What are the most tolerant drives for reading CD-ROM disks

vbimport

I have some CD-ROM disks that were burned a few years ago on another system. My current system is a DELL latitude D620 laptop with a Philips CDRW/DVD SCB5265 The CDs were probably recorded on a lite-on drive.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’ve found that the Samsung (DVD) burners that I’ve owned do a pretty good job in that department. LiteOn (MTK chipset, same as the Samsungs) can also be good, but my experience there is with older LiteOn drives.

Yeah the lasers in the writers are more sensitively calibrated so if you’ve any dodgy discs, trying to read them in a CD/DVD writer may be more successful.

The disc may have deteriorated or have been damaged beyond recovery though.

If the label side has been scratched and the silvered layer has been damaged then it’s impossible to recover (hold the disc up to the light to check for this).

If the other side is scratched you may be able to repair the disc by repolishing or various other methods.

[B]Wombler[/B]

DVD writers are better yet for dealing with dodgy discs.

My preferences lean to NEC, optiarc or LG drives in that order
but I’m hardly an expert

AD

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2515649]I have some CD-ROM disks that were burned a few years ago on another system. My current system is a DELL latitude D620 laptop with a Philips CDRW/DVD SCB5265 The CDs were probably recorded on a lite-on drive.[/QUOTE]

CD-ROM is not burned but pressed media.

Grab an actual Liteon burner.