What blank media can I back up my PS2 slim version games?

I have the slim version of the PS2, I tried burning a game to a DVD+RW and a DVD+R, both didnt play in the machine and it asks for a PS2 format disk

It will play a movie on a DVD+R/RW but not a game. Please help! What am I missing?

P.S I burn with Imgburn

Thx!

You’re missing the copy protection and the fact that PS2 games are usually the best on DVD-R media.

well i “had” a slim ps2 not long ago and it worked perfectly fine on Memorex (CMC MAG M01) 16x rated DVD+R media ( i think i had booktype set to dvd-rom though)

plus i think they should work fine on TY 8x DVD-R (TYG02) media to as a guy online i know has those and they appear to work good.

i believe i used Alcohol 120 to copy the originals.

It plays films on the media in question but not games, ok first question does your slimline ps2 have a mod chip installed ?? if the answer is no then thats why the backups are not working.

[QUOTE=NBR;1936272]well i “had” a slim ps2 not long ago and it worked perfectly fine on Memorex (CMC MAG M01) 16x rated DVD+R media ( i think i had booktype set to dvd-rom though)

plus i think they should work fine on TY 8x DVD-R (TYG02) media to as a guy online i know has those and they appear to work good.

i believe i used Alcohol 120 to copy the originals.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about games or films? And did you modify your PS2 slim in any way? eg mod chip or the swap magic disk?Thx!

Swap magic only works for regions, not for copy protections.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;1936517]Swap magic only works for regions, not for copy protections.[/QUOTE]

ah so, if I backed up one of my PS2 games to a blank DVD, it should play ok? Only Iv tried ripping a game in Dycrypter and burning the resulting img with alcohol 120% to a DVD-R. Everytime it tells me to use a PS2 format disc! What am I doing wrong!!! ??? :eek:

[QUOTE=britlifter;1936528]ah so, if I backed up one of my PS2 games to a blank DVD, it should play ok? Only Iv tried ripping a game in Dycrypter and burning the resulting img with alcohol 120% to a DVD-R. Everytime it tells me to use a PS2 format disc! What am I doing wrong!!! ??? :eek:[/QUOTE]

DVDDecrypter is for VideoDVD!
You still missed the idea behind game copy protections.

Really :slight_smile: I think you are the one missing some thing. Ever heard of ISO mode ??? It can make a ISO of a PS2 game and burn it back on to a DVD and works very well :slight_smile:

No. Read carefully what i typed.

Only Iv tried ripping a game in Dycrypter and burning the resulting img with alcohol 120% to a DVD-R.

And what kind of product is Dycrypter? A PS2 backup tool or something to decrypt movie copy protections?

What am I doing wrong!?
What you’re doing wrong is called assumption. Not to worry, a lot of people suffer from it, but it is curable by carefully and patiently reading or gradual understanding.

You assume there is one general protection thing and you assume there is only one kind of format in the whole galaxy.

PlayStation 2 discs are DVD’s with data files on them. (games) They can be executed via a PlayStation 2 console. They also have copy protection schematics like LibCrypt.

DVD Video’s are DVD’s with movie files on them (still files, yet different kind of files). They can be played via a DVD player. (And yes, a PlayStation 2 is also a DVD player). They also have copy protections schematics, but they are called CSS.

Now read the two alinea’s carefully again. Notice the difference?

That region thingie:

US Playstations will not accept Japan games or vice versa. A nifty tool like the swapmagic will make it accept original games from another region.

DVD Video’s may also be region locked. This is however a totally complete other region system and has nothing to do with Playstation regional settings regarding Playstation games.

On to the backup thingie:

If you want to backup Playstation 2 discs, you need dvd- and some tool that will help you get rid of that pesky LibCrypt. Then you need to force your PlayStation to accept these unprotected backups.

If you want to backup DVD Video’s you need a blank disc and some tool that will help you get rid of that pesky CSS. Since it’s a movie file you could also recode it in a smaller format so that your movie will fit on a single layer disc.

Notice the difference again? Now off you go in to the wide world and make me proud.

@britlifter, You still haven’t told us whether your ps2 has a modchip installed or if your using a swap magic.

[QUOTE=coathi;1936563]Really :slight_smile: I think you are the one missing some thing. [B]Ever heard of ISO mode ???[/B] It can make a ISO of a PS2 game and burn it back on to a DVD and works very well :)[/QUOTE]

No oh, should I?!? :smiley:
Glad I dislike consoles and co.