What are the implications of an overclocked burner?

I have seen lots of liteon burners being able to achieve much higher speeds than it was advertised.

I was wondering, with this talk about overclocking burners, what are the implications of doing it onto the drives? Are the implications similiar as to overclocking other computer components (notably, the CPU)?

Will the drive become unstable? Will it perform hotter? Will drives that are overclocked have lesser lifespan than un-overclocked drives?

I hope you could enlighten me on this topic.
Thanks in advance people.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

CPU overclocking is true overclocking, i.e. the processor is running at a higher clock frequency.

Overclocking as pertains to burners is simply a familiar term used to describe using firmware hacks to change the model number (and speed) of a burner. This works when the basic hardware is identical and the only significant difference in models is the firmware.

An overclocked drive shouldn’t become unstable any more than a standard model of the same speed.

If it runs at a faster speed, it will generate more heat, but not necessarily to a level of concern.

All else being equal, an overclocked drive should have the same lifespan as a standard model of the same speed rating. Most burners are replaced before they fail.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]CPU overclocking is true overclocking, i.e. the processor is running at a higher clock frequency.

Overclocking as pertains to burners is simply a familiar term used to describe using firmware hacks to change the model number (and speed) of a burner. This works when the basic hardware is identical and the only significant difference in models is the firmware.

An overclocked drive shouldn’t become unstable any more than a standard model of the same speed.

If it runs at a faster speed, it will generate more heat, but not necessarily to a level of concern.

All else being equal, an overclocked drive should have the same lifespan as a standard model of the same speed rating. Most burners are replaced before they fail. [/B]

So basically, an example, like the Liteon 24103s/32123s and their overclocked 40125s uses exactly the same hardware with only differences with their pre-programmed firmware?

I mean, once the slower models are programmed at rates of a 40125s, then they will perform exactly the same?

Yes.

If you read the threads at http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54277 and http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42344 you will find all of your questions answered by actual experience of users.

So basically, an example, like the Liteon 24103s/32123s and their overclocked 40125s uses exactly the same hardware with only differences with their pre-programmed firmware?

This is not a good example:

LTR-24103S = LTR-32123S != LTR-40125S (XSU1)

We can be far more confident with:

LTR-32125W = LTR-40125S/W = LTR-48125W

Now, if you read the above links before asking…

In the case of XSU1 there are two other obvious implications:

1. You loose your warranty (unles you are able to flash back to original firmware after a failure of the drive and before shiping it to repair.

2. You loose the ability to use future Firmware updates from Liteon when they become available.

Originally posted by flyer.flyer
2) You loose the ability to use future Firmware updates from Liteon when they become available.

We have yet to see that, the windows flasher will probably not work but MTKFlash may…

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]

We have yet to see that, the windows flasher will probably not work but MTKFlash may… [/B]

How do we convert the future LTR-40125S windows file to the bin format?
And do you think it will work directly or are there other thinks to change before flashing it in?
How exactly was the XSU1 made?

On second thought, I think the windows flashers may work, since XSU1 is a LiteOn OEM firmware… But I don’t know for sure…

The XSU1 firmware was extracted from a LTR-40125S.
New firmware releases will flash “real” (maybe OC’ed too) 40125S, and after that the firmware can be extracted using MTKFlash.
Then (if the windows flasher doesn’t work on XSU1) somebody brave decides to test the firmware if it works with the OC’ed 40125S.

(Of course the windows flasher can be edited to flash any 40125S but let’s not get into that here…)

Thanks Airhead,

I was conviced that the XSU1 was firmware modified by some guy from this forum. My mistake.:o

So now I think that the Winflasher will work if Liteon releases something for the EOM drive.

Airhead,

I agree about the window flasher mod discussion opening up here is uncalled for here. But, I can tell you that I can crank the XSU1.bin file WINDOW FLASHER out in about two minutes that would allow all you 24x-32x “S” drive peeps out there to jump back and forth to a LTR-40125S without leaving windows.

I honestly think it would serve this forum and the users here better if they did not play with mtkflash–I am constantly reading threads where peeps are hosing their drives with mtkflash. This can all be avoided with the modified window flashers I made–consequently I made these back in early June, so if anyone had done a search in this forum, they could have saved themselves headaches.

mtkflash rules for sure–but it is not neccessary. Mtkflash should only be used when you hose your drive and need to recover it.

Yes windows-flashers are much much better, but modifying LiteOn’s flash-program is illegal, and we will not allow “tutorials” on how to modify the flash-program on our forum.

You can make your own flash-program (I guess you won’t ;)) (or maybe say “Hey, I’ve got a LTR-40125S XSU1 windows-flasher, if anybody is interested PM me”:))

When using MTKFlash you’re not tampering with any code, it extracts the firmware exactly as it is, and same with flashing. And MTKFlash is free to use, so there’s no legal aspect of using it.

Bravo! Airhead,
you are the big defender of the powerfulls against the weaks :cop:

Ok I just can’t see what can be wrong with the Winflasher from PorchSong, I guess it just reads and sends the EPROM data from/to the chip in the Windows environment instead of DOS environment.
Are you sure this is illegal or am I missing something?

Let me clarify.
A official firmware update from LiteOn comes in Windows-flashers. These programs are set up so that a firmware-upgrade for an 24102S doesn’t work on an 32123S (even though the firmware itself works for both drives). Some experienced users however know how to remove that lock, making the flasher for 32123S work on a 24103S.

The Windows-firmware-flashers from LiteOn is LiteOn intellectual property, and modifying it the way mentioned above is illegal.

However, using MTKFlash to extract and flash the firmware is legal, as it does not alter anything in the firmware (and you don’t have to alter anything in MTKFlash either). :slight_smile:

Great,
just being candid:
get the same result using different ways! Hmmmm
This sounds good and leaves everybody happy … until loyers of the powerfull find new rules to limit even more our freedom.

Intellectual property is tricky thing and it may (at the end) kill all creativity even if it claims exactly the opposite!

But sorry this isn’t the right place for such philosophical stuff and to finish on a good feeling Airhead, It’s great to have a forum like this.

1. You loose your warranty (unles you are able to flash back to original firmware after a failure of the drive and before shiping it to repair.

Am i the only one notice one thing ???
You lose the date and Serial numbers (see it with Nero Info Tools ) if you flash a new firmware …

My SAmsung CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Pioneer 115 still have date and serial number perfectly,but when i update firmware of my CD-ROM and flash Pioneer to RPC-1 ,i lose my serial number :frowning:

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]Let me clarify.
A official firmware update from LiteOn comes in Windows-flashers. These programs are set up so that a firmware-upgrade for an 24102S doesn’t work on an 32123S (even though the firmware itself works for both drives). Some experienced users however know how to remove that lock, making the flasher for 32123S work on a 24103S.

The Windows-firmware-flashers from LiteOn is LiteOn intellectual property, and modifying it the way mentioned above is illegal.

However, using MTKFlash to extract and flash the firmware is legal, as it does not alter anything in the firmware (and you don’t have to alter anything in MTKFlash either). :slight_smile: [/B]

I agree with this statement which is why I have NEVER posted a guide regarding this matter, nor given a DIRECT link to where these loaders are hosted.

Now, I have for, er. . . . intellectual and theoretical discussion :cool:, discussed parts of the loader and locations of items within the loader to help other peeps with some problems. But, I have not and will not produce a step by step guide out of respect for OC-Freaks request that I not do so.

That’s OK PorchSong, this way all we need to know, we know and so we progress all togetther