What am i doing worng?

vbimport

Im new to backing up my dvd collection. But it is taking me forever. My burner is a pioneer DVR-A09XL with the 1.50 firmware. I have the 80 wire cable and using UDMA 4 mode. This drive is on the second ide controller set as slave, master is my tosshiba SD-m1612. so here are some of my concerns…

using DVD Decrypter it takes usally 20 minutes to decrypt a dvd. Then using DVD shrink and start the burn process takes even longer. To encode it takes another 25 minutes. The the burn takes another 30 minutes. Are their some settings that im missing? My system is a P4 2.0ghz 1.0GB Ram 120GB hard dirve. My uncle is using DVDXCOPY and burns a back up in about 15-20 minutes, with a similer system.

What am i doing wrong? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit…Buring media is Memorex DVD+R 16x

enable DMA…

see here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Thankyou for responding, I checked and DMA is enabled. Im still stumped!

Thats pretty crappy time. I’m not farmiliar with your burner but you may want to see if thier is modified firmware that can remove whatever rip lock it has. That might speed up decryptor. The alternative would be to get a high speed rom like the aopen 1648 (I think you need modded firmware for full speed out of it too). Another choice if you want another burner to play with is get a benq 1620 and use modded firmware. It can rip as fast as the fast dvd-roms.
Encoding time is pretty much determined by the speed of your computer, the program being used, and the amount of compression/nature of the movie.
Your burn time is horrible (are you using 2x disks)? If you are not then your firmware obviously doesn’t support the disks you are using. Thier should defanatly be a way to fix the burn time (unless you are using 2x media).
Download cdspeed
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
And do a burst rate test. it should be above around 20mb/s. thats just to rule out hardware settings problems.
What is the brand and media code of the disks you are using? Use this program to read the media code.
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
We need the manufacture id and the media type id.
Back to ripping and encoding time. Someone corect me if I am wrong but doesn’t the current version of shrink deal with css, making the use of dvd decryptor unnesasary? I don’t know the specifics of dvd shrink, but whatever program you use to encode, you might want to consider anydvd. It runs in the background and removes the copy guard. It makes the ripping step unnesasary. You should be able to use shrink or nero or clonedvd or whatever program directly with the original disk. It basically rips while it encodes. I use nero recode and anydvd with an athlon xp2400/2500 and it takes between 5 and 30 minutes to rip and encode (depending on how much compression must be done and the condition of the disk as scratched disks can take longer to read).
Burning should take about 6 minutes for 16x, 8-9 minutes for 8x, 15-16 minutes for 4x, and unless you got stuck with a bunch of old media, I don’t know why you would burn slower than that. If your burner is not in that balpark for the media speed you are using, you probably need to update firmware to firmware that supports the media and or change media.

Thankyou for your reply here is my media type. Using MEMOREX DVD+R 16X

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:PRODISC-R04-004]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [PRODISC]
Media Type ID : [R04]
Product Revision : [004]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Also i downloaded anydvd and clone dvd and total time form start to finish was 24 min. Burning at 16X speed. Much better than close to an hour with the other software. What do you think?

24min from start to finish is right on…even a little quick maybe :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
As far as I’m aware no riplock f/w for Pioneer DVR-AO9XL so the times your getting are pretty much spot on for the respective s/w
If you had the Nec 3520a (both Pioneer & Nec based on same Nec Chip /Pioneer using it’s own board) you would be able to f/w flash with riplock & give times of 15>18 min with AnyDVD / CloneDVD

Hold The damn Phone here! You mean to tell me you guys are ripping DVDs from start to finish in under an hour!!! WTF? I’m new to the DVD ripping scene so I thought my times were normal but apparently they’re not…

It takes me about 4hrs or more to encode!

Specs:
-BENQ 1620 pro 16x burner
-Athlon 3400+ processor
-1gig of ram
-Win2000

I’m pretty sure my computer is not holding me back to what could be the prob?

oh yeah, I’m using autoGK with Dvddecryptor…

While some have had good luck with it, their is beter media out their than prodisk. If you want to burn at 16x, try some verbatium. Best buy runs it on sale pretty often. Some of the verbatium is made by prodisk but I think all the US stuff is cmc and reguardless, they are using mcc dye and quality control etc.
Your time looks just what it should be. Using anydvd really makes things simpler and faster, it’s a great program. Do realize one thing though so you dont think thier is a problem again. Like I said before, depending on how big the movie is (and theirfor how much it has to be compressed), it can go as fast as 12 minutes for encoding and burning with 16x media (no compression as the movies is smaller that what fits on a dvd-5), or it can take as long as about 35 minutes with heavy compression and perhaps a disk with some scratches that is hard to read. The time that you got is a good average time so it sounds like things are working good.

Thats way too long. First thing, download cdspeed (free) and do a burst rate test.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
It should be about 20-24 mb/s. That will rule out hardware setup problems like dma setting which are pretty common.
Beyond that, it is probably old firmware or the software you are using. your system is plenty fast. Download anydvd and nero (or anydvd and clone dvd if you like, it might be easier to use to test it out but it cannot do all the stuff nero can) and try it. All three programs have free trials. If that fixes it, fine, if not, try a firmware update.

My burner is up to date on firmware and the DMA is on.

I’m trying to recode to a 2cd avi/xvid, could that be the reason for the long processing time?

Absolutly. All we are doing is compressing it so that a dual layer dvd like a purchased movie will fit on a single layer blank dvd. Transcoding from one format to another takes hours. Diffrent programs do take diffrent amounts of time though (but they all still take hours). I can usally convert an xvid to dvd (about a dvd’s worth of video in dvd format) in about 2.5-3.5 hours on an athlon xp2500@3150. The only thing that you can do their outside of maybe finding a program that is a little faster, is get a faster computer. transcoding is very dependant on how powerfull your system is and it always takes a long time.

Damn. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help Ripit =)

Yea, transcoding sucks big time. I wish thier was a faster way to do it. Thier are hardware solutions but those cost big bucks!!!

It sure does suck ass. I’ve decided to for Nero Recodes Mpeg4 process cause it does the transcode in like half the time it would take for an avi/xvid conversion. Also, I can play it on any player that can play my avi files so whats the differance?

=D

Thanks again Ripit

Are you talking about nero digital or regular mpeg4?

Nero Digital…why?

I wasn’t aware that avi capable players could play nero digital (I assume that you are talking about standalone players). I know that when nero digital was new, nero was trying very hard to get several manufactures of stand alone players to make thier hardware compatibe with nero digital so I guess it would make sence that standalone, avi capable dvd players would play nero digital. To the best of my knoledge, nero digital is diffrent than mpeg4 and has to have a player that supports nero digital, but I could be way off on that. I have never even encoded anything to nero digital (which is kind of strange since I primarilly use nero) but I just never got around to trying it.
I’m just curious about nero digital and its compatibility.

Thanks guys for all your help!! Now a new problem. The movies i back up i cannot open them with my toshibia drive sd-m1612. Will not even read it. keeps saying to “insert disc into drive”.

Then i try to read/play the disc in my burner pioneer DVR-A09XL kind of the same thing. I can see the files in explorer but i cannot play the disc, and will not autostart.

Going to my home DVD players they play fine. Whats up now??

well just found out that my home dvd players (toshibia) do not play my burned movies except my JVC that says it will not read DVD-R. go figure. Do you think changing over to the “-” format will make my chances better.?