What are these things i get when playing a DVD on the 109?

vbimport

Hey

Ive played a few DVDs on my 109 drive (DVR-A09XLA) and i get these kind of errors during watching the DVD they dont happen on my DVD player when i watch them on my TV but they do when i watch the DVD’s on my 109 drive on my PC. I got screenshots of what i get about every 3 -5 seconds and sometimes the Video freezes for about 5 - 8 seconds at this point while its frozen the light on the drive is just blinking constantly then when it carries on the blinking goes faster. I didnt get these problems on my old DVD-ROM drive dont know what the issue is with the 109 DVD-RW

Pics of erros during DVD playback
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7502/29ft.jpg
http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/6484/16bw.jpg

Anyone got any ideas ?

KIIS102

The 109 needs a 80-pin U-ATA cable and DMA enabled. Check these.:wink:

Computer drives are more picky then standalones.
Either your drive is not correctly installed/configured or the media is not well burnt/good quality.

is there anywhere where i can get a 80 Pin IDE cable from? I saw this on ebay will it do the trick - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-Cable-80-way-for-3-1-2-Hard-Drives-NEW_W0QQitemZ5795581634QQcategoryZ41994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . I just need 1 80 pin cable right? so i’ll have to use those to get my cable. Are you guys sure a 80pin IDE cable will do the trick ?

Right now in my PC ive got 2 IDE cables one has a blue end and a black end. The 2nd cable has 2 black ends. The Blue one is connected to my hard drive or my floppy i cant remember. The other black one is connected to my DVD-RW

The floppy drive has absolutely nothing to do with IDE and would have two black connectors. There’s no such thing as an 80 pin IDE cable. There are 80 pin SCSI cables, but they would be useless to you. You need an 80 conductor IDE cable. The cable with blue and black ends is a single device 80 conductor IDE cable. The blue connector must be connected to the motherboard connector. Your DVR-109 should have come with a two device, 80 conductor cable. This cable would have blue, grey and black connectors. Again, the blue must be connected to the motherboard connector.

WOW KNIGHT RIDER!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

“There’s no such thing as an 80 pin IDE cable”
“You need an 80 conductor IDE cable”

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o You are perfectly right of course :iagree:

I’ve read so many times “80 pin” (which is wrong) that I unconsciously started to use the same misnomer… shame on me! Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Meh - easy mistake to make, I admit I still do it, and sometimes even convince myself to the point of asking myself "how do they fit 80 pins into that 40pin block?

So i do need this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-Cable-80-way-for-3-1-2-Hard-Drives-NEW_W0QQitemZ5795581634QQcategoryZ41994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ?

Yep! Go to any PC retailer, it’s a very common article. All drives from the last three years are (or at least shoud be) connected with these cables.

I would be much more comfortable purchasing the cable from a local PC or electronics retailer. That ebay selection looks like a cheap cable from a hard drive retail package. While it would likely work fine; If defective, it would cost more in postage to get it replaced than it’s worth. The best quality cables are mylar and usually yellow. There’s also the “round” cables that make for a very neat/clean installation. The later tend to be quite pricey though.

The picture show decoding error thay may well be due to speed or irq problem, one thing is sure the 80 pin cable will help, the black and blue one is a 80 pin, but it can’t be connected to a floppy…

What make the quality of the cable is the connector and the workmanship, the color of the cable doesn’t mean much, Since we are talking about IDC connector most have the same gauge and temperature rating so really the main issue is the quality of the crimp

Most MB company will make sure they package a good quality cable with their board to lower their rma cost.

Round cable are the most tricky of all, since all wire are not hold together they need to be properly handled and they are much more fragile when you need to pull them out of their socket.

Lastly the connector themself have diferent specification in regard of the material and plating, but even the cheapest one should do the trick, I am surprised that there’s no Gold rush Fashion in computer cable like for the USB one…