What are truly the Lite-On's drives?

vbimport

Would someone please provide a table which explains what drives currently being sold as Lite-On’s products are truly Lite-On’s and which aren’t, including the bloody suffix (A, Y, …)?

Thanks,

Gordon Banks

[QUOTE=Gordon Banks;2479268]Would someone please provide a table which explains what drives currently being sold as Lite-On’s products are truly Lite-On’s and which aren’t, including the bloody suffix (A, Y, …)?

Thanks,

Gordon Banks[/QUOTE]

In North America, the -08 or -09 models have proven to be true “A” MTK Lite-ons, and the -98 models have been the re-badged “Y” Optiarc-NEC drives. Looking for the “smart-erase” logo on the front of the box or drive appears to be one way to get a real Lite-on. But retailers are not about to make it so easy for us :a. Just Googled iHAS424-08, and here are two pictures of drives being sold as 424-08’s. This is just maddening. Only way to be certain of getting the real thing may be to find one at a retail store. Incidentally, a member from the UK posted an amazon link to the iHAS324-32 which shows it to be an MTK, when in fact the iHAS424-32 that he has is an NEC. In other words, there may not be a reliable answer to your question if buying online.

Thanks deanwitty.

It seems to me that Lite-On is doing its best to bring confusion to customers. I guess that even retailers don’t know exactly what they are selling to us.

[QUOTE=Gordon Banks;2479349]Thanks deanwitty.

It seems to me that Lite-On is doing its best to bring confusion to customers. I guess that even retailers don’t know exactly what they are selling to us.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I couldn’t give a more positive answer :o:). I’ve been keeping an eye on this in the forums since nearly ending up with an Optiarc re-badge myself, and every time I think that there might be a good answer to that question, I see an online retailer listing drives with pictures that don’t match. Lite-on started this confusion, but sellers are making it ridiculously hard to be sure of what you’re getting. Perhaps if you list the models you are looking at, someone will be able to help confirm what it actually is. IMHO, the MTK iHASX24 drive is worth pursuing :D.

[QUOTE=Gordon Banks;2479349]Thanks deanwitty.

It seems to me that Lite-On is doing its best to bring confusion to customers. I guess that even [B]retailers don’t know exactly what they are selling to us[/B].[/QUOTE]

they do, they are selling you a burner, anything else they don’t care

so then where does DH-24AAS fall?

doesn’t have smart erase logo, but some say it is MTK drive.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2479408]so then where does DH-24AAS fall?

doesn’t have smart erase logo, but some say it is MTK drive.[/QUOTE]

DH-24AA = MTK
DH-24AY = Optiarc

The third letter in the model number can be:

S = no Lightscribe
L = Lightscribe

So far it seems that:

iHASx24 -08, -09 = MTK
iHASx24 -19, -32, -98 = Optiarc

x=[1, 2, 3, 4]

So far iHAS524 drives seem to be all Mediatek (even the ones ending in -32).

Some HP clones marketed as HP DVD1270i (internal) or HP DVD1270e (external) can also be Optiarc clones (they seem to identify as 1270r in Windows, while the MTK ones seem to identify as 1270d in Windows).

As long as the drive faceplate shows SmartErase, it’s MTK? I know of a place selling iHAS324 and has SmartErase, but I don’t want to buy it just to find out it’s a NEC.

Is the above a MTK liteon? Source

yes, smarterase = mtk

NEC doesn’t support smarterase

since you are buying from someone, there is always that chance that front bezel was changed

[QUOTE=Darth Boy;2479446]As long as the drive faceplate shows SmartErase, it’s MTK? I know of a place selling iHAS324 and has SmartErase, but I don’t want to buy it just to find out it’s a NEC.

Is the above a MTK liteon? Source[/QUOTE]
Yes. My MTK iHAS324 is identical to the pictured drive.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2479472]yes, smarterase = mtk

NEC doesn’t support smarterase

since you are buying from someone, there is always that chance that front bezel was changed[/QUOTE]
Aw, c’mon. Hard enough to figure out what’s what with mismatched pictures and model #'s. Changing faceplates? Let’s not go there :bigsmile:. It’s already frustrating enough :(.

i changed bezel on my pioneer drive before ;), i had one of those fancy A retail models, later bought the cheaper OEM version, changed the OEM bezel to the nicer retail bezel

I just bought what I thought was an iHAS422-08 (so says the barcode sticker on the box as well as the sticker on the drive), but it has no SmartErase logo on the bezel even though the box says SmartErase is supported. It also appears to have riplock even though the 422 isn’t supposed to have riplock. It identifies itself as an iHAS422 Firmware Revision 4L17. What drive do I really have?

[QUOTE=randian;2480182]I just bought what I thought was an iHAS422-08 (so says the barcode sticker on the box as well as the sticker on the drive) … It identifies itself as an iHAS422 Firmware Revision 4L17. What drive do I really have?[/QUOTE]

You’ve (really) got exactly what it says on the tin: [B]an iHAS422-08[/B] :rolleyes:
This thread is about 24x drives. Yours is a 22x and has nothing to do with it. Your drive is a true LiteON, like all 22x LiteONs are … a bit of basic research would have immediately indicated that … as well as the fact that 4L17 is official LiteON firmware, and the fact that the Flash Utility and EEPROM Utility support your drive. If all that doesn’t make it a true LiteON then nothing will! By the way you can download 4L18 from CK’s website and update your firmware.

[QUOTE=randian;2480182]… but it has no SmartErase logo on the bezel even though the box says SmartErase is supported. [/QUOTE]

Just because from whatever reason the bezel is not showing it, that doesn’t mean the drive can’t do it, now isn’t it?! :wink: Have you actually tried it?

[QUOTE=cvs;2480195]You’ve (really) got exactly what it says on the tin: [B]an iHAS422-08[/B] :rolleyes:
This thread is about 24x drives. Yours is a 22x and has nothing to do with it.
[/quote]
Last I checked the thread was about distinguishing MTK from NEC for LiteOn-badged drives.

In a thread proclaiming that the presence or absence of a SmartErase logo is what distinguishes a real 424-08, I was supposed to conclude that it makes no difference for a 422-08? Do explain what Google-fu you would use if you didn’t know that in advance.

[QUOTE=cvs;2480195]
Just because from whatever reason the bezel is not showing it, that doesn’t mean the drive can’t do it, now isn’t it?! :wink: Have you actually tried it?[/QUOTE]
In this very thread Nekrosoft13 says otherwise: that a 324 without logo is an NEC, and NEC drives don’t actually support SmartErase. Is Nekrosoft13 wrong, and if so by what mystical means should I have known that?

I just looked at the MyCE iHAS422 review again. The reviewed drive’s model number is “422-31 8” (mine is “422-08 8”). Perhaps even more important, the reviewed drive has both LiteOn and SmartErase logos on its faceplate, where mine has neither. These discrepancies suggest something is up. Recall deanwitty’s previous post in this thread pointing out two different 424-08 drives, based on the faceplate.

[QUOTE=randian;2480300]I just looked at the MyCE iHAS422 review again. The reviewed drive’s model number is “422-31 8” (mine is “422-08 8”). Perhaps even more important, the reviewed drive has both LiteOn and SmartErase logos on its faceplate, where mine has neither. These discrepancies suggest something is up. Recall deanwitty’s previous post in this thread pointing out two different 424-08 drives, based on the faceplate.[/QUOTE]
I have been looking at the same odd coincidence with the 422. Understand why you were concerned. Can’t imagine why Lite-on would have removed the smart-erase logo. The 422 at Lite-on’s own site shows the 422 without the logo, but clearly states that it is capable of it :confused:. Ah well, be glad that your Lite-on is from the line that only included MTK’s :). And do give COdeKing’s firmwares for the drive a try. Suspect you won’t be disappointed with it ;).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2480308]And do give COdeKing’s firmwares for the drive a try. Suspect you won’t be disappointed with it ;).[/QUOTE]
I’ll try it. My problem with the drive is that it’s obviously riplocked, notwithstanding the review stating that the iHAS422 doesn’t have riplock. It takes 20-25 minutes to rip a dual-layer DVD, so there’s something different between the 422-31 and 422-08. I hope C0deKing’s firmware fixes that.

The ‘-31’ and ‘-08’ doesn’t differentiate the drive, it’s the number after that, either ‘8’, ‘9’, ‘A’, or ‘Y’. The numbers after the dash usually indicate the packaging and region where it’s going to. CK’s firmware may have a DL16 (16x DL read) patch, but stock firmware shouldn’t take that long to rip. Perhaps it’s the Vantec enclosure.

The NEC’s shouldnt have the LITEON logo on the faceplate.

[QUOTE=KTL;2480427]The ‘-31’ and ‘-08’ doesn’t differentiate the drive, it’s the number after that, either ‘8’, ‘9’, ‘A’, or ‘Y’.[/QUOTE]
Mine’s an “8”. What does that mean?