What car should I buy?

vbimport

I’ve just got my first programming job for many years and I’m wondering what car to save up for. I fancy something a bit quick, but not too thirsty as I hope to cover a fair few miles. I’m aiming to spend 2-3k (in the UK).

Any suggestions… ?

Had a nice suggestion, but then I saw your budget…and the car would definately not fit that :wink:

Have no clue on used cars…but VW Golf is always nice (was my first car)…

Golfs are def good, but maybe overpriced for what you get.

May I suggest you look at something Japanese…you´ll get your best value for money there, and probably best reliability too.

But if you want to be cool, buy British or Italian…and live with the breakdowns ;p

How about a new Mini? Bit of everything and not really British anymore either.

Save up a bit more and get an Audi :smiley:

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2505097]Have no clue on used cars…but VW Golf is always nice (was my first car)…[/QUOTE]
I’ve been thinking about a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v, but unfortunately they’re quite collectable and hence are out of my price range. Maybe I’ll get something really cheap for the summer and get something better in a year or so.

My last car was an Alfa Romeo 155 2.0l T-spark; the internal switch gear was pretty dreadful, but it went like stink and never let me down.

After looking around a bit on autotrader, I’m leaning towards a 3 series BMW; as much as I’m trying to be practical, I quite fancy the 325i!

1998 Subaru Legacy. It should right in that price range and get about 25 mpg if your not a leadfoot. AWD also. BMW 325i, high maintenance car and they rust a lot. I have 250K on one of my Subaru’s and 140K on the other, both 1998. I have a 98 Honda Civic with 240K miles on it. It is a “tinnier” car thought, the Subaru has more substance, handles great and is comfortable. The components are built better. I work on my own cars. I also have a 1973 450SL and a 1973 MG Midget.

check pistonheads , look for a seat ibiza sport tdi or a mk 4 golf tdi theyd be your best bet :slight_smile:

Toyota Corolla. Will usually never break down.

With quite a number of cars from the 1990’s still on the road in my region being Toyota Corollas, this is a fairly good indication of their reliability.

I have a 5-year old Toyota Yaris Diesel 1.4 litre and am happy with its performance. The only fault it gave so far was ABS, which I got fixed about a year ago. Above 80km/h (~50MPH), it accelerates quicker in 5th gear than similar size 1 to 1.2 litre Petrol cars in 4th gear I’ve been in and have no problem overtaking large vehicles even uphill. For fuel efficiency, I typically get around 65MPG on our country roads.

My previous car was a Daewoo Matiz (2001) <1 litre petrol and it regularly gave issues. Over a period of 2 years (about 60,000 miles/100,000km), it went through 5 wheel bearings (various wheels), vent core radiator, hose clips, steam cap, 2 batteries and 2 sets of ignition cables!

[QUOTE=Seán;2505330]With quite a number of cars from the 1990’s still on the road in my region being Toyota Corollas, this is a fairly good indication of their reliability.

I have a 5-year old Toyota Yaris Diesel 1.4 litre and am happy with its performance. [/QUOTE]
Holy crap! You guys get diesel versions?

I feel totally ripped off :iagree:

I’ve been dying to get my hands on a nice diesel car in a practical size …

A hybrid diesel would be better … but a straight diesel would be Ok too …

1000Km’s of driving without refilling would be nice … get a real opportunity to shop around for the best fuel prices, eh?

[QUOTE=debro;2505335]1000Km’s of driving without refilling would be nice … get a real opportunity to shop around for the best fuel prices, eh?[/QUOTE]

My journey to work is about 70km and I pass at least 10 service stations a long the way. Diesel has gone up quite a lot in recent weeks, currently €1.189/litre at the cheapest pumps here and petrol is €1.299/litre.

A full tank gives me roughly 620 miles (1,000km) before the low fuel light flashes rapidly, although generally I don’t let it go this low. Once this low, it takes about 43 litres to fill up. So multiply 43 by the diesel price in your area to get roughly what it costs to run per 1,000km or what it costs to completely fill the tank. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2505341]My journey to work is about 70km and I pass at least 10 service stations a long the way. Diesel has gone up quite a lot in recent weeks, currently €1.189/litre at the cheapest pumps here and petrol is €1.299/litre.

A full tank gives me roughly 620 miles (1,000km) before the low fuel light flashes rapidly, although generally I don’t let it go this low. Once this low, it takes about 43 litres to fill up. So multiply 43 by the diesel price in your area to get roughly what it costs to run per 1,000km or what it costs to completely fill the tank. :)[/QUOTE]
That works out about $55/ 1000Km in .au
In comparison, it costs about the same to go approximately 500-600Km/s using standard fuel - much the same tank size.

Av Diesel cost /l = $1.24au (Sydney)
Av Petrol cost /l = $1.26au (Sydney) (Octane 95)

By my estimate that works out approximately 33-40% cheaper to run diesel, rather than standard petrol.

The only concern with diesel cars is whether manufacturers pick up their game and introduce decent micro & nano fine particle filters on the exhaust :iagree:

[QUOTE=debro;2505481]The only concern with diesel cars is whether manufacturers pick up their game and introduce decent micro & nano fine particle filters on the exhaust :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t worry too much about the smoke emissions on this car. The cars here must go through an emissions test every 1 to 2 years depending on the age. For Petrol, there’s various tests (CO, NOx, etc.), where as for Diesel it’s just a smoke emissions test.

The following was the last test result of my car with about 80,000km on the clock:

I don’t recall seeing this on anyone else’s emissions test result. :disagree:

[QUOTE=Seán;2505489]I wouldn’t worry too much about the smoke emissions on this car. The cars here must go through an emissions test every 1 to 2 years depending on the age. For Petrol, there’s various tests (CO, NOx, etc.), where as for Diesel it’s just a smoke emissions test.

The following was the last test result of my car with about 80,000km on the clock:

I don’t recall seeing this on anyone else’s emissions test result. :disagree:[/QUOTE]
ROTFLMAO. Emissions of 0.00. AWSOME. That has to be the most environmentally friendly car on the planet :iagree:

Actually Australia, and much of the world, has extremely relaxed emissions standards for Diesel engines. Unfortunately, Diesel fuel produces heaps of Nanofine & Microfine particles, which are not emissions tested atm. These fine particles can cause a few nasty respiratory diseases, including asthma.

Awareness of these wee-fine particles is increasing, at government & regulatory levels and they’re pressuring the fuel refiners to improve their fuels (filter the crap out), and remove anything which can cause these nasty little buggers.
I’m in no doubt that the refiners are dragging their feet on this issue, possibly because they’ve added the crap in to bulk-up the product, or possibly just because they don’t want the expense and responsibility of modifying their refining systems to add filtering.

At the same time, standards are being developed to increase exhaust filtering of diesel engines for microfine particles.
In Oz, diesel engines were only introduced in a few consumer models in recent years, so aren’t currently very popular … but it will soon be a landslide as more models are introduced, and fuel costs go through the ceiling, and Oz will be covered in thick black smoke from unfiltered and/or poorly filtered diesel exhausts.

Unfortunately, nanofine particles are too damn small to do anything about … but they pose as much of a threat as the microfine particles.

I understand Europe is an leading the charge for improved diesel exhaust filtering, but I’m unsure whether the UK is a part of that movement.

At any rate, the car manufacturers are already improving their exhaust filtering, to ensure their cars are standards friendly, before the standards come into place, and they find themselves with many non-compliant cars in their international showrooms which need to be (expensively) retrofitted for sale :iagree:

[QUOTE=Seán;2505341]My journey to work is about 70km and I pass at least 10 service stations a long the way. Diesel has gone up quite a lot in recent weeks, currently €1.189/litre at the cheapest pumps here and petrol is €1.299/litre.

A full tank gives me roughly 620 miles (1,000km) before the low fuel light flashes rapidly, although generally I don’t let it go this low. Once this low, it takes about 43 litres to fill up. So multiply 43 by the diesel price in your area to get roughly what it costs to run per 1,000km or what it costs to completely fill the tank. :)[/QUOTE]

im jealous i went out earlier did 90 miles it cost me 20 quid in fuel :doh:

Pre ordered one of these today :stuck_out_tongue:

I got asthma when I go to New York city the second I get behind a diesel bus. That being said, diesels are amazing motors, especially at speed, the really do pack a lot of torque. I am seriously considering converting one of my Subaru Legacy’s ( I have 2 1998’s) to run on natural gas or propane. The kit for my car which would allow it to run on gasoline/petrol is around $1800 and I could transfer it to any other 4 cylinder car I owned if the car crapped out. I know this is a little off topic. I still wold recommend a Subaru to anyone, their made like tanks but get good mileage, though 65 would require a rather large sail, but I could probably carry your Yaris, as I transported an 1800 lb. Milling machine with it (it’s a wagon). Doing a quick search, a 5 year old Yaris diesel in the U.K. is being typically advertised for around 5K pounds. That’s a lot more than this original poster had to spend. With that kind of mileage, I think I may be looking for at the Yaris as my next potential used car. It’s small size makes me worry as I live in New England, and the highways here car be very dangerous. The back roads are reminiscent of Englands, the ones I (when I was there) drove down anyway. I have a 1998 Civic, and it’s mileage is no where near that, but it is a great car and has 240K on it.