What affects DVD ripipng and xvid-->dvd encoding times?

vbimport

I’m going to build a desktop just for ripping DVDs and re-encoding to fit on DVD5, as well as converting xvids to DVD format, and of course burning the DVDs. I will also be doing pretty constant (24/7) uploading and downloading on this computer. What types of things do I need to look out for? I’ve only built one computer before and I had help

Cooling, what is the best idea?
What type of processor? Type? How much?
RAM? Type? How much?
hard drive? SATA?
Do graphics cards matter?
What DVD drive is the best for ripping? I like Benq for burning.

Is any of the other hardware important when it comes to this?

Thanks for your advice.

Cooling is immaterial.

Of course you know that you need the fastest CPU you can afford. Intel does video crunching better than AMD.

Get multiple hard drives, that way your uploads/downloads can be on one drive and your other stuff on another, speeding things up dramatically.

And what is with all these people who are in love with Benq drives? Aren’t they just a one-off manufacturer that sources Sony or something?

@Gurm - BenQ are a manufacturer of drives, Sony is probably going to source drives from them soon (see news). They are allied with Phillips - which produce the Nexperia chipset used in the drives.

@kaosman

Good to go Intel -> watch out for the heat. More casefans would be good, but don’t expect this puppy to be quiet.

SATA HDD’s can help -> look for NCQ which will help speed things up when multitasking (or should - research shows little improvement) but it sort of prevents the hard disk from seeking all over the place and optimises command order for higher speed.

Ram -> yet again, the more the better. Good quality brand names are a start. Heatspreaders look good, and probably reduce the temps but effects of it I haven’t noticed. 1GB is a good idea, i have 1GB and it’s about good enough. Maybe 1.5/2GB if you can afford it. As for type -> whatever processor and Chipset u get determines the type. New intels, go DDR2 (so far so good).

As for graphics cards, if you don’t play games, not so much of a problem. If you watch DVD’s etc. be sure to get at least a minimal board - like cheapy board. Don’t ever use integrated -> slows down memory accesses too.

Finally, ripping - try the AOpen drive pplz have been ravin on about, or even the BenQ 16xx’s with the MSCE Read Patch -> they are a close second in speed, and aren’t that expensive.

Good Luck!

AMD is faster than Intel when it comes to XviD.
//Danne

Are there any Intel processors to stay away from (or alternately, to give extra attention to?) I really haven’t kept up with them.

Edit: Or AMDs, either.

Yes, those sucking out the power like icecream. :slight_smile:
Prescott and so on…

Heh, they’re all Prescott’s. I’m glad I built my computer when I did :slight_smile:

Anyway, encoding is mostly about the CPU power. Intels generally outperform AMD, but now with the dual core field heating up, an AMD X2 completely smokes a Pentium D.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3800_8.html
…and no X2 doesn’t not outperform Penitum D.
//Danne

In most cases, the AMD CPU’s are faster than Intel’s equivalents. Usually the differences aren’t that big (and there are things that Intel still does faster). Only with the dual core CPU’s, AMD clearly shows that their architecture is better at doing dual core tasks than Intel’s. The A64 series were designed for this, the P4’s were just “enhanched”.

For now I think the AMD CPU’s are the most interesting: better performance (average), lower powerconsumption and lower heatdissipation. Okay… the P4 is somewhat cheaper, but I think the extra money is well worth it. Also for the needs of DVD ripping/XVID encoding.

As a general rule, given identical core speeds Intel chips perform better for video encoding.

Of course the latest X2 AMD chip will outperform a slower Pentium-D. LOL. It’s also more money.

Ok, so we should have two hard disks…one with OS and another to rip to, and obviously a DVD burner/reader somewhere in the mix.

What (assuming both HDD’s are SATA) would be the best/correct way to configure them and the DVD burner. (ie, Hard disk 1 with OS on SATA0 configured as Master, and Hard disk 2 on SATA1 as a slave or master???..what about the DVD burner…on IDE 0 as a master or on IDE 1 as a master or as slave…)

Sorry…but I’m still new to this stuff!

Thanks!

Ok…so I just found out that SATA drives don’t have a master or slave jumper setting as they are the only devices on the SATA port (ie, you can’t have two SATA drives on the same port, this eliminating the need to specify a master or slave.)…but where should I put the DVD burner?

u’d put them on the ATA controller (PATA if it is normal 40 pin) or if its SATA u mite need a PCI card but make sure there will be no conflicts (use different chipset from one onboard) and make sure it’s optical capable too.

Its the Pioneer 109…40 pin. I guess I have two options as far as which port to connect it to (Either IDE0 or IDE1). Just not sure if it even matters given that my HDD’s are SATA and the burner isn’t…

It requires an 80-wire IDE-cable. IDE connectors are 40 pin, that’s true.

I think it might actually be an 80 wire cable…its the ribbon cable that comes with the Gigabyte motherboard. I didn’t count em but it sure looks like there’s a lot of wires:-)

I have connected both SATA drives to the SATA 0 and SATA 1 ports on my MB, and for some reason decided to move my DVD burner to IDE0. So now the DVD burner is on the primary bus and my two HDD’s are on the secondary. Is this ok?

Also I was thinking about how I have read somewhere that you should have your windows pagefile on another disk…is this wise to put on my second disk even though it will be primarily used for ripping onto from DVD?? If so should I create two partitions on my second disk where one i solely for the swapfile???

ANy thoughts?? I’m about to format the disk, so any input would be appreciated ASAP…

Thnks in advance…

Sounds like you have things set up correctly, and I wouldn’t worry about moving a swap file, or page dataset. Most important thing is that you have your HD’s as Sata, and your Burners and IDE. Operating system on 1 HD, and files on seperate HD. Just keep your HD’s defragged, and you should be golden.

Thanks for that.