Wh08ls20 burns all REs @ 1x

vbimport

I purchased a few single layer (25gb) REs and a few 50gb REs and even though they show up as 2x burnable in software the real burn speed maxes out at 1x. Anyone else have this problem? If this is the case with all REs this drive is total garbage.

AUTOMATIC verify!

Never heard of that?

[QUOTE=chef;2495809]AUTOMATIC verify!

Never heard of that?[/QUOTE]Actually, no I haven’t.

So you’re saying the “effective speed” is going to be 1x on a BD-RE regardless of what I do and there’s nothing I can do to speed things up?

[QUOTE=Wagman;2495972]Actually, no I haven’t.

So you’re saying the “effective speed” is going to be 1x on a BD-RE regardless of what I do and there’s nothing I can do to speed things up?[/QUOTE]

BD-RE are burned with defect management activated by default with many software. It verify every writing with a reading causing the “slowdown” from 2.3x ( Yes LG burn BD-RE at 2.3x ) to 1x .
Solution:

• 1st full format the BD-RE media to verify the state. This will to be sure of the integrity of the disk.
  • 2nd burn at 2.3x using imgburn or Nero with defect management disabled.

In Imgburn the option is “BD-R Verify Not Required”.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2495976]BD-RE are burned with defect management activated by default with many software. It verify every writing with a reading causing the “slowdown” from 2.3x ( Yes LG burn BD-RE at 2.3x ) to 1x .
Solution:

• 1st full format the BD-RE media to verify the state. This will to be sure of the integrity of the disk.
  • 2nd burn at 2.3x using imgburn or Nero with defect management disabled.

In Imgburn the option is “BD-R Verify Not Required”.[/QUOTE]Thanks, that was extremely helpful.

Wouldn’t it take well over an hour to do a “full erase” to 50GB BD-REs? Or do you mean just erase it (quick or full, doesn’t matter)?

[QUOTE=Wagman;2495985]Thanks, that was extremely helpful.

Wouldn’t it take well over an hour to do a “full erase” to 50GB BD-REs? Or do you mean just erase it (quick or full, doesn’t matter)?[/QUOTE]

Full erase or full format is recomended to be sure. A BD-RE 50GB will demand around 90 minutes.

Ah, OK. I see that I will probably get some more bytes with a “full” format anyways. Lastly, is there a difference between an “erase” and “format”? So far all the burn software I use (IMGBurn, CDBurnerXP and Nero Essentials) only have an “erase” option.

I ran into the same thing with my GGW 20l burner first time I tried the included RE disk. It took me a bit to find the button to turn the defect thing off and all was good after that.

I seem to have things sorted out and am zipping along at 2.0 now. The only strange thing I’m experiencing is that I can’t seem to explore a burned UDF 2.5/2.6 disc from Win7 (although a mastered Blu-Ray video disc will play fine). Odd because I thought Win7 has native UDF support.