What about Memorex media with NEC 2500?

Hi all,

I want to ask about Memorex dvd blank… is it good??

Is it have a good quality with NEC 2500 burner ??

Thank You

If you are talking about +R read rdgrimes post hadl way down this thread.

I use Memorex x4 -R and they are really good media.

@Big, I am glad to see you are getting good results with Memorex -R.

But once again we must point out that you canNOT generalize about “Memorex” media because they repackage many types of different manufactured media. And while the 2500 may be able handle all of these different types of manufactured discs, some burners cannot. So it has occurred many times before where a consumer will purchase 2 spindles of Memorex and then he can write perfectly to the first set of discs, but then produces very bad burns on the second spindle or vice versa.

You can download the free Cdfreaks tool DVDIdentifier to determine exactly what type of manufactured disc you have.
http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com

Depends on the Memorex Memorex is just a marketing company and buys various dyes. Don’t get Memorex plus with media code:
MBIPG101R03
It crap

Every Memorex -R i have tried has been a CMC but they have burnt great in the 2500a (original 1.06 firmware) with a very respectable error rates.

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]@Big, I am glad to see you are getting good results with Memorex -R.

But once again we must point out that you canNOT generalize about “Memorex” media because they repackage many types of different manufactured media. And while the 2500 may be able handle all of these different types of manufactured discs, some burners cannot. So it has occurred many times before where a consumer will purchase 2 spindles of Memorex and then he can write perfectly to the first set of discs, but then produces very bad burns on the second spindle or vice versa.

You can download the free Cdfreaks tool DVDIdentifier to determine exactly what type of manufactured disc you have.
http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com [/B]

I’m talking about CMC media.

Ssseth, Big, wesociety, catch22 and I Have Piles… Thank you very much for you help…
But let me ask you some questions…

(( + ))
I want to buy 25 pack of Memorex DVD+R from Amazon.com
( Memorex 4x DVD+R 4.7GB (25 Pack Spindle) )
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000093IRC/qid=1078766124//ref=pd_ka_1/104-3786389-2445568?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I want to know, Is it a good DVD blank foe NEC 2500 ?
And is it Ricoh’s or CMC’s?

(( - ))
And what about Memorex dvd-r?
I want to buy it from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AMRTM/qid=1078766124//ref=pd_ka_2/104-3786389-2445568?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I want to know, Is it a good DVD blank foe NEC 2500 ?
And is it Ricoh’s or CMC’s?

Finally,
Thank you very much for your help

Well regarding the DVD+Rs, you won’t know what type they are until you get them. The good news is that the NEC 2500 burns ALL of the different types of Memorex DVD+Rs very well. So that would be a good option for you.

As far as the DVD-Rs go, I have never purchased Memorex DVD-R. They seem to be overpriced compared to other DVD-R discs.

I got 50 of the Memorex DVD+R’s at Officemax as a substitute for the 50 pack of Khypermedia discs on sale a month or so ago, so I only paid $10 (and no rebate). At the time I had the I/O Magic rebadged BTC 1008 drive, and burned a few discs no problem. I ended up returning that drive because looking on the forums nobody had been successful burning at 8x, and ended up getting the NEC 2500. The other day I burned 3 copies of some home movies at 4x and all 3 had skips and jerkiness which was pretty disappointing. Using the same image, I decided to try burning at 2.4x and this time no problems so I burned 2 more copies, and all 3 play perfectly. Besides movies, I’m also using the drive to back up data and digital pictures, and so I don’t think I’ll be taking a chance burning these discs at anything greter than 2.4x. I used DVD Info Pro to test the integrity of the burns, and all 6 showed no errors, so I guess that tool doesn’t detect things like skips and jerks very well.

The Memorex DVD-R can be CMC, Prodisc, Ritek or possibly others, depending on where you get it. The 2500A loves CMC media of all types. Although I haven’t fed mine any Prodisc, I suspect it will pass for adequate on most drives. Ritek is another thing, and the 2500A’s seem to be a bit unpredictable with it, although my own drive has loved what I’ve given it so far.

Mine have a media code of CMC MAG.F01, and I burned them using the Dangerous Bros. region free firmware with riplock removed. I’m not complaining because they were cheap, but I’m still a bit disappointed that they don’t burn reliably at 4x, especially since the BTC drive could <sigh>.
The Philips DVD+RWs with media code RICOHJPNW11 (that I use for test burning my compilation), burned using the exact same image also work flawlessly at 4x.
Maybe I got a bum drive?

Hi All,
wesociety and RawHP thank you very much for your help.
And let me ask you (again) some questions

1 - Is Memorex 4xDVD+R (RICOHJPNR01) work good with NEC 2500??
I read in http://www.dvdrhelp.com it is very good…
Not only that, It was take the best of all media type!!
(( Memorex 4xDVD+R (RICOHJPNR01) comments, 6 good, 0 mixed, 0 poor. ))
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=208&Search=Search&list=#comments
Is it good??

2 - Is the Memorex DVD+R which sell in Amazon.com a RICOHJPNR01??

Finally,
Thank you very much for your help

1. Hell yeah the RICOH will burn amazingly with your 2500.
    Take a look at my error rate scan here:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89876

The NEC burn is beautiful!

1. There is no way to predict what type (manufacturer) of Memorex disc you are going to receive when you order online.

Hi all,
Thank you wesociety very much

WoOoW…!!!:eek:
I think the Memorex 4xDVD+R (RICOHJPNR01) is a good media
And i will be take it soon with NEC 2500A burner.

And some questions again :stuck_out_tongue:
1 - My friend was take Memorex 4x DVD+R 100pack from Amazon.com
If that media is RICOHJPNR01… Is that mean the 25 pack from Amazon.com and the same media will be a RICOHJPNR01??

2 - How i can now the type of the media ( RICOHJPNR01 Or CMC ) ??
Does i need a programme? What is it?

Thank You

3 - Can i burn it at 8x??

There is no way to predict what type (manufacturer) of Memorex disc you are going to receive when you order online.

This media currently burns at 6x on the NEC2500a.
This may change when a new firmware update is released.

See the 4th post in THIS THREAD for a link to DVDidentifier.

I have made very bad experiences with memorex labeled CMC.

I have burnt 4x a huge bestcrypt container file (4481 MB) at UDF 1.50/2.01 format with Nero 6.0.0.32. Nero ran through compare perfectly !!!

When i tried to copy back that huge file to HD, the drive failed reading the lasst 100-300 MB. I tried reading with a different drive (toshiba 1612) with the same result. And i have used beyond compare to do a binary Compare. Source and target had differences.

I tried on 4 recordables from different spindles: all CMC, all same result.

So, DONT BUY MEMOREX. You can never be sure what u get.

I used to buy them too, no probs with my liteon 411S at 811S HS0K Firmware. (seen you have such a drive too)

MEMOREX + NEC2500a = No good results.

I got some Verbatim 4x DVD-R JC, Nero offers 8x - great results. Same for Fuji/Maxell DVD+R 4x. Well those are more expensive for sure.

The 2500a doesnt seem to like cheap media very much.

Sold my Liteon 411S@811S last week, and am going to get a Liteon 812S soon.

greetings,

IronAge

[B]This media currently burns at 6x on the NEC2500a.
This may change when a new firmware update is released.

See the 4th post in THIS THREAD for a link to DVDidentifier. [/B]

Originally posted by IronAge
[B]So, DONT BUY MEMOREX. You can never be sure what u get.

I used to buy them too, no probs with my liteon 411S at 811S HS0K Firmware. (seen you have such a drive too)

MEMOREX + NEC2500a = No good results.
[/B]

You are contradicting yourself here.
If you can never be sure what you get, how can you say this always = No good results?

Most Memorex DVD+R is either RICOH or CMC which both burn excellent with the 2500a according to rdgrimes.

BS.

I clearly mentioned that all of the recordables i have tested from 4 (!) different spindles were CMC and that they did not burn well at 4x with a NEC2500a and Nero 6.0.0.32.

What i was trying to tell:

If you buy them for instance from a mail order, you dont know what you get.

I got CMC 4 times (from 2 different sources). So it might be the main manufacturer which MEMOREX sells under their brand right now.

If you can read between the lines, you will come to the conclusion:

Keep hands off MEMOREX if you own a NEC 2500a or get media which might be useless for you.

Very hard to accomplish ? :wink:

[B]You are contradicting yourself here.
If you can never be sure what you get, how can you say this always = No good results?

Most Memorex DVD+R is either RICOH or CMC which both burn excellent with the 2500a according to rdgrimes. [/B]