WH14NS40 cross flashed to WH16NS48 can no longer burn discs?

I had an old WH14NS40 (no SVC code printed on label, manufactured April 2013) laying around. I cross flashed this drive to WH16SN48 1.D3 so that I could use it as a BD-R/BD-RE quality scanner. It reads discs just fine after the flash (at least, BD-R and BD-RE, which are all I’ve tried), but I don’t think it can write anymore. I tried to format a couple of BD-RE discs in it, and they failed with fixation errors. I also tried writing a BD-R via ImgBurn, and it seemed to stop when filling up the drive buffer and never advanced to actually burning the data. I’m wondering if maybe the write buffer is larger on the WH16 so it’s just erroring out?

I did bother to do a firmware read using the old non-GUI (real DOS version) of dosflash and a FreeDOS boot disk before I cross flashed, so I can probably (hopefully?) just restore the drive back how it was if I want to use it as a writer. (I actually dumped the firmware twice and verified the files matched, even.) But, I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts on this issue. Is it common to lose writing ability when doing such a cross flash?

Other details: I did the cross flash using the modified official LG flashing tool. The drive was previously running WH14NS40 firmware 1.03 (IIRC), and hadn’t ever been cross flashed before.

I’m going to leave this post up as a monument to my own idiocy. I found out what the issue was, and it’s not related to the cross flash.

Since cross flashing, I’ve been using the drive with a crummy SATA to USB3 adapter. Apparently, that adapter cannot handle burning. I popped the drive into an old machine, and, when connected via a real SATA connection, the drive appears to burn properly.

Now, off to find a better SATA to USB adapter (or an enclosure).

If anyone else with a similar issue stumbles on this post, be sure to try a different adapter / port before assuming it’s an issue with the drive!

Curious to know what bridge chipset is in that adaptor (common ones are JMicron, Asmedia, Sunplus, etc). A few months back I made a project to place all remaining bare optical drives on my shelf into USB enclosures.

I ran into quite a few compatability issues which not surprisingly were often specific to the drive or to the USB port chipset in the PC I was using. Plextor and Benq were the most picky, of course, so I’m surprised to hear of a failure with an LG model.

Also some adaptor boards benefitted from the black art of finding and flashing updated firmware. One size does not fit all; but then, we knew that already :roll_eyes:

I actually hadn’t previously bothered to look at what chipset it was. I have now that I know it’s problematic, though. Vendor ID is 0x1f75 (Innostor) and product ID is 0x0611. It’s one of those all-in-one SATA/PATA/mini PATA adapters, and looks identical to the one shown in this random blog post I found: http://bruxy.regnet.cz/web/linux/EN/usb3-sata-ide-cable/

I bought the all-in-one because I’m also hooking up old “real” Plextor drives for doing scrambled CD reads and some other tasks. I haven’t actually tried this adapter on the Plextors yet, and I’ve been warned that some of these adapters reportedly will destroy PATA drives, so maybe I’ll hold off on using it for that task… But, on the other hand, I’ve already used the Plextors for quite some time with other cheap USB 2 adapters. I’m thinking those adapters I’ve used previously are JMicron based, though, instead of this USB 3 one which is Innostor based.

Innostar IS611. This is actually a fairly common combo bridge chipset, and there is talk of a firmware update (good luck finding it).

Frankly I think you’d have better luck with a dedicated USB-SATA chipset from a larger company.

I’ve ordered a Unitek Y1099. At a quick glance, I can’t find any site reporting what chipset it is, but I do know it’s been reported to have good support for LG BD-RE drives, including even firmware flashing. I’ll check the chipset out of curiosity once it arrives.

Great - this is almost certainly JMicron or Asmedia; good luck!

You were right – it’s 0x174c (Asmedia). I’m putting it through its paces now. So far, so good.