What are the better Brands and which to stay Away from

I’m looking to replace my internal writer with another dual layer writer. What in general it the better brand to look for or stay away from?

So after looking and reading reveiws of all the different brands of Dual Layer IDE/ATA writers here in this forum, and looking at current offerings at sellers, i.e. Best Buy, New Egg, Amazon, Circuit City, etc, it seems that no particular brand or model stands out as the one to get. In reading through all the brand forums here, there seems to be issues with all brands and models, whether it be a user, or hardware problem.

It really appears to me that what ever of the more popular brands or models I decide to buy, it will be a total crap shoot. The only thing I guess I can fall back on is the old saying, “You get what you pay for”. So I guess I’ll have to steer away from low prices and go with the higher ones and hope for the best. I’ll also have to buy from a place like Best Buy, where if I run into problems, I can take it back.

In short, “the almighty, king of all Dual DVD writers” I was looking for doesn’t exist.

[QUOTE=aacc;2216567]In short, “the almighty, king of all Dual DVD writers” I was looking for doesn’t exist.[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

Yes that is correct and the reason a lot of us have many drives.

What drive do you have at this time?

[QUOTE=Bob;2216570]Welcome to CDF’s:

Yes that is correct and the reason a lot of us have many drives.

What drive do you have at this time?[/QUOTE]

I have a Dual Layer Light Scribe HP 940D, in a Pentium 4, XP2, Media Center. The only reason I think I need to replace it is because the writer just will not burn dual layer DVD’s and I’ve exhausted all the options and fixed as to find what the problem may be, i.e. firmware, DMA, etc, etc. So that leaves me to believe my writer is bad, even though it has not been greatly used.

I only recently tried to see how the dual layer would work but it doesn’t.

How exactly are you going about burning a DL blank, what blanks are you using, and what burn speed? Most of us have good luck with ImgBurn and Verbatim DL blanks.

I just did a quick search and see that the HP 940i is a DL burner so i guess your HP 940D is one as well.

[QUOTE=Bob;2216599]How exactly are you going about burning a DL blank, what blanks are you using, and what burn speed? Most of us have good luck with ImgBurn and Verbatim DL blanks.

I just did a quick search and see that the HP 940i is a DL burner so i guess your HP 940D is one as well.[/QUOTE]

Bob - thanks for taking the time to reply.

I went straight to Verbatim disc, MKM001’s I bought from Office Max to avoid quality issue from the start. I tried using Nero Express 6 and from my Pinnacle Studio 10.7. I also tried the Nero CD/DVD Test Drive and I get the write error (030C00) after about a minute. The writer/Nero does give me the disc info so at least it does read it. I did try a lense cleaner disc too. The writer burns all other single layer discs fine with no issues. The speed I was burning at was 2.4X I believe.

Yes, the HP940d should be the same as the HP940i, I’ve been online with HP twice for too long already and they we’re no help. Really bad in fact…

I don’t really know about these things other than what I have been learning for this issue, but just seems to me that the drive would be the problem and not the software…??? At first I thought there must just be some setting in my PC, but now I guess not.

About the only thing left to try if you want to is install it in another pc and see. or like you say to avoid rma’s go grab something from BestBuy and see what happens so you can return it easier. I haven’t been to BB in so long i don’t remember what they carry.

I never really heard of only burning SL blanks and not DL’s. Usually one or the other (CD’s or DVD’s) will stop reading/burning due to separate lasers for them.