What burn speed can I get from burning w/external hard drive?

vbimport

I’ve read somewhere that it’s best to burn from USB external hard drive to another USB external DVD burner but in my situation I have an internal DVD burner. What burn speeds can I achieve with this setup? I’m guessing pretty slow. I don’t have firewire on my computer unfortuneatly so I’ll have to settle for USB for now.

well USB 2.0 on my current laptop 2.5" external hdd i get roughly 10MB/s transfer rates so that’s less than 8x (roughly 11MB/s) dvd burning speed for a rough figure :wink:

but for standard pc 3.5" external ones i suppose those would go at least a little faster so you ‘might’ be able to do 8x burning on those.

which i figure i prefer 8x burning speed on pretty much all my dvd media for quality reason’s.

but i got a question… WHY are you using a external hard drive to burn from that? … cause it would make more sense to just copy it into your main PC and burn it from there… and in my opinion exnteral hard drive’s are mainly only good for backup or external storage of files not really for burning from.

I go from a USB drive to an external burner on FireWire through my laptop and I can burn at up to 12X without a problem. I usually burn at 8X on SL and 4X on DL disks (half rated speed).

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2113308]I go from a [B]USB drive[/B] to an external burner on FireWire through my laptop and I can burn at up to 12X without a problem. I usually burn at 8X on SL and 4X on DL disks (half rated speed).[/QUOTE]

USB thumb drive?

I can get full 16x on my laptop with a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 250 GB USB hard drive or my laptop’s internal hard drive & either of my USB burners.

If I switch to my desktop, however, the USB performance is cut in more than half to 6x, maybe 8x on occasion. I don’t use that setup often.

Are you using a laptop or desktop, how old is it, and where did you read it was better doing external-to-external? That’s not always the case.

(I go from a USB drive to an external…) USB thumb drive?

No, 320 Gb 7200 RPM.