What are dvd-r or dvd+r; dvd-rw cds?

vbimport

#1

i was trying to buy a dvd burner… and it gave me all these different speeds for different types of cds…dvd-r; dvd+r; dvd-rw… etc…
what do the -r ; +r and rw at the end mean?? and what’s the difference between them??


#2

Hi drakenapollo and welcome to the forum.

CD :

cd-recordable : one time recording
cd-rewritable : many times recording

There are several formats of cd’s. most have to do with the capacity :

standard 74 minute cd-recordable (650 mb)
80 minutes ( about 700 mb)
99 minutes

etc.

DVD :

There are two formats : + and - ; The main difference is the method of writing. It depends on the reader if it can read + , - or both. Currently , ALL of them are Single Sided Single Layer DVD’s , which means there’s one writable side of 4.7 Gigs.

rw : rewritable
r : recordable

If this is your first dvd writer , i suggest purchasing a dual-burner (one that can write + and well as -). The Nec 2500 is quite a nice choiche for this.

If you want more details , please read some of the articles we have posted throughout the years.


#3

hey. thx for the help.
this is my 1st dvd burner… i selected one from best buy…

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1067391396288&skuId=6196617&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01041

could u plz take a look at it and tell me if its a good decision to buy this… also… my budget isnt exactly very high so im looking for the cheapest good one…
thx


#4

Originally posted by drakenapollo
[B]hey. thx for the help.
this is my 1st dvd burner… i selected one from best buy…

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1067391396288&skuId=6196617&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01041

could u plz take a look at it and tell me if its a good decision to buy this… also… my budget isnt exactly very high so im looking for the cheapest good one…
thx [/B]

LiteOn 8x DVD+R; 4x DVD-R; 40x CD-R

That’s a very nice writer. You can read the CdFreaks review about it here


#5

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]That’s a very nice writer. You can read the CdFreaks review about it here

[/B]

Hi I am new here also. I have been reading the furoms that have been posted. I bought the TDK 880N DVD Dual Burner. I havn’t seen anything on this here. Are there any comments on this one??? I haven’t gotten my computer yet. Will be shipped to me by the 8th it says. Hope this burner will be good with no problems. As is my first one. I have been burning cd’s on old pc. Really like that.
Can anyone give me some thought on this???

DS~


#6

Originally posted by DS88
Hi I am new here also. I have been reading the furoms that have been posted. I bought the TDK 880N DVD Dual Burner. I havn’t seen anything on this here. Are there any comments on this one??? I haven’t gotten my computer yet. Will be shipped to me by the 8th it says. Hope this burner will be good with no problems. As is my first one. I have been burning cd’s on old pc. Really like that.
Can anyone give me some thought on this???

The TDK 880N is actually the same as the NEC ND-2500. (Well, the front plate is different, and there are some firmware differences. But inside, they are identical.)

You can find a review of the TDK at www.cdrlabs.com and a review of the ND-2500 here at CDFreaks.


#7

Thank you… I have been trying to decide weather to keep this drive or get the Plextor 708a…


#8

Originally posted by DS88
Thank you… I have been trying to decide weather to keep this drive or get the Plextor 708a…

Nono … don’t get a 708A! It costs 2X a much and there are too many problems with it!! (Read the Plextor forum and see for yourself!)

I have a 708A and I want to sell it and get a TDK 880 / NEC ND-2500.


#9

Wow I am so releived to hear I didn’t make a bad choice! The TDK and the Plextor are the same price right now at Best Buy with the rebates. That is why I was continplating the issue. Plus the Roxio suite. It looks good with all the features like the photo, burning, etc… in it.
But with the TDK I get the Roxio 6.
I just found out the TDK is new also. Fairly.
Thanks for the advice!

DS~