What 2 burners should I get?

vbimport

My computer right now has some old drives - a TDK 12x10x32x CD burner and an ASUS E616A DVD-ROM drive. I’ve been wanting to add a DVD burner to my system. I just got an iPhone too, so I’m also thinking about ripping all of my CDs so that I can listen to music on my iPhone.

So if I wanted to do accurate lossless CD rips (and maybe the occasional DVD rip), is the ASUS E616A good enough for that, or should I replace it with something else? And what would a good DVD burner be? If I need to get 2 DVD burners that complement each other, then I am willing to do that.

And these need to be IDE burners. Thanks for any suggestions.

Been trying to research this. I already placed an order for an Optiarc 7200A, which I read is a great DVD and CD burner. Apparently it is also a good CD scanner but not a good DVD scanner - is that correct? Also how is it with regards to CD reading/ripping?

So now I want to find a drive to complement it. I’ve read that Lite-Ons are great at ripping/scanning/reading DVDs. I’ve also read that Lite-Ons suck at scanning CDs - does that mean they also suck at ripping/reading CDs?

The iHAS120/220 support secure ripping with EAC, but since you’re looking for an IDE burner this point is moot. I don’t know about the ATA version of the iHAS (which are the iHAP drives) but if they’re as similar as I think they are then those would be perfect for ripping CDs.

[QUOTE=sl_dvd;2157931]My computer right now has some old drives - a TDK 12x10x32x CD burner and an ASUS E616A DVD-ROM drive. I’ve been wanting to add a DVD burner to my system. I just got an iPhone too, so I’m also thinking about ripping all of my CDs so that I can listen to music on my iPhone.

So if I wanted to do accurate lossless CD rips (and maybe the occasional DVD rip), is the ASUS E616A good enough for that, or should I replace it with something else? And what would a good DVD burner be? If I need to get 2 DVD burners that complement each other, then I am willing to do that.

And these need to be IDE burners. Thanks for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Stick with the same manufacturers, run them on the same bus, and make sure that youve got your firmware up to date. Lite On makes rock solid units.

[QUOTE=sl_dvd;2160958]
does that mean they also suck at ripping/reading CDs?[/QUOTE]

No, in fact LiteOn is one of the best (IMHO the best) drives for ripping CDs that you can find now. I have two LiteOns and both do a great job for ripping CDs with EAC.

Plextor was another great drive but they are out of production. :sad:

A very good combination for your needs IMO would be the Optiarc 7200 and one of the Lite-On’s. You will find very good ripping and burning of CDR media as well as for scanning.

With the Lite-on you will have a nice drive for scanning of DVD media and a solid burner along side the Optiarc for all types of DVD±R discs.

If you plan on scanning for Quality and Jitter on the DVD media then I suggest you pickup one of the 20A3 Lite-on’s and use CDSpeed 47716.

Thanks for the replies. I can’t find the 20A3H drive anywhere, so would the iHAP322 or iHAP422 have the same scanning abilities that the 20A3H has?