What are the appropriate temperatures for storing optical medias?

vbimport

Some medias optical manufacturers say a DVD + R disc has a useful life expectancy of 30 ~ 50 years in normal storage conditions, other manufacturers say 100 years in good condition

1 For a life of 30 years the DVD + R disc should be stored at which temperature ºC?

2 For the same DVD + R disc have an expected useful life of 50 years which the temperature it should be stored ºC?

Life of optical media really isn’t predictable enough to answer those questions, even if marketing departments try to convince you otherwise.

High temperatures and high humidity will reduce life expectancy, but poor media can degrade even under good environmental conditions. I wouldn’t depend on any common recordable optical media to last 30+ years.

What is the difference between 25 ° C and 50% RH, using Eyring model and using Arrhenius model?

What is the difference between 25 ° C and 50% RH, using Eyring model and using Arrhenius model?

How do I get low humidity without the use of silica gel and air conditioning?

[QUOTE=retrogamer15;2767984]How do I get low humidity without the use of silica gel and air conditioning?[/QUOTE]
You… Don’t. I mean, you can find a place with low humidity & pack your discs in an airtight container there.

But to make a room low humidity you have to find ways to remove moisture from the air – you’ll still end up using an air conditioner or dehumidifier.

You can generally store discs in environments that humans feel comfortable in & they’ll be fine.

I do not use air conditioning because the energy bill is high
as would be a suitable environment for storing these DVD discs without using air conditioning. silica and dehumidifier?

Buy second hand fridge and put them in there?

If you set the coldness to a lower setting it won’t use much power and should keep the discs free from humidity and light.

Unconventional but might work ;p

some people say that to preserve the long-term CD and DVD the temperature to be 18 ° C, 22 ° C, 25 ° C, what is the truth in all this? what temperature should I base myself?

It differs! :slight_smile:

No two people agree on one temperature. This is why I say a comfortable human temperature will work. If it is easy for you to keep the discs at 22°C because the environment is also at 22°C, that will be fine.

Just don’t expose them to extreme heat that you would not like. Do not expose them to extreme cold that you would not like. The discs were designed to be used by humans in a normal human environment & will survive fine at any temperature you listed.

More important is that you check the discs maybe twice a year to ensure they are still readable & keep multiple copies.

If a DVD + R disc was manufactured to be stored at a temperature of 25 ° C and have a useful life of 40 years, if there is an increase in temperature + 10 ° C degrees (36 ° C) which will reduce the useful life expectancy this DVDR disc?

Yes. 35°C is warm, and will reduce lifespan by a few years compared to 25°C. But often, if kept in a dark dry place, this will not be a big problem. Also, this assumes a constant temperature.

If you keep the discs in a place where during the day it is 35°C, but at night it is 20°C, you can keep the discs in an insulated container and the temperature would be fine.

if the DVD + R disc has an estimated useful life of 40 years at temperature 25 ° C if the DVD disc is stored at a temperature of 36 ° C reduces its useful life in what percentage and how many years?

It’s unknown. All tests have been accelerated aging tests. DVDs are still too new to have real data.

For bad discs, maybe you have 50% lifespan at 35°C. Good discs may have 90% or 95% lifespan. It is really unknown.

[QUOTE=retrogamer15;2768017]What is the difference between 25 ° C and 50% RH, using Eyring model and using Arrhenius model?[/QUOTE]

Please rephrase the question. Right now, this makes no sense.

If you are looking at ECMA tests:
Eyring model and Arrhenius model are two different tests.

Eyring assumes you are using controlled storage (25 degrees, 50 percent humidity)

Arrhenius model assumes you just put it in some uncontrolled environment (30 degrees, 80 percent humidity).

But both try to tell you how long discs will last. If you expect bad storage conditions, use results from the Arrhenius model. If you expect good storage conditions, use results from the Eyring model.

my storage conditions are bad 30 ° C ~ 36 ° C Humidity 35% ~ 64% but I do not know how old the dvdr disc will live in these conditions

25 ° C 50% humidity his useful life is 40 years

You cannot tell.

“40 years” is the guess in ONE test. Some tests might say 10 years. Other tests might say 50 years.

Right now, I can tell you that you will get AT LEAST 15 years (DVDs have been around that long).

Keep your discs out of direct light. Keep your discs away from direct heat. If the discs are good, they will last at least 15 years.

What discs do you use?

The manufacturer of my dvdr disc is CMC and they said by email:
With respect to safety of data / Iifetime of the product, CMC can give The Following statement
is its 16X DVDR products:
Accelerated aging tests que follow the standard of ECMA 379 / ISO 10995 allow to expect
que CMC 16X DVDR can be archived for at least 40 years if the conditions are Following
met:
· ï€ The 16X DVDR archiving are stored under standard conditions (25 ° C, 50% relative
humidity, protected against light and against dust and other pollution).
· ï€ The 16X DVDR are treated enquiry.c, and Especially the surface is not damaged by
scratches, stains, etc.
· ï€ The used hardware and software for the writing and reading of the 16X DVDR is in
well condition.
· ï€ The 16X DVDR only have Been used for the intended purpose of recording date

they spoke the truth or lie?

They did not lie. CMC sometimes has low quality discs, but most CMC discs are good or very good. Good CMC discs do not degrade quickly. 40 years @ 25ºC/50% relative humidity sounds correct.

If the degradation is accelerated because of a bad disc (data is exposed to air and moisture): This kind of failure is VERY fast, but is very obvious.

Otherwise, with a good disc: make sure the temperature does not change very quickly, do not use the discs very often. I think you can get 20 to 25 years @ 36ºC/65%RH without issue. After 20 to 25 years @ 36ºC/65%RH, degradation might start. I do not think a disc would fail until 30 or 35 years @ 36ºC/65%RH. Most discs will last longer.

Because the temperature can drop to 30ºC, I do not think temperature will be a big problem. Keep them in an insulated case, and this will keep them a little cooler.