Western Digital works on 20,000 RPM desktop HDD

vbimport

I just posted the article Western Digital works on 20,000 RPM desktop HDD.

While SSDs currently have limited capacity and are very pricey, at the rate flash memory is coming down in price and a growing number of manufacturers competing with each other to bring out better…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14702-Western-Digital-works-on-20000-RPM-desktop-HDD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14702-Western-Digital-works-on-20000-RPM-desktop-HDD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

20K RPM drives? Whoa !! Wouldn’t they get as hot as Marisa Miller in lingerie? They’d definitely be louder than Andy Dick on a cocaine binge. But, the best of all, the access speeds on these drives would be shorter than any of Lindsay Lohan’s relationships. Whew !! I’m spent. :slight_smile:

Posted by DukeNukem on Friday 06 June 2008 19:37 "Whew !! I’m spent. " Maybe, but it was a yoeman’s effort. Well done. :slight_smile:

This type drive isn’t going to touch SSD for access and seek times, but it will blow them away on sustained transfer rates. It will blow all other hard drives away in all respects, just as the VelociRaptor does now.

As far as energy consumption & capacity is concerned… start at 320gb and ramp up to 1tb. Also, the drive should consume no more than 50% more than the average of so-called GREEN drives. This will be a technological win if they can do that. These should also be hybrid hard drives which hold the o/s in flash, if you really wanna do it up right. Reply to earlier comment; double/triple spindle speed does not exactly equate to double/triple transfer rates… though it is very much welcomed improvement.

As far as energy consumption & capacity is concerned… start at 320gb and ramp up to 1tb. Also, the drive should consume no more than 50% more than the average of so-called GREEN drives. This will be a technological win if they can do that. These should also be hybrid hard drives which hold the o/s in flash, if you really wanna do it up right. Reply to earlier comment; double/triple spindle speed does not exactly equate to double/triple transfer rates… though it is very much welcomed improvement.

Just tell me when I can buy one. I cant wait. :d

Funny, but people saying RPM ain’t the only speed factor - well seems it is a very dominate one. :S

2x RPM = 1/2 x access time. With the bit densities they are getting these days with perpendicular recording, it’ll be very quick sustained transfer rates, even if’s only 2.5". Obviously, it generates significant heat … which is why it’s a 2.5" drive inside a 3.5" heat sink.

I’m more concerned as they go with 2.5" platters at the higher bit density that the drives are equally or more reliable that the previous generation. There’s been this pendulum with warranties going from 1 year to 5 years based upon the manufacturing process & retail price. When these drive finally are released we’ll know if they are all that much better than previous 3.5" generation. This will be great. Desktop drives go from 3.5" to 2.5" Laptop drives go from 2.5"to 1.5 - 1.8"