What 2.0 speakers to buy?

Hi,
I’m going to buy new 2.0 speakers for my pc and I wanted some advice. I use the PC quite a lot (games + tv series + films + music station) and I can spend up to 90-120$ (though some less would be nice too).

In another forum I found quite some unilateral responses towards M-audio brand. Specifically, towards AV30 & AV40. But although reviews read over the internet look promising and good, I think they are way too big.

Any recommendations on 2.0 speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 200-Watt 2.1 Speaker System

Shop hard and you should be able to find them in your price range. These will definitely give that base if your watch movies or listening to music.

:cool::cool:

Without knowing specifics (sound card vs. on-board, analogue vs. digital, etc.) here are some things to consider:

I’m partial to Klipsch and their 2.1 Promedia have excellent reviews. The Logitech are competitively priced and could also meet your needs. The best advice you might get is to go to a retailer that has the items in stock, bring a CD of your favorite music and listen to the speakers. You might also consider a retailer that has a 30 day return policy.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=us,en

I would have suggested Klipsch also but you will be hard pressed to fine them in the price range that has been stated.

[B]
[/B]

My Soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy.

A good sound card, You should have no issues.

Not sure where you are but here > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121130&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090208&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL090208--Speakers--L2B-_-36121130 use promo code > EMCAKACBC if your a member for $61.99.

I use Klipsch 5.1 pro media so i have no idea how these are.

The following information regarding Klipsch 5.1 is from the Forum Administrator at Klipsch (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86048/889319.aspx):

In the past few years, the 5.1 computer speaker market has become saturated with lower price point models that we simply cannot compete with any longer. In order to hit those price points, we’d have to make a lot of sacrifices. Consumers want cheaper, so dealers want cheaper, and we won’t make cheaper–that’s not what we are about.

It also looks like the Promedia 2.1 is discontinued as well. Although it’s available at several sites, they are asking top dollar.

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2120770]The following information regarding Klipsch 5.1 is from the Forum Administrator at Klipsch (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86048/889319.aspx):

It also looks like the Promedia 2.1 is discontinued as well. Although it’s available at several sites, they are asking top dollar.[/QUOTE]yeah that is really to bad cause Klipsch are the best from what i have heard personally. To each their own though.

I listen to butt loads of music on my pc all day,every day.

ljl16:

I don’t know if you’re still in the market or live in an area served by Circuit City but they have a Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System for $50 after rebate.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=161730&om_keycode=67

First, thank you everyone for the quick responses.

I have read several reviews for several audio systems and sincerely, I don’t have a clue what to buy.

At first, I thought: Oh well, let’s buy the M-Audio AV40 (btw, I live in Europe).
But then I started reading in the official forums that there was a problem when you plugged the headphones in: although a tiny bit, sound still comes out the tweeter.
And then, there’s the people who think that this pair is just for music composers (playing some electric guitar and stuff, for example), that there’s almost no difference with a normal pair of satellites in playing mp3 and alike.

Second consideration: Logitech Z-2300. The most negative thoughts bring in the fact that there’s no tweeter in the satellites and that they are no good in mid-range frequencies.

Sticking with 2.0 and 2.1 systems (preferably 2.0), what are your recommendations? Since I hear music everyday and play games and watch movies every now and then, I would not care so much that the price bar goes a bit up. Maybe up to 200$/150€. If quality is what it takes, I’ve no problem with that.

PS: Maybe for a little orientation, I listen to almost all kind of music. From classic, to rock, heavy, hip hop (sometimes), blues, indie, new age…

Are there any stores there locally that you can buy,take home and try,and then take them back for refund if needed? Then purchase online for cheaper price…not telling them your intentions of course. It’s a good way to choose.

I don’t live in a very large city and there is only one store that I know of where they’ll refund you if you’re not satisfied with the product, although I dont think they have a good selection of these products.
And with refund & online buying… the fact that each time around you have to pay for the taxes sending it back, that normally is about 10-20€… makes it now a viable option.

I think the only thing that’s left is to go and try at different stores where I can try speakers in a separate room playing my music (of course, intentionally selected to see all the ranges im interested in).