What about DVDRW 885 and -R support?

vbimport

Hi people!

What about the philips dual dayer 885 and the promised -r/-rw support via firmware upgrade? have i sleeped?

greets & thanks

dm-fan

According to philips they have never promised such an update officially (some reviewers were told that it will come - but this seems to be BS) - so there will not be such an update if I’m right.

Don’t know where you got this info, but there is a yellow sticker on my box that there will be a firmware-upgrade that will allow the drive to write -R’s. Bought in Holland, and this info was confirmed by a dutch Philips-helpdesk. The upgrade will not be free however.
I think all Philips dvd-writers (later than the 824) will be able to be upgraded to -R.

I got the information from Philips NL that there would not be such an update.

Anyway I did mail them again about the sticker on the package - let’s hear what they say now…

Hmmm, curious here as well. Phoned them in july…
There’s a pic here of the sticker: http://www.miloman.demon.nl/specials/Philips-dvdrw885-R.jpg
Sorry about the bad quality, but the dig. camera is allready packed for the ‘big trip’… (I removed the 8.5GB to see what was under it: it said 8.5Gb originally :stuck_out_tongue: ) Does it suggest that the upgrade is going to be free?

Hi this the reply i got from philips

Dear XXXXXX,

Recently you have asked us regarding the firmware for the drive.

At present we are not having any latest firmware for this drive. The latest
update will be releasing shortly and it will be sent to your email address.

We apologize for any inconvenience

We hope we answered your question satisfactorily. Should you have further
questions on this subject please refer to: XS3009040083.

With kindest regards,

Jason Spencer
Philips Customer Care Centres

Hi,
What version firmware does everybody else have?
I have Version P1.7

When i bought it P1.6, now 1.7

Regarding the reply from Philips: did you ask about the -R or any firmware-upgrade?

Hi,
This is the original email i sent to philips, below

The information below is intended for automated processing only

[Date:September 30, 2004, 6:56 am (GMT-05:00)]
[Name:Ibrahim]
[Organization:-]
[Address:-]
[Postal Code:-]
[City:-]
[Country:GB]
[E-mail:imran_ibrahim33@hotmail.com]
[Telephone:-]
[Age:-]
[Gender:-]

[Comment/Question:
i would like to know when a new firmware will be avilable, when i bought the
drive i was under the immpression the firmware would be avialable in september,
it is now 30th of september and i still can not find any information about this
firmware upgrade for dvd-r and dvd-rw as stated on the box. this was the main
reason i bought the drive, i thought this drive was muti format]

I mailed Philips too asking for that -R support, I also refered to the sticker on the box saying it will “support -R/-RW in september”. Sent it one week ago, got auto-reply that they will reply within 2 business days… maybe they only work every second day and thats why they didnt respond yet :slight_smile:

I have got the same sticker on my box, and it pisses me off we can’t get a proper respond from Philips!

I bought this product, expecting what is said on the box is right, and it makes me mad…

If any of you guys gets a proper respond, with a usefull link, please place it here.

Thanks a lot, in advance.

Tom.

Well they still didn’t reply yet, i’m really getting pissed too - not only because they don’t release the fw with -R support - they just don’t reply! I mailed them again including local support - but nothing!
Well I think i’m going to write a nice letter with pictures of the sticker cause this is a product feature they offered when i bought it but they don’t give me what i have paid for… there was nothing on it saying “without engagement” orso. It’s the same if they printed DL Support on it and it couldn’t write DL discs…

"
Well they still didn’t reply yet, i’m really getting pissed too - not only because they don’t release the fw with -R support - they just don’t reply! I mailed them again including local support - but nothing!
Well I think i’m going to write a nice letter with pictures of the sticker cause this is a product feature they offered when i bought it but they don’t give me what i have paid for… there was nothing on it saying “without engagement” orso. It’s the same if they printed DL Support on it and it couldn’t write DL discs…"

exactly… :a

On this site, Richard-1 is claiming he’s got the file. It’s in Dutch though…

I requested him to post a link to the file, wait and see…

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/

Kan niks vinden :a

wtf does that mean :confused:

that means, that he couldn’t find anything :frowning:

Well the only thing there is the FW 1.7 … but the FW file was there in beginning of september afaik, but when i open the pdf included it says 30th september… and the file date on the server is 5th of october… maybe this is a new FW 1.7 with -R support? I wonder if you can update from the old 1.7 to this… maybe someone can try it - cause i’m not at home to do it.

Oh finally Philips answered my mails concerning this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

The latest update of the drive (DVDRW885K) will be releasing shortly and it will be sent to your email address.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope we answered your question satisfactorily. Should you have further questions on this subject please refer to: XXXXXXXXXXXX

With kindest regards,

Philips Customer Care Centres

well, that’s the same they told imi2003 more than a week ago… so i guess ‘shortly’ is as short as “in september” is in september…

But maybe it’s worth to try the “new” 1.7 with a -R…

…but they seem to be still alive!!