On sale for $25au!!

Woot!

I don’t use p2p for music often.

I’ve downloaded 3 songs in the last 3 months.

I can’t even remember what they are called.

On the other hand, I’ve bought 4 games, 7 DVD’s and hired about 30DVD’s, all of which have really good visuals and AT LEAST 4.1 speaker surround. :iagree:

Who has time to only satisfy only 1 sense? :confused:

DVD does at least 2, (3/4/5 if ya have good company, if ya know what I mean ;))

Games keep ya occupied for ages and usually have kickass music anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

The music industry just hasn’t moved with the times.
Customers want more than they offer.
It’s their own damn fault.

Maybe if they had DVD-Audio out, it might do something. But even that would be a patchup of the already rotten core.

I personally think the music industry is know using this as a cover for its own mistakes, for example,

[ul]Artist “A” has a one hit wonder but has signed a three album contract with the Company, they can either say your sh*t goodbye, or they can know say hey due to all those P2P users we can’t afford to keep you anymore goodbye.
[/ul]Lets face it if the artist is making them money the would never drop them so do you blame P2P users or just the bad music that the artist is making or the music industry for ripping us off with high music CD prices?
You could follow this discussion in circles and never find the true/correct answer but I do buy CD’s its just all of them are old artists/deleted titles because most of the music today is poor with the odd exception.

Originally posted by johnboywalton
[B]I personally think the music industry is know using this as a cover for its own mistakes, for example,

[ul]Artist “A” has a one hit wonder but has signed a three album contract with the Company, they can either say your sh*t goodbye, or they can know say hey due to all those P2P users we can’t afford to keep you anymore goodbye.
[/ul]Lets face it if the artist is making them money the would never drop them so do you blame P2P users or just the bad music that the artist is making or the music industry for ripping us off with high music CD prices?
You could follow this discussion in circles and never find the true/correct answer but I do buy CD’s its just all of them are old artists/deleted titles because most of the music today is poor with the odd exception. [/B]

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Last 5 CD’s I bought:
Rem, Rem, crowded house, crowded house, crowded house

What youngest is 5 years old? 1999 methinks? :expressionless:

There are several reasons for this including piracy
Music just now apart from the odd song is basically crap
Here in uk there is about 30+ video music channels on digital television 24 hours a day…
some i suppose must go down to piracy with thousands of bootleg copies on sale at markets around the uk…
Price is also a big thing with the uk being very expencive as far as cd,s go…
I think if the product was priced better there would be less piracy.(look at itunes for example)
Another problem is that we have had it free for so long its difficult to adjust to paying for it now…
But no matter what it is piracy will always be blamed

This is an interesting topic. No doubt, the record companies want to make money. They are blaming piracy for their falling sales. I have not heard any of them saying: “Umm, could the falling sales be because people now have bought all the albums they had on LP on CD, and now only buy the new music that comes out.”

IMHO, much of the new music nowadays sucks like a Hoover, but that is another issue…:stuck_out_tongue:

On a slightly different note, George Michael says that from now on, he will not be releasing any new records, but put his songs online for free.
Guess he has enough money! :iagree:

George Michael shuns music industry

First “new” music was invented and lots of people want it. There’s tape, there’s lp and there’s cd. Everybody buys. There is no copy unit , except for tape decks. So blank tapes get an extra tax. Tapes suck however , but are sure nice for holidays and background music.

Record companies never complained because tapes suck anyway.

Then there’s the cd-writer. Everyone can copy cd’s with such ease , it’s almost impossible to believe. People copied tapes for 20 years so they are in the assumption they can do this too.

Record companies are pissed off. Lots of protections and other stuff to make customers angry.When people get angry , they get rebellious and inventive. It doesn’t take long before almost every protection man could invent , was cracked by other men. We shouldn’t copy stuff, but we still think like we used to , when we had tape decks.

MP3 : “So this is the same music ,but it’s five times smaller ?” , “Yup” , “W00T ! That means i can download everything. Even on dialup” , “Yup”. And people still think like they used to when they had tape decks.

P2P : Same as MP3 , but now there’s a huge list of links. No real changes , just a cute technique to share everything with anybody.
And people still think like they used to when they had tape decks.

Currently the record companies blame us for copying their music.

Sure , blame us. You didn’t blame us when we were using tapes and vhs , becuase both formats suck. But now you’re complaining to almost the same generation. We still think like we have tape decks. It’s just been easier for us along the way. Guess what ? It’s too late to change us now. You should have done that 15 years ago.

I blame the tape deck :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard any decent music for a long time now. Like debro said it costs $30 for a music cd here and honestly who in their right mind is going to pay that for a cd that will have only 1 decent song on it that you will only listen to once or twice, then chuck it on a shelf and never listen to it again, not me thats for sure.

down fall of music in…
from the posts i have read your all right we still think like like we own tape decks,
yes less cash to “waste” and more “music” to waste on
yes p2p file sharing is wrong but…

Lego had the real great idea of inventing toys bricks that you do not need to replace:bow: gee bye long term sales all this harry potter ones etc .
or what about the Real tonka trucks them things you leave in your will to the grand kids!.:stuck_out_tongue:

Not forgetting the mp3 format:cop:
If alllll the big record labels had joined as one they could have brought the rights to mp3s and keep it off the shelf. Then we would still being using tape decks :eek:
just my 2 cents worth…

if some one starts poll on last c.d you brought you might wish to include pollers age in the results
for this 30 something it was meat loaf back to hell .
do respect the artist did go to gig:bow:

Originally posted by christines_heart
if some one starts poll on last c.d you brought you might wish to include pollers age in the results
for this 30 something it was meat loaf back to hell .
do respect the artist did go to gig:bow:

That’d require a 3D histogram, or at least multi colors on a single bar.

Something which isn’t gonna happen in the immediate future :frowning:

It is not only the music industry that feels the bad economic situation. Don;t think it is completely caused by piracy.

Besides that…the change to euro’s caused a lott of problems for normal people here in the Netherlands. Prices raised like hell.

And no I don’t mean the year:p
The rpm. Any one every see listen too a 78 they was heavy and boy the groves :wink:
Then came the “l.p” of course better longer etc .The catch… Easy to scratch you had to treat them and the 45 single with respect:bow: to off set this came the tape deck.with more cash to waste and records cheap things worked well for both sides.
Then as we all know CDs mp3s p2p =less sales of music and more “copies” in even more formats.

In closing way back when you had a 78 you had real ink pens and all the stuff was built to last. Now days when did you last buy a new bic pen because your old one ran out of ink??(Greeting to all them nice laser jet printers)

Just maybe the very people that gave us this all this wonderful stuff (hi -tech toys/mp3s etc) are slowly seeing that they should have left us with the heavy 78’s as we no longer need sony rca etc
to amuse ourselfs

so be nice to your bic pen:bigsmile:

so be nice to your bic pen:bigsmile:

Use fountain pen myself… :wink:

Hmm… Wonder if the fall in sales is a near reverse correlation with the rise in the gaming industry?
Years ago not too many people had a console or a 'puter, now how many homes don’t have at least a console, if not the computer?? You can rent consle games, can’t rent music.

Originally posted by mike_rach
Hmm… Wonder if the fall in sales is a near reverse correlation with the rise in the gaming industry?
Years ago not too many people had a console or a 'puter, now how many homes don’t have at least a console, if not the computer?? You can rent consle games, can’t rent music.

Would it be worth it if you could? :expressionless:

In closing way back when you had a 78 you had real ink pens and all the stuff was built to last. Now days when did you last buy a new bic pen because your old one ran out of ink??(Greeting to all them nice laser jet printers)

You could be on a good track here.

I remember that about 8 or 9 years ago , the industry had watches with built-in solar cells. These solar cells produced enough energy that the watch would never run out of energy.

Suddenly they all dissapeared. I think it’s not because they were malfunctioning or something ,but because sales-droids didn’t sell anymore. If you ever bought one of these (fairly cheap) watches , you would never need another watch in your entire life !

This does not however affect the Seiko Kinetic (recharges because you move your writst) , because that watch is quite expensive.

Perhaps the same cheap-mass-“producing” of mp3’s killed all alternatives , unless you want something different such as the Seiko Kinetic ?

Originally posted by FordPrefect
[B]A new study proofs that file sharing has no influence on cd sales.

http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf

F.P. [/B]

(source)