What are the 2nd and 3rd best DVD+R DL media

vbimport

I need DVD+R DL discs for data. Verbatims are a bit too expensive thats why I’m looking into other options. The most important part is probably that the discs must not be defect (never happened with Verbatims) and realiable meaning the data must still be available after a year.
Purchasing in EU.

Regards

Well there are Verbs and then there is nothing reliable.

[QUOTE=Bob;2023931]Well there are Verbs and then there is nothing reliable.[/QUOTE]
Bob, what do you think of Taiyo Yuden’s?

[QUOTE=Vampirtc;2023927]…and realiable meaning the data must still be available after a year.
Purchasing in EU.

Regards[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but chances of non-Verbatim DL discs lasting that long seem pretty small to me.

If I want (DL) media that’s gonna last longer than a year, I’d definitely shell out the extra for Verbatim - unfortunately “cheap” and “quality” don’t often go together.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2023933]Bob, what do you think of Taiyo Yuden’s?[/QUOTE]For SL media i love TY’s but i never had any TY DL’s. I think TY only make -R DL’s

I’m not sure whether firmware support for TY DVD-R DL actually exists.
You could try some genuine Ricoh DL (not the fake Hong Kong trash), but even with those the compatibility is not as good as Verbatims.

I’m pretty sure you’d end up paying a pretty penny for TY DVD-R DL, if you could find it. And I’m with Max, Bob, and Lin.

To add to that: you’ll end up paying more in the end for inferior stuff than you will for Verbatim. I’ve noticed someone who’s purchased some TDK DVD+R DLs, and they totally took out the data on them. And the DLs had the only copy of the data. So it was lost…

Moral: just stay with Verbatim, and try to find good deals on them when possible. :iagree:

So no other manufacturer has come close to Verbatims? Of course like I’ve mentioned the media must be available in EU.

I had some fairly decent luck with Philips.

Philips could be Ritek, Ricoh or CMC… it’s a gamble :frowning:

Verbatim DL discs are actually “cheaper” than other brands .
Imagine 10 Verbatim DL discs for 10 Euros and 10 “other brand” for 7 Euros
You burn the 10 Verbatims with 100% success rate , so 10 Euros give you 10 DL Discs

You then burn 10 “other brand” DL discs with 50% success rate (not saying that even the successful burns will still play fine in the future!)

So 7 Euros five you 5 DL discs (that will propably degrade )

Do the math :wink:

I’ve seen some DL become cheap here in Australia lately. Around 1 dollar per disc. Quite good price I’m going to try some. If you get a good media/writer combination then you might have a good success rate.

The brands I am looking at are intact and Ridata. Should CMC MAG and Ritek I think. Not sure which to go for. I’m thinking the intact branded CMC MAG?

Well HP dvd+r dl aren’t that bad at all, probably the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Aren’t there supposed to be some Made in Singapore Sony DL’s that have appeared in various places, that use the same dye as the verbatim’s? I’ve never gone looking for them, but I thought I’d read they’d been spotted in several wal-marts (allthough this was quite a while ago).

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2024171]I’ve seen some DL become cheap here in Australia lately. Around 1 dollar per disc. Quite good price I’m going to try some. If you get a good media/writer combination then you might have a good success rate.

The brands I am looking at are intact and Ridata. Should CMC MAG and Ritek I think. Not sure which to go for. I’m thinking the intact branded CMC MAG?[/QUOTE]

I’d go the Intact’s…

[QUOTE=Zod;2024643]Aren’t there supposed to be some Made in Singapore Sony DL’s that have appeared in various places, that use the same dye as the verbatim’s? I’ve never gone looking for them, but I thought I’d read they’d been spotted in several wal-marts (allthough this was quite a while ago).[/QUOTE]They’re not real plentiful and they’re just Sony branded Verbs.

[QUOTE=Vampirtc;2023927][B]I need DVD+R DL discs for data.[/B] Verbatims are a bit too expensive thats why I’m looking into other options. The most important part is probably that the discs must not be defect (never happened with Verbatims) and realiable meaning the data must still be available after a year.
Purchasing in EU.

Regards[/QUOTE]

For DATA you can use DVD-R DL & DVD+R DL.
I found no issues with both, using Verbatim and newer RICOH ones.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2023971]Verbatim DL discs are actually “cheaper” than other brands .
Imagine 10 Verbatim DL discs for 10 Euros and 10 “other brand” for 7 Euros
You burn the 10 Verbatims with 100% success rate , so 10 Euros give you 10 DL Discs

You then burn 10 “other brand” DL discs with 50% success rate (not saying that even the successful burns will still play fine in the future!)

So 7 Euros five you 5 DL discs (that will propably degrade )

Do the math ;)[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head!!! :wink:

Only Verbatim MIS
there is NO 2nd and 3rd best DVD+R DL media