What are dynamic disks and how they are different from basic disks?

vbimport

While searching for some disk cloning application, I went through a new terminology - “Dynamic disk”.

What that in our Mac machines? Is it dynamic or Basic

[QUOTE=ranvirkumar;2619577]While searching for some disk cloning application, I went through a new terminology - “Dynamic disk”.

What that in our Mac machines? Is it dynamic or Basic[/QUOTE]

Read:

and remain baffled:)

Seriously when I bought my first pair of 750gb WD black HDD’s
my system at the time gave me fits formatting the drives the only option that wasn’t greyed out was “dynamic, simple volume” so I let it do it…no issues, however after Migrating to my new 64bit system my newer computer kept ASSuming that because those drives were “dynamic” that they were part of a RAID volume and kept wanting to make the second drive a mirror of the first… unfortunatly they did NOT contain identical data so I had to migrate the data off the drives (one drive at a time) format them as basic volumes, then move the data back on.

Curiously Now I want to convert them to dymanic volumes and set them up in RAID-1 (Mirrored volumes) because now they DO contain identical information.

atleast RAID will be easy to set-up on this system because it WANTS to
make RAID… (ASUS IPIBL-TX “Burbank” (HP) MoBo)

You only need to know this:

Basic volumes and dynamic volumes differ in ability to extend storage beyond one physical disk.