What appears to be a 1080p TV, may actually not be a 1080p TV

vbimport

I just posted the article What appears to be a 1080p TV, may actually not be a 1080p TV.

Buyer beware! If it isn’t bad enough with the format wars for high definition, coupled with the strangling DRM of the content constraints, now we have to be darn careful if we…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11948-What-appears-to-be-a-1080p-TV-may-actually-not-be-a-1080p-TV.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11948-What-appears-to-be-a-1080p-TV-may-actually-not-be-a-1080p-TV.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

As Nelson would say Ha! Ha! :r

This could be wrong, but I think I read in Sound and Vision or Home Theater Magazine that it takes something like a 60"+ screen to display all the pixels for a 1080p, fixed pixel screen (like LCD, DLP). Plus, most TV’s that are marketed as 1080p are DLP and TI doesn’t have enough mirrors on the micromirror chip to be able to handle all the pixels. They fake it by running at 120Hz, like the Hitachi TVs mentioned by Tom’s, and shift the image by half a pixel each time, instead of running at 60Hz and shifting by a whole pixel. Oh, and then there’s the issue that almost all 1080p TVs have HDMI and component inputs that are theoretically capable of 1080p, but they can’t accept a 1080p signal. WTH?

Isn’t that false advertising?

Yeah, it’s straight law breaking. All a big screw-up actually. :r

This is actually good news. Let me elaborate. Not everyone needs (or would like to pay for) an expensinve 1080 lines panel and many people can be happy with a 32" 720p pannels (with most common native resolution of 1366x768). However, while current (almost all of them) 720p pannels can display a 1080i program (via deinterlacing and downsampling), they do not support 1080p feeds at all!. Hitachi’s new chipset solves the problem of accepting 1080p input signal for the panles with 720 (or 768) lines.

All comments so far are nonsense… Its not false advertising, they’ve said it processes the image in 1080p. That doesn’t mean it displays at 1080p at all. Its the sites fault for not knowing what they’re talking about… Yet more uneducated, irrrelevent, misguided gibbering people… You don’t need a 60 inch screen to fully display a 1080p signal. Dell have an LCD out that is 32 inches and can display more than 2400 pixels on the horizontal, and WAY over the 1080 needed on the vertical… There are loads of PC LCD screens as small as 21 inch that can fully display a 1080p signal with ease… There could be some really interesting debate on here, its a shame the same people post pointless obvious, or wrong stuff every single news posting.

They should have waited for 1080p input before selling these 1080p TV’s.

I’m just gonna wait for the following: 1) prices on the players come down 2) prices on the blank discs come down 3) all the bullshit on the HDMI connection gets finalized 4) DVD-Jon breaks AACS (I guess we’ll have to call him HD-DVD-Jon from that point on) :slight_smile:

Rather than worrying about a 32" display which can map 1080p pixels 1:1, I think I’d need an eye upgrade to be able to make them discernable at distances of less than a couple of feet. So isn’t small screen/large pixel count a bit pointless?

Elder Young, What has been stated is that it takes a 50" - 60" screen for a 1080p image/signal to be noticably better than a 720p signal. To most (NOT ALL), 720 and 1080 look no different on a smaller display size from certain distance. This depends how close you sit and the quality of the processor chip. A great 1080p processor displayed on a native 768 panel can look better than an average 1080p processor displayed on a native 1080p panel. The quality of the image processor is where brands can vary quite a bit.
[edited by ivid on 09.06.2006 18:23]

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was something about 1080p and big screens, but I forgot the details so I probably shouldn’t have said anything. That’s what I get for saying what things as I remember them, and based on what I’ve read on other websites. I’m still pretty sure about TI not having a true 1080p DLP micromirror chip, though.

it’s true that they use half the number of mirrors. They did it this way for 2 good reasons. 1) cut cost, of course, so people pay less. 2) to reduce the “pixel wall” effect so people see less “border” around each pixel horizontally, which creates more film-like display.

Apples 30in Cinema Display has 2560 x 1600 res. Apple site itself charges 2499$