What browser to choose?

vbimport

Last topic I found on “what is the best browser” dates back to 2005, but perhaps I overlooked something…feel free to point me in the right direction if I did.

Having said that, now to my original issue. As you may know, as of March 1 we Europeans are forced to choose a browser as our favourite (thanks to EU). Lazy as I am, I have postponed this decision for several times now ( keep getting that browser choice window everything I boot).

I am wondering what the best browser is. Realizing that it is mostly personal preference, and perhaps combined with negative feelings towards certain companies, there must be some objective differences between them. My personal use of browsers is basic surfing and I like things fast, easy and practical.

According to the Dutch consumer guide (December 2009), Firefox was rated best (8.6 out of 10), Opera second (8.1/10) en Safari third (8.0/10). Suprisingly (to me anyway) Chrome only rated 7.3/10. MSIE 8 rated 7.3/10. These are the only browsers they tested.

Now I am curious about your opinions…and why you feel that way…I have to make a decision soon I guess… Any tips on helpful add-ons are also welcome of course. Poll options are listed alphabetically…

[QUOTE=]My personal use of browsers is basic surfing and I like things fast, easy and practical.

[/QUOTE]

Me too, and Firefox fits the bill perfectly.

I have both IE and FF as well as the IEx64 and FFx64 version.

The new MyCE style makeover was a nightmare in IE6, so I had to try a new browser. I’d tried FF previously and was frankly not impressed. Then I tried Chrome and it worked pretty quick on this machine (AMD Sempron with half a gig of RAM) and since I ain’t a browser fanboy haven’t bothered changing.

My vote is for FireFox too :slight_smile:

What I like more is the huge amount of addons available.

And I like opensource software :iagree:

I never tried other browsers because there is no reason for me to change something already working good :slight_smile:

These polls prove nothing.
Other than that FF users are the most active in voting.
In real time monitoring even IE7 has more users than FF.
The best performance from FF I have seen is around 30%.

The above is a collection of forums, whose combination could be said to give a reasonable representation of actual usage.

Rising star is Google Chrome, though far too inconsistant for me.

I use mainly IE8 & Opera.

Even in Linux would rather use Konqueror than FF.

Let the FF fan boys come forth.

The only reason why IE is the most used browser is that it is already installed in the operative system, not because it was chosen by users :wink:

Very often, like in offices, people cannot install a browser because the system administrator prohibits users to install any software, so the above picture you posted is basically meaningless :wink:

I use 3 IE7,Opera. & FireFox.
A friend of mine really likes Opera.I plan to use it more if I can get a file cleaning program I use to clean Opera’s cache when I use it to clean IE7’s cache.I know they have their own cache cleaners but I prefer my way & to do it all at the same time.
I’m sure I can I just neeed to take the time to set it up correctly.
I rarely do any torrent but I like Opera’s built in capability for this.

[QUOTE=geno888;2505152]The only reason why IE is the most used browser is that it is already installed in the operative system, not because it was chosen by users :wink:

Very often, like in offices, people cannot install a browser because the system administrator prohibits users to install any software, so the above picture you posted is basically meaningless ;)[/QUOTE]

Well recently IE have had to show a browser choice.
Opera being the early beneficary so far.
With little to no difference for FF.
Also why would linux folk be so keen to develope a browser if FF was the panacea its followers would have us believe.
It is true that in the workplace it is often controlled.
That’s why I said my diagram was only a “reasonable” representation of how things are.

Personally, I prefer Opera, because TOO many people use FF nowadays…

I find Mozilla with addon to be superior to other browsing that I have tried to use.

I am so accustomed to Firefox, I can’t see using much of anything else. The flashblock addon is priceless.

I’ve tried Opera in the past and while fast, its do things their way or no way at all.

IE…well, its supposed to be better these days. I keep it for those few sites that require it, but otherwise it is painful.

Chrome is the only one I haven’t used. Just haven’t seen a reason to experiment with it yet, but if I had to choose something other than FF, I’d probably give Chrome the first shot.

Not picking on the people that like FF, but I find Opera to be a bit faster then FF…

For me, I actually prefer three of them, with the browser of choice being depending on what I’m using/viewing. :slight_smile:

[B]Firefox[/B] - The main browser I use on my PCs at home and work. I mainly use it for the range of plug-ins available and how seldom I had an issue in recent years. I use the web developer plug-in for debugging and testing (mostly MyCE-related) and Ad-Block on my Netbook when tethered to my mobile to cut out the bandwidth hogging flash ads due to my mobile provider’s tight 50MB/day limit.

[B]Chrome[/B] - A very nice browser for netbook use due to its slim headers. I often use it in place of Firefox on my netbook when on Wi-Fi, as it gives a lot more viewing area than the others, while also giving direct access to the tabs, address bar and task bar which all disappear when using Firefox’s F11 full-screen mode. It also seems to be the quickest of the browsers with the Netbook’s limited Atom CPU.

[B]Opera Mini[/B] - The main browser I use on my Nokia mobile phone. It’s far quicker than the phone’s own browser, as it has the images compressed before being sent to the phone, which also reduces my mobile data cost.

[B]IE8, Safari & Opera (PC)[/B] - I use these from time to time, but for testing purposes only. IE8 typically requires the PC to be rebooted to install updates, unlike the other browsers. Safari does have one annoying feature in that it periodically tries getting me to install iTunes and QuickTime. Opera has given me compatibly issues with some CMS systems, which is a problem for me.

Other info:

Speed - Despite one browser claiming to be quicker than another, from my experience, on a reasonably quick PC and low latency Internet connection, they all appear to load up pages in about the same time in realworld use. There are a few websites where I found IE8 to take longer, but in general, the main factors that affect web browsing performance include latency to the web server and especially what browser add-ons are present. For example, IE8 with 10 browser clumsy add-ons is obviously going to perform worse than a clean installation of any other browser and the same can be said vice versa.

Firefox slowdown - One thing I can confirm with Firefox is that it does slow down over time as its databases grow even with regular history clean-ups, especially with long term heavy everyday use.

A simple way to restore Firefox performance is to do the following every couple of months:

[ol]
[li]Backup Firefox’s bookmarks (Bookmarks menu -> Organize Bookmarks -> “Import and Backup” menu -> Backup).[/li][li]Take note of any Firefox extensions you use, as some may need to be reinstalled.[/li][li]Close completely out of Firefox.[/li][li]Go into the Start menu -> Run, type “%appdata%\Mozilla”, click ‘OK’.[/li][li]Rename “Firefox” to something else, e.g. “Firefox Back”.[/li][li]Start Firefox and choose the “Don’t import anything” option.[/li][li]Restore Firefox’s bookmarks (Bookmarks menu -> Organize Bookmarks -> “Import and Backup” menu -> Restore -> Choose File)[/li][li]Restart Firefox and then check if there are any extensions you need to install again.[/li][/ol]

I’ve been an Opera user for more than 10 years and see no reason to switch now. Work forces me to be familiar with IE, FF, Safari, and Chrome as well as Seamonkey and Konqueror. I still prefer Opera for both Windows and Linux. Just my two cents.

Thanks for all replies so far.
Are all browsers available in 64 bit as well (running 64 bit Windows 7) ?

If I recall correctly, flash is still a problem in browsers, as this is not available for 64 bit?

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2505402]Thanks for all replies so far.

If I recall correctly, flash is still a problem in browsers, as this is not available for 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

Some sites don’t work well with X64 broswers IE or FF as well as adobe pluging don’t currently work on the x64 versison as well. I have experience display font being smaller with x64 compared to x86 broswers also some site didn’t want to load but I don’t recall as this was some time back. All I know the available browsers so far in x64 are IE8 and FF aka Namoroka. But I do know plugin for FF won’t install for Namoroka and some plugin states it’s for only x86 version. I wouldn’t mind having x64 plugin for both IE8 and Namoroka. All I know so far is Adobe says they are working for flash and shockwave plugin for x64 version broswers-so I will wait and see how that comes along. I used Flash before but had problem using it so I switched over to Video downloadhelper instead in FF as for IE8 I don’t have anything installed in it currently.

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2505402]Thanks for all replies so far.

If I recall correctly, flash is still a problem in browsers, as this is not available for 64 bit?[/QUOTE]

Flash is available… If you are prepared to pay for it!

Chrome and exploDer are out of question, from your list firefox looks best.

/me votes the flaming fox :bigsmile:

chrome is also very nice but it needs some more time so be close to the opera/firefox, and who and why in gods name someone would use the IE or the Safari browsers :confused: