What am I doing wrong?

vbimport

Hello everyone.

I have been trying to answer my question using the forum posts before asking you all.
I’m brand spankin’ new to burning DVDs (and this forum) and wanted to educate myself. I’ve been wanting to make back-up’s of my favorite movies “just in case” and found the free version of DVD Fab Platinum 5.0.3.0

I have been using it for 2 days now and everything seemed to be working great. That is, until I started reading some posts here…I realized that it’s not normal for the copying and/or burn process to take 3 hours. Wow. I’ve wasted many, many hours needlessly. :frowning:
I have checked the DMA settings and that’s fine. I checked my burn speed as well, and that seems to be okay. So, I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong and why it takes me 3 hours to save/copy the original DVD onto my external, then another 3 hours to burn onto a blank DVD.
I’m making 3 back-up copies of each of my original DVDs, and what I’ve noticed is the 2nd and 3rd DVDs burn in 15 minutes!! So, it seems I am copying or saving the file twice??
I will be purchasing the program if I can figure this problem out, but won’t bother if it’s going to take 6+ hours for each DVD.
I do not want to sacrifice the quality of the results by speeding things up too much, but is there something that I’m doing wrong that’s causing me to spend so much time trying to copy one DVD?
Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

:slight_smile:
~Mechelle

Hi Mishmell and welcome to cdfreaks,

We need some additional info to isolate exactly what’s happening and nail this down for you.
Please post several burn logs.

The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

So you are making 3 copies and the first rip/burn process takes 3 hours and the subsequent 2 rip/burns of the same movie only take 15 minutes each?
Are you actually re-ripping the movie each time or simply burning the ripped files twice more?
Does the very first rip and burn actually take about 90 minutes each or is it the ripping process that takes up the majority of the 3 hours?

This is darn peculiar

[QUOTE=Mishmell;2079297]Hello everyone.

I have been trying to answer my question using the forum posts before asking you all.
I’m brand spankin’ new to burning DVDs (and this forum) and wanted to educate myself. I’ve been wanting to make back-up’s of my favorite movies “just in case” and found the free version of DVD Fab Platinum 5.0.3.0

I have been using it for 2 days now and everything seemed to be working great. That is, until I started reading some posts here…I realized that it’s [B]not [/B]normal for the copying and/or burn process to take 3 hours. Wow. I’ve wasted many, many hours needlessly. :frowning:
I have checked the DMA settings and that’s fine. I checked my burn speed as well, and that seems to be okay. So, I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong and why it takes me 3 hours to save/copy the original DVD onto my external, then [B]another [/B]3 hours to burn onto a blank DVD.
I’m making 3 back-up copies of each of my original DVDs, and what I’ve noticed is the 2nd and 3rd DVDs burn in 15 minutes!! So, it seems I am copying or saving the file twice??
I will be purchasing the program if I can figure this problem out, but won’t bother if it’s going to take 6+ hours for each DVD.
I do not want to sacrifice the quality of the results by speeding things up too much, but is there something that I’m doing wrong that’s causing me to spend so much time trying to copy one DVD?
Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

:slight_smile:
~Mechelle[/QUOTE]
Hello Mechelle
Welcome to the forum
We need to know what operating system you are running and the dvd drives you have, are you sure that DMA is enabled the issue you are have is due to the drives being in PIO mode.
If you open settings in DVDFab there is a reset button for nDMA on the General page

EEK…typing at the same time Tom

Also I suspect the following “EXTERNAL” !!!

Does this mean that you are ripping firstly to an external USB hard disk drive?

If this is the case, that could be part of your problem as transfer rates to an external USB drive are considerably slower than a local hard disk.

This could explain the 3 hours…

My rips to HDD usually take about 20 mins before the burn process.

Hello maineman. Thank you for welcoming me. I’m right next door to you in NH. And thank you for taking the time to help me out.

So you are making 3 copies and the first rip/burn process takes 3 hours and the subsequent 2 rip/burns of the same movie only take 15 minutes each?
Are you actually re-ripping the movie each time or simply burning the ripped files twice more?
Does the very first rip and burn actually take about 90 minutes each or is it the ripping process that takes up the majority of the 3 hours?

I believe the first burn is taking so long because it’s copying first, then ripping/burning. The write time on the first appears to take 15 minutes, and the subsequent rips take 15 as well. I guess I’m trying to avoid re-copying before burning.

Here is the log… it’s quite long, so I copied only a portion from last night. Hope I did this right.

Again, thank you so much for your help!!

~Mechelle

6/17/2008 10:22:40 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
6/17/2008 10:21:58 PM info Finalization Time 00:00:43 - Total completion time 00:12:26
6/17/2008 10:21:58 PM info WRITE SUCCESS
6/17/2008 10:21:14 PM info Write finished in 00:11:42 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 5.09
6/17/2008 10:09:31 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 2
6/17/2008 10:09:31 PM info Write started 2202192 sectors to write
6/17/2008 10:09:31 PM info Init success: DVD-R packet writing
6/17/2008 10:09:31 PM info Writing speed requested x12.0, effective x12.0
6/17/2008 10:09:30 PM info Available write speed: 18x, 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x
6/17/2008 10:09:30 PM info Media ID: ProdiscF02
6/17/2008 10:09:30 PM info Media type: DVD-R
6/17/2008 10:09:30 PM info Ultra DMA mode 2 (ATA33)
6/17/2008 10:09:28 PM info Scanned files #13, folder #2 - total size 4508958720 b. (4.2 Gb.)
6/17/2008 10:09:28 PM info Inserted media type : DVD-R
6/17/2008 10:09:28 PM info Write started
6/17/2008 10:09:21 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
6/17/2008 10:07:06 PM info Finalization Time 00:00:43 - Total completion time 00:12:12
6/17/2008 10:07:06 PM info WRITE SUCCESS
6/17/2008 10:06:22 PM info Write finished in 00:11:28 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 5.20
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 3
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Write started 2202192 sectors to write
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Init success: DVD-R packet writing
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Writing speed requested x12.0, effective x12.0
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Available write speed: 18x, 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Media ID: ProdiscF02
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Media type: DVD-R
6/17/2008 9:54:53 PM info Ultra DMA mode 2 (ATA33)
6/17/2008 9:54:51 PM info Scanned files #13, folder #2 - total size 4508958720 b. (4.2 Gb.)
6/17/2008 9:54:51 PM info Inserted media type : DVD-R
6/17/2008 9:54:51 PM info Write started
6/17/2008 9:54:49 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
6/17/2008 9:51:40 PM info Finalization Time 00:00:44 - Total completion time 00:12:32
6/17/2008 9:51:40 PM info WRITE SUCCESS
6/17/2008 9:50:56 PM info Write finished in 00:11:48 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 5.05
6/17/2008 9:39:09 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 2
6/17/2008 9:39:07 PM info Write started 2202192 sectors to write
6/17/2008 9:39:07 PM info Init success: DVD-R packet writing
6/17/2008 9:39:07 PM info Writing speed requested x12.0, effective x12.0
6/17/2008 9:39:07 PM info Available write speed: 18x, 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x
6/17/2008 9:39:07 PM info Media ID: ProdiscF02
6/17/2008 9:39:07 PM info Media type: DVD-R
6/17/2008 9:39:06 PM info Ultra DMA mode 2 (ATA33)
6/17/2008 9:39:03 PM info Scanned files #13, folder #2 - total size 4508958720 b. (4.2 Gb.)
6/17/2008 9:39:03 PM info Inserted media type : DVD-R
6/17/2008 9:39:01 PM info Write started
6/17/2008 9:38:59 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
6/17/2008 7:02:08 PM info Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R, DL DVD-R
6/17/2008 7:02:08 PM info New Drive selected : 1:0:0 - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D 1.06 [D] (Ide)
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D 1.06 [D] (Ide)
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info DLL Version 2.1.7.338
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\vso_hwe.dll
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info Version 5, 0, 3, 0
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe"
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
6/17/2008 7:01:49 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2079307]Hello Mechelle
Welcome to the forum
We need to know what operating system you are running and the dvd drives you have, are you sure that DMA is enabled the issue you are have is due to the drives being in PIO mode.
If you open settings in DVDFab there is a reset button for nDMA on the General page

EEK…typing at the same time Tom[/QUOTE]

Thank you StormJumper.

I’m not sure. Hope this is what you’re asking for:
Windows XP Professional version 2002.
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D.

I checked the settings last night on my IDE controllers to make sure the DMA had a “check” next to it. Primary and secondary were both set to DMA.

I just re-set in DVDFab, but will need to check later if this helps.
Off to work!

Thanks a bunch!
~Mechelle

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2079335]Also I suspect the following “EXTERNAL” !!!

Does this mean that you are ripping firstly to an external USB hard disk drive?

If this is the case, that could be part of your problem as transfer rates to an external USB drive are considerably slower than a local hard disk.

This could explain the 3 hours…

My rips to HDD usually take about 20 mins before the burn process.[/QUOTE]

Thank you GregiBoy.
I will need try saving the file to the internal HD and see if that makes a difference.
Yes, I have been using an external to save the original copied DVD, then inserting a blank disk into the DVD-RW to burn/rip. I use the same drive to read the original disk and to burn.
So, if I do not use the external to save the copy, do you think it would avoid the extra copy process before ripping?

Thanks again!
~Mechelle

[quote=Mishmell;2079380]Thank you GregiBoy.
I will need try saving the file to the internal HD and see if that makes a difference.
Yes, I have been using an external to save the original copied DVD, then inserting a blank disk into the DVD-RW to burn/rip. I use the same drive to read the original disk and to burn.
So, if I do not use the external to save the copy, do you think it would avoid the extra copy process before ripping?

Thanks again!
~Mechelle[/quote]
It usually takes me about 15 to 25 minutes to rip and burn full disc and I use internal. As for burning multiple copies dvdfab has an option when you finish burning the first dvd. It says burn again and it right next to finished try clicking that as you not save twice

guys, I’m not an expert on DMA, but does it even apply when an external USB drive is being used as the target ?

NB if the USB drive is short of sapce or has not been defragmented for a while, theat will also slow the process down.

I have a 500gb USb drive, I can copy a full single layer DVD backup to it in about 20 mins. i.e. using windows to copy the backup disc made with fab from my dvd drive to my USB hard drive. I’ve not timed ripping an original dvd directly to that dirve but it should take a similar amount of time.

[QUOTE=GJ;2079390]It usually takes me about 15 to 25 minutes to rip and burn full disc and I use internal. As for burning multiple copies dvdfab has an option when you finish burning the first dvd. It says burn again and it right next to finished try clicking that as you not save twice[/QUOTE]

Thank you GJ.

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. I think I had gone through the whole 2-3 hour process for [B]EACH [/B]DVD I wanted to burn before realizing that button was even there. :doh:
It’s the first burn/rip attempt that I’m trying to avoid a second copy process. After the first, rip #2 and #3 are fine. Those two take about 12-15 minutes.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:
~Mechelle

Hi again Michelle,
I appreciate the clarification on the times involved and on the “external” drive. I took this to mean an external ODD, not an external HDD.
There are some changes I would normally suggest as ther resuly of your burn log, such as changing from packet writing to SAO, but , in fact, your burn log looks ok.

The entire problem is the initial rip and I believe gregiboy nailed the problem.
Is this ext hdd a usb or firewire connection?
If usb, is the usb connection 2.0?

There are several causes that I can think of here off the top of my head and again, I agree with gregiboy, select the internal hdd for the rip and your problem should be solved.

The thing is, ripping to an ext hdd [B]should[/B] work just fine. It does for many users. I have 4 internal sata hdds , so I rarely do this, but when I do, the rip proceeds quickly.

The potential problems off the top of my head: it’s not usb 2.0, bad cabling…check the connections and swap the cable.
Try another usb port.
Are you using a usb hub? This could be a problem…connect the hdd directly.

Check in device manager, usb properly installed?
You might want to uninstall and reboot and let XP reinstall.
Is usb enabled in your bios…I would think it would have to be or not work at all, but something to check on.

The enclosure could be faulty, an underpowered hdd could be the problem.
Is this an internal hdd in a ext case…can you connect the hdd internally?
Do you have another usb storage device to test here…another HDD, ODD, or perhaps a thumb drive.

Initially, I thought about the DMA issue, but it’s a usb connection so forget that.

Hold on…back in a few…

Hi, sorry about that…

Again, this is darn peculiar. For your #2 and #3 burns, you must have just clicked “burn again”, otherwise you would have to have re-ripped and the awful 2:40 rip time would have been repeated.

Could you check in your Fab settings:
What is the location of your output directory?
What is the location of your temporary directory?

Your problem will disappear if you rip to your internal hdd, [B]but[/B] you should be able to rip to an external without a problem.

When you said,
"…it takes me 3 hours to save/copy the original DVD onto my external…"
Are you, in fact, choosing the ext hdd as the [B]target[/B]?

As far as burning a previously ripped file, simply navigate to the left hand column in Fab and choose:
[B]Write Data[/B]. This will not process the “source” at all, but will simply burn the folder.

[QUOTE=maineman;2079421]Hi, sorry about that…

Again, this is darn peculiar. For your #2 and #3 burns, you must have just clicked “burn again”, otherwise you would have to have re-ripped and the awful 2:40 rip time would have been repeated.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I did choose “BURN AGAIN” for #2 & #3, and it was finished in 12-13 minutes. Love THAT.

Could you check in your Fab settings:
What is the location of your output directory?
What is the location of your temporary directory?

Being at work, I will need to go by memory…
The [B]source [/B]is the external HDD (which I plug into the back of my tower using a USB cable). So it would be the E: drive.
The [B]target [/B]would be my DVD burner, which is the D: drive.
The temp folder is, I believe, in My Documents in the DVDFab folder. There is a folder named “Temp”

When you said,
"…it takes me 3 hours to save/copy the original DVD onto my external…"
Are you, in fact, choosing the ext hdd as the [B]target[/B]?

Yes. When I insert the DVD I want to copy into my burner, I choose the burner as the source and the external as the target.

As far as burning a previously ripped file, simply navigate to the left hand column in Fab and choose:
[B]Write Data[/B]. This will not process the “source” at all, but will simply burn the folder.

You know, I saw that button, but didn’t know if I should try it or not. When I get home tonight I will have to experiment to see if that’s my problem. So, what you’re saying is, once I have the DVD copied, all I have to do is choose the Write Data button, choose the source folder, and it will burn the copied file to the DVD?

Again, I [B]really [/B]appreciate all the help!
Thank you!!
~Mechelle

seems your only problem is rip speed. your butn times of 12-15 minutes are good, so there’s no need to change that aspect at all. we just need to get to the bottom of why the 1st rip is taking so long.
one test that you could to is put one of your copies in the Dvd drive then use windows to copy the contents to your USB drive.
so if your DVd drive is D & your external drive is , say H, you put the copied DVd into D, go to my computer, explore D, copy the Video_TS folder , go to H & paste it . time that operation.
[ NB copies can be recopied using just windows, as fab has already removed all of the protections ]

this tests tour computer speed without using the DVDfab software at all.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2079456]seems your only problem is rip speed. your butn times of 12-15 minutes are good, so there’s no need to change that aspect at all. we just need to get to the bottom of why the 1st rip is taking so long.
one test that you could to is put one of your copies in the Dvd drive then use windows to copy the contents to your USB drive.
so if your DVd drive is D & your external drive is , say H, you put the copied DVd into D, go to my computer, explore D, copy the Video_TS folder , go to H & paste it . time that operation.
[ NB copies can be recopied using just windows, as fab has already removed all of the protections ]

this tests tour computer speed without using the DVDfab software at all.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I’m going to have to print out your reply so I can follow it step-by-step. I’m not as savvy as others here…or, I should say, I’m not savvy at all. :smiley:
I think, after reading all the replies, that the first rip takes so long because it’s re-copying the file. I think I’m going to try the suggestion maineman gave earlier about burning data and not choosing Full Disk.

Thank you so much!
Everyone here has been [B]very [/B]helpful.
~Mechelle

Well, I guess we’ll wait to hear what you find after work.
Best of luck!

As we’ve been saying, this is an issue of the rate of data transfer between your external hdd and your system. The burn time is a non-issue. This is more and more evident as we get more info.

Personally, I believe this has nothing to do with the software, but I agree with cybmole…
please copy the “already-copied” disc to the ext hdd as he suggested.
I suspect the time will be lengthy.
In this case, go back up to my post #11 and start to troubleshoot and answer the questions re: usb ports, cabling, uninstalling in device manager, checking your bios, etc…
Please don’t feel intimidated if you have questions or need help. All of us ask for and need help.
There is almost always someone around and glad to lend a hand.

If the copy time is reasonable (short), put the original (copy-protected) disc in your burner and select the ext hdd as the [B]target[/B]…or [B]E:[/B] and time this process as well.

Another way to go about this, as gregiboy suggested, is to simply burn to your ODD and use your internal hdd as your locations for both[B] Output directory [/B]and the [B]Temporary directory[/B] so as to bypass the ext hdd totally. These should both be on your C: drive unless you changed the default location.
If this is the case, then just don’t use the ext hdd at all until we figure out what’s up.

I’m a little confused about your last post.
As you begin the process of bking up a movie…
The [B]Source[/B] has to be[B] D:[/B] or some other optical drive.
How many dvd burners/dvd-rom drives do you have total…just one …right?
From here, you can choose a variety of [B]Target[/B] locations, eg.,
your burner D:
your ext hdd E:
your int hdd C:
I think this is all you’ve got, but I’m guessing.

Even if you burn the ripped files and click finish, you can still configure Fab to save the ripped files…simply go to
[B]Common Settings [/B]> [B]General[/B] > untick [B]Delete temporary files when done[/B].
If you do this, you’ll have to go back and manually delete files, otherwise you will chew up your free storage space on your hdd in a hurry…depending upon the size of the hdd.

When you get a chance , please follow up on my questions re: location of the[B] Output directory[/B] and the [B]Temporary directory[/B].

[QUOTE=cybmole;2079397]guys, I’m not an expert on DMA, but does it even apply when an external USB drive is being used as the target ?
[/QUOTE]

Hey cybmole, sorry I missed your question first time around.
I’m far from an expert, but AFAIK, you’re exactly right, there is nothing to “enable” when using a usb port…it’s a function of the converter…:wink:

[QUOTE=maineman;2079565]Well, I guess we’ll wait to hear what you find after work.
Best of luck![/QUOTE]
Thank you so much!! I will try to do this tonight when I get home, but I may need to wait until tomorrow.

As we’ve been saying, this is an issue of the rate of data transfer between your external hdd and your system.

I’ve been wondering if it’s my USB port. Whenever I plug the external in, I get a pop-up message saying “this hardware can run faster with…” Basically meaning my PC is a dinosaur.

go back up to my post #11 and start to troubleshoot and answer the questions re: usb ports, cabling, uninstalling in device manager, checking your bios, etc…

Absolutely. Once I can get back to my home PC I will check all of that. Also, the burner is only a few months old. Don’t know if that matters or not.

put the original (copy-protected) disc in your burner and select the ext hdd as the [B]target[/B]…or [B]E:[/B] and time this process as well.

You just described how I’ve been copying the DVDs. LOL And much better than I ever could, too. :slight_smile:
This is what is taking 3 hours. Then once I take out the protected DVD, I insert a blank one to burn. I change the source in DVDFab to the external drive [E:] and the target to the burner [D:], so the copied file on the external will burn onto the DVD.

I’m a little confused about your last post.
As you begin the process of bking up a movie…
The [B]Source[/B] has to be[B] D:[/B] or some other optical drive.
How many dvd burners/dvd-rom drives do you have total…just one …right?
From here, you can choose a variety of [B]Target[/B] locations, eg.,
your burner D:
your ext hdd E:
your int hdd C:
I think this is all you’ve got, but I’m guessing.

I’m sorry to be so confusing… and I very much appreciate your patience. :slight_smile:

I have two burners, an old floppy and the external. I disabled the first burner as it’s just an old CD-RW. So, my new DVD burner is [B]D:[/B], the external is [B]E:[/B], and then my HDD is [B]C:[/B].

Even if you burn the ripped files and click finish, you can still configure Fab to save the ripped files…simply go to
[B]Common Settings [/B]> [B]General[/B] > untick [B]Delete temporary files when done[/B].
When you get a chance , please follow up on my questions re: location of the[B] Output directory[/B] and the [B]Temporary directory[/B].

Absolutely!
Again, thanks a [B]million[/B]!!!
~Mechelle

i would just like to agree with the others. :iagree: the bottle neck is the USB drive. and maybe some of your previous steps were/are taking only adds to the already long processing time. :frowning:

here is what i understand is going on:

1. copy to USB drive (very slow)

2. copy the folder on USB drive to temporary file on internal drive (very slow)
    [if you do try to burn from the USB drive to the dvd burner the slow transfer rate may produce a bad disc :doh: ]

3. burn a disc from the temporary file 12 min :stuck_out_tongue:

are you wanting to keep a copy of the movie on your external drive?
if not i would just leave this step out completely.

just choose the dvd burner as destination and let dvdfab delete the temporary files when done. :slight_smile:

if you are wanting to keep the files, then you need to figure out why the slow transfer rates. :confused: which it seems the others have given good advice/questions already. :slight_smile:

also i noticed you are selecting 12x for burn speed, however your drive is only burning at 5x and lasting 12 min. i have the same drive and 12x burns only take about 6:30 mins. its not a problem with the drive so dont worry. :disagree: i do suggest getting some different media however. :iagree:

troy

edit// i also noticed you are in DMA transfer mode 2, pioneer 115d drives are dma mode 4. i dont know what dma mode your computer supports as you say it is a dinosaur. you may however uninstall the ide controller (not the channels) from device manager and reboot windows to reset dma mode for all ide drives.

Just one thing that hasn’t been mentioned is what kind of cable are you using 40 or 80 wire cable ? As the Pioneer’s from 112 up require 80 wire cable in order to work properly, maybe thats why you’re not in the ultra dma mode 4 ( Just a thought here )