What are you using for Divx Conversion?

vbimport

Out of curiosity what are people using to convert their DVDs to Divx ? (Flask, dvd2avi, nandub etc ..)

Aviscript frameserving to virtualdub for video, ogg vorbis encoded at quality level 1 at VBR.

The pros use divx3.X codec
Mp3 audio ( altho AC-3 is gaining ground on 2 cd rips )
encoding program: Nandub ( SBC 2 pass encoding )

the standard resolution is about 640 x 272

What pros? All the legit pros I know of use DivX 5 or XviD…

Some “releases” are in 3.11 for compatability…

First of all there are no “legit pros”

Divx is almost strictly for piracy.

And when i say pros i mean release groups like dominion, vite etc etc

As for divx5, no one really uses that to encode becuase no one likes the idea of a commercial codec
and

Xvid is basically open source divx , what it should have been all the time.

ALSO very few people encode in virtualdub these days everything is SBC two pass in nandub

Legit pros to me are people who almost certainly DO pirate movies, but don’t admit it publicly (much like many of the members of this board… “I make 100 copies a day for uhhhh… backup purposes…”

ALSO very few people encode in virtualdub these days everything is SBC two pass in nandub

Most people don’t use 3.11 anymore, thus making Nandub kind of outdated except for muxing VBR mp3 into AVI’s. This was true a while ago, but not since the advent of 2-pass Xvid and Divx 4 with log editors if you will.

hahaha
check out
www.isonews.com
at the bottom click on Divx

Then in the new menu you`ll see list of releases in divx
to the right of that is a notepad icon click on the notepad it will tell you the information about the release. About 99.99% of releases are in divx3.11 using SBC almost NOTHING is in divx5

the proof is in the .nfo files, you`ll see for yourself

Releases don’t really count , as they are trying to go for better interoperability, and not quality. Every test between DivX 5 and DivX 3 SBC has come out with DivX 5 (occasionally very slightly) ahead.

And most of these tests don’t take into account tools like DivX4Log, etc, that can increase quality.

how can you say releases don`t count ?

then i can counter with saying whatever people like me and you don`t count.
everything counts. and the fact of the matter is divx3.11 is the prefered codec.

Those releases are as professional as divx will get in the pirated scene.

Releases don’t count because they aren’t going for quality, they are going for interoperability.

There has to be a balance of size and quality and by far that is the stupidest thing i have heard, i am in the divx scene. many of my friends are in large groups themselves at different levels and trust me rippers try to squeeze the most they can out of the movie so it will fit on 1 cd or 2 ( depending the lenght )

BUT if you like quality i suggest you stick to SVCD or buy the original CD as i know for a fact not many people would start getting 3 or 4 cd rips of every single movie becuase of the superior quality.

What exactly do you think about this? That DivX 3 SBC has better quality than DivX 5? This would be going against every test that has been done with them. Hence, DivX 5 is a better quality Codec for the same size file.

Vidomi

what tests ??
you want tests ??

here you go
tests

http://www.doom9.org/codec2.htm

by the people who know what they are doing and saying doom9.net can`t argue against that

Compares divx5, divx3 SBC , Xvid and VP4

once again divx3 SBC is supreme, read and see for yourself.

Originally posted by Number_17
[B]what tests ??
you want tests ??

here you go
tests

http://www.doom9.org/codec2.htm

by the people who know what they are doing and saying doom9.net can`t argue against that

Compares divx5, divx3 SBC , Xvid and VP4

once again divx3 SBC is supreme, read and see for yourself. [/B]

I know Im going against my fellow mods… but I agree with him… from what I have seen divx3 SBC has the best quality.

Whatch me :wink:

Doom9 loves details. He cares about blocks much less than most people, and his test(s) are biased in that respect. He also doesn’t use DivX4Log, which helps quality quite a bit (at least since r 0.47). 99% of people can’t tell the difference in blurriness between DivX SBC and DivX 5. This is the only ‘fault’ that Doom9 has with DivX 5. 99% of people CAN tell the blockiness difference between DivX 5 and DivX SBC. Doom9 has a different idea of quality than most people, and all his guides/tests are biased in that respect.

btw, this is getting quite off-topic. Maybe a new thread would be best.

I checked trough my collection the other day (of course they are all stricly for backup purposes :)) and not one was encoded with v5. And since DOMiNiON uses 3.11, 3.11 is the best there is.

All hail DOMiNiON! :smiley: