What are NU40,NU50,NSC0,NS95,NSD1,LU30,LU38,–…?

What do they mean?

• BE14 NU40
  • BE16 NU50

etc.

BE14 or GH24 obviously stands for the peak speed of the dedicated media. B stands for BluRay. The E and the U in BU20,BU40 is unknown to me.

In the instruction manual for my LG GP50NB40 portable drive:

P = portable

B = black color

(There is a GP50NW40 model which is purportedly white colored. So W = white color.)

For something like the LG GH24NS95 drive, H = half height internal drive. (ie. Approximately 1.6 inches height for what would be a generic internal drive nowadays for a desktop).

• 24 is probably the maximum burning speed.
  • S probably means “sata”.

Older pata LG versions from more than a decade ago, were ones like GH22NP30. P probably means “pata” (ie. the old parallel ata interface). 22 is probably maximum burning speed.

There were also older models which had lightscribe, such as GH22LS50. So L is probably lightscribe.

LG doesn’t seem to sync the numbering system between their portable drives and desktop half-height drives. They mind as well be completely different unrelated product lines in terms of numbering.

My GP50NB40 portable drive behaves like Mediatek chipset. (Mine has a December 2013 manufacturing date). I have no idea what the “50” represents in GP50NB40.

My older GH22LS50 drive is a Renases chipset. The “50” here doesn’t seem to have any relation to my GP50 portable LG drive.

The “E” usually means “external”.

Among the slimline (laptop) drives, “T” and “U” denote 9.5mm and 12.7mm respectively (BT30N, BU30N).

I see, thanks.

Are 12.7mm drives better than 9.5mm?
What is the purpose of 2 different sizes?

These drives were originally designed for laptops, although with less and less real estate available in desktop and tower PC’s, they are appearing on those computers too (if they include an optical drive at all). Both are considered to be inherently inferior to standard half-height optical drives.

As laptops became thinner, the need for thinner optical drives arose. I am not aware of any systematic testing of the two different sizes of slimline optical drives.

Thanks for informing.

Actually, the vast majority of desktop PCs and laptops I see at tech stores are equipped with 1 or 2 optical disc drives, 5-10 years ago sometimes even 3 built in.
Some desktop PCs I saw had two slim drives instead of one desktop drive.

Laptop drives are,due to restricted speed, more noise at equal speed, and less insertion comfort, technically inferior (except (for) error correction, where they (BU20N and SE208DB) even occasionally beat the desktop drives (e.g. WM SH-S182,BE14NU40) I have at home) but also save power. Only 60% of power consumption at same rotation speed.

I wonder, why the 12.7mm is not any faster than ×24/×8/×6 (CD/DVD/BD). What is the advantage of 12.7mm then? .

As I explained before, the 12.7mm drives came first; they were not developed because they had an advantage over thinner drives that didn’t exist yet. The thinner drives were produced because of a need to fit into thinner laptops (I think the Macs started this with their slot-load thin drives).

I see, I overlooked that.
12.7mm is still being produced.

In my opinion, it should reach higher speeds such as DVD×12 and CD×32.
Also ×8 for BD at least.