What are the very best SATA DVD burners?

vbimport

My LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1A Lightscribe burner appears to be failing. I’m getting power calibration errors when I try to burn, I get verification errors if it does complete a burn, I have problems reading some disks, and I often have trouble restarting my PC – during the startup or reboot process, it gets as far as the name of the DVD burner and then just stops.

I’m guessing the reboot problem has something to do with the burner, since that’s where the process stops. Although maybe it’s whatever loads AFTER the burner that’s the problem. I’m not a technical person, so I really don’t know.

But I often have to power off and on/restart/reset several times before the PC finally boots. And since the burner isn’t burning reliably anymore, it needs to be replaced. This burner only got light use before failing after about 8 or 9 months.

This time I want to get a really good burner. Price is not really an issue – I’ll pay whatever it costs to get a good, reliable burner. I’m self-employed and have to archive my job files, so I really need to create good burns. And it’s a PITA to nag my husband into installing a new drive, so I want a drive that will last.

I don’t care about Lightscribe. I’m not up on the newest specs and features. I just know I need an internal SATA burner. Doesn’t have to be the fastest or the quietest (although I’d be happy if it were quieter than the Lite-On). I want to be able to verify or scan (or whatever it’s called) disks after burning to make sure they’re okay. I’ve been using Nero’s Disc Speed utility.

I use Nero 6 Ultra. I use good media – I have a stash of Maxells and Sonys I bought when they were still MIJ. For everyday use, I’ve been using Verbatims. FWIW, I think I can rule out media as a cause of the Lite-On’s problems, because all of my media works fine in my old burner, an external Sony (I think it’s a DRX-810UL). I’ve been very happy with the Sony, but I want an internal burner.

So, what are the best, most reliable internal SATA burners these days? Anything else you need to know from me before making a recommendation? My PC is about a year old, if that matters.

TIA,

Mallomar

Hi,

for scanning, a Liteon is still the best choice.
For general use burning, you might have a look at the Pioneer 215 or 216 series, alternatively the Nec 7200 series drives.

Michael

Michael,

When you say that the Liteons are the best choice for scanning, do you mean for doing disk quality scans? Does this mean not all of the new burners can do the scans, or just not as well as the Liteons?

Which is the best Liteon model? I’m a little hesitant to buy another Liteon since I did not get good performance out of this one.

The Pioneer and Necs – are they not able to do the disk quality scans?

For years I didn’t even know it was possible to scan burned disks – I just assumed that if I didn’t get any error messages when I burned them, that they were okay.

FWIW, I’m not concerned about checking the speed or the disks or anything like that – all I care about is verifying that the burned files are there, there are no damaged or unreadable sectors (or whatever they’re called), etc.

Thanks,

Mallomar

Hi,[quote=Mallomar;2142946]
When you say that the Liteons are the best choice for scanning, do you mean for doing disk quality scans?[/quote]Yes. But only for DVD media, not for CD.

Does this mean not all of the new burners can do the scans, or just not as well as the Liteons?
Liteon drives have to most complete disc scanning support, and they are the most reliable scanners at the moment.

Which is the best Liteon model? I’m a little hesitant to buy another Liteon since I did not get good performance out of this one.
I can understand this. I have no idea what Liteon drive is to be recommended.

The Pioneer and Necs – are they not able to do the disk quality scans?
Nec 7200 series can scan, but I don’t know about the scanning performance compared to Liteon drives. Some features are missing. If I remember correctly, there were some posts (o even threads) in the Nec subforum.

FWIW, I’m not concerned about checking the speed or the disks or anything like that – all I care about is verifying that the burned files are there, there are no damaged or unreadable sectors (or whatever they’re called), etc.
If this is good enough for you, then I would prefer the Pioneer.

You’re Welcome,
Michael

i want to bring this one back up.
Are the pioneers still one of the better recommends?

I have a drv 111 and a dvr 112 right now, but i just upgraded my motherboard and chip, now i only have 1 IDE channel and i need it for an IDE drive as well. So i had to pull the 112 and i need a good quality sata drive to replace it.

It was used mainly just for reading media and disc to disc, but alas, after many trusty years and EASILY 750+ burns i fear the 111 is starting to be on its way out. So i want to get an sata that has really good quality writes.

80% of what i do with my system is video and audio so quality burns are more important than reading or speed or anything else really.

o and for the record im set on media, i literally only use TY premium for dvd -/+ and verbaitum for DL.

Thanks in advance and i hope to hear from yall soon

For me the Pioneer 215 is the most reliable and complete burner 2008. Especially if CDR is important, a shame for some DVD burners but not for the Pioneer. The only thing what is missing is scanning.

If the 216 can hold on tight with his relevant is not quite sure until yet imho needs still some firmware tuning from Pioneer. But for sure a very good burner too. I think not better than Nec 7200S or LG GH20.

The best current SATA burner on the market is the Optiarc AD-7200S. It simply works. Buy it.

Please don’t let the folks on this forum lead you down a path of confusion. All the mumbo-jumbo having to do with quality scanning is unnecessary for 99% of one’s needs. Unless you are an obsessive geek or nerd, don’t worry about any of that. Just get a good burner and use good media, and you’ll have little to worry or think about.

Optiarc AD-7200S + Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden = Happiness

That’s all you need to know.

:iagree: completely. I rarely buy drives just to stock them up, but I’m seriously considering buying an extra 7200S or two before the market dries up. They’re honestly that good - CD- and DVD-wise. On the aspect of scanning - the Optiarc 720x series are only good for CDs, DVD scans are unreliable - but with a writer this good (and coupled with reliable high-quality media) you won’t be worrying too much about scanning your discs.

[QUOTE=negritude;2188331]That’s all you need to know.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

i have never even heard of optiarc, do they really compare with the pioneers that well?

anyone else have any input? i guess to really specifiy better i was looking for the pioneer 111 of 2008… Bueller?