What are compatible hdd's for an upgrade

I am thinking I need to get a new hdd. I gave up trying to reboot, reinstall re-everything and want to get a new oem hdd for my old desktop, (now to be my kids system). I cannot find anyplace that will confirm what hdd’s would be compatible. emachine website said they had a 40gb upgrade, i would like to know what is compatible, and what options/max is for a new hdd (i have an xp home system cd, but I didn’t get an install cd when I bought it (I upgraded from windows ME). Is there a website that will confirm compatibilities etc? The system is an emonster 500 with a 13gb eide, 3.5” hdd. HELP!

[QUOTE=mooc;1970454]I am thinking I need to get a new hdd. I gave up trying to reboot, reinstall re-everything and want to get a new oem hdd for my old desktop, (now to be my kids system). I cannot find anyplace that will confirm what hdd’s would be compatible. emachine website said they had a 40gb upgrade, i would like to know what is compatible, and what options/max is for a new hdd (i have an xp home system cd, but I didn’t get an install cd when I bought it (I upgraded from windows ME). Is there a website that will confirm compatibilities etc? The system is an emonster 500 with a 13gb eide, 3.5” hdd. HELP! [/QUOTE]

Can you find out what the name and model of the HDD is? That will help other here you find a drive to match your system. Also I would stay away from ME is a trouble O/S rather go with XP pro sp2 that would better suit your needs and hardware. Also don’t just take their word that they can upgrade for you…there always better alternatives so don’t limit your choice ok. But find out what kind HDD you have if you can open your case if it is not still in warranty??? Here a link of what some users of emachine did to upgrade maybe you can see what options are there for you to do

Can you give more specs on your emachine would also give us a idea of what your motherboard is as well.

[quote=coolcolors;1970481]Can you find out what the name and model of the HDD is? That will help other here you find a drive to match your system. Also I would stay away from ME is a trouble O/S rather go with XP pro sp2 that would better suit your needs and hardware. Also don’t just take their word that they can upgrade for you…there always better alternatives so don’t limit your choice ok. But find out what kind HDD you have if you can open your case if it is not still in warranty??? Here a link of what some users of emachine did to upgrade maybe you can see what options are there for you to do

Can you give more specs on your emachine would also give us a idea of what your motherboard is as well.[/quote]

i opened case and found the following: current hdd is Maxtor 87000D8; 7 GB;Enhanced ATA/IDE, on hdd bracket it has “HDD Master: 303094”. closest thing to a model# on motherboard is “Mat, No: 110162 19990814” it is emonster 500, emachine website says: 64MB SDRAM, MB = MB Napoli-2, CPU = P3 500MHz Slot 1 SECC2. does this help? thanks-mooc

May I suggest that it is very possible that your BIOS will not allow a really big HDD upgrade. Not only that, but you also tell us you only have 64MB of RAM and that is well below the minimum for XP. I will only upgrade machines such as yours with XP if they have 256, otherwise there are performance issues that can make for a very long day.
The best thing for you is to remove all of the programs-but NOT the opeating system-unless you have the e-machine recovery discs. The unit is destined fo your kids and will be limited in what it can do for them. Add programs that they really need to have. The alternative is to buy or build a new computer that is current technology.
Just my 2 cents

[QUOTE=mooc;1971450]i opened case and found the following: current hdd is Maxtor 87000D8; 7 GB;Enhanced ATA/IDE, on hdd bracket it has “HDD Master: 303094”. closest thing to a model# on motherboard is “Mat, No: 110162 19990814” it is emonster 500, emachine website says: 64MB SDRAM, MB = MB Napoli-2, CPU = P3 500MHz Slot 1 SECC2. does this help? thanks-mooc[/QUOTE]

I did look for a motherboad matching your spec and found a pdf file of the board take a look at the link pdf and tell me if it match your specs or your e500 machine???
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/125/Napoli2.pdf
I wait for you reply if this matches your system…but look like if you by a IDE under 137MB O/S limit you should be ok but do look at the pdf file and tell me if that matches your system and that should also give you a better look at your system as well…

Jesus! That things OoooooooLlllD!! Did you get it from Deeep inside a cargo ship ?
XP will NOT work on that machine whatsoever…Win98/98se/ME are the only ones that will work…SAVe Up n buy a Newer PC…You won’t regret it.

Linux or w2000 should also work, but 64mb RAM is really too less.