Western Digital to pay $4.3B for Hitachi drive unit

vbimport

Wasn’t sure where to post this in here or in the Latest News Headlines
section but since it had to do with hard drives I choose to post it here. :confused:

As the title says it all Western Digital to pay $4.3B for Hitachi drive unit

I’m just so glad it wasn’t Seagate who bought Hitachi out like they did
Maxtor and then killed off a half way decent brand like Maxtor used to
be in the past and replaced it with their brand of drives.

I can live with Hitachi and with WD buying them out but not any company
that Seagate buys out and places their name on it and puts their products
in place of the other products.

I guess as you can tell I’m no big fan of Seagate’s products now days but
that’s not to say they are all bad or anything it’s just that they are not for
me anymore not after all of the bad luck I’ve had with all of the Seagate
brand of hard drives.

Western Digital to pay $4.3B for Hitachi drive unit

I bought my Hitachi drive for $54.99, no tax, Free shipping…:wink:

[QUOTE=getit29;2578756]
I’m just so glad it wasn’t Seagate who bought Hitachi out like they did
Maxtor and then killed off a half way decent brand like Maxtor used to
be in the past and replaced it with their brand of drives.

I can live with Hitachi and with WD buying them out but not any company
that Seagate buys out and places their name on it and puts their products
in place of the other products.[/QUOTE]

I think Seagate debacle started with their 1.5TB drives and just snowballed from there I have their 2.5 USB HDD and those are working fine for me but their desktop 1.0 and 1.5 unit just destroyed my confidence that their quality control went out the window fast.

[QUOTE=getit29;2578756]
I guess as you can tell I’m no big fan of Seagate’s products now days but
that’s not to say they are all bad or anything it’s just that they are not for
me anymore not after all of the bad luck I’ve had with all of the Seagate
brand of hard drives.[/QUOTE]

Can’t blame you…I been using WD since they were IDE drives and they lasted 7 years from me constantly using them but would’ve lasted longer just that the new motherboard were Sata so had to make the hardware change. Now at least I know which other HDD manufacture drive I should purchase now besides WDD drives. And Hitachi drive are less expensive but if the quality is there well I be sure the money is well worth it.

I have several 1TB Hitachi Drives and I can say no problems yet, the last Seagate I bought died after 60 days.

After a little more thought on the subject I have come to the conclusion that this buy out
of Hitachi might not be the best thing for us consumers. :disagree: The buy out deal will only leave
more or less three major consumer level hdd manufactures to choose from Seagate, Samsung
or WD so that means a lot less competition and probably higher prices for us consumers in the
long run.

The competition has already dwindled from 5 major players listed in no particular order

1. Maxtor
  2. Western Digital
  3. Seagate
  4. Hitachi
  5. Samsung

down to four players so far

1. Western Digital
  2. Hitachi
  3. Seagate
  4. Samsung

and then there were only three

1. Western Digital
  2. Seagate
  3. Samsung

and then who is going to be bought out next :confused: :confused:
and then there were only two players left :eek:

1. ???
  2. ???

and so much for fast price drops and good deals. :doh: :sad:

And Quality :frowning: Down the drain :(:frowning:

So far I have been using 3.5" WD hard disks since 2003 and have never had any fail or develop bad sectors. I have three in current use - 2 x WD Caviar Blue 640GB’s and 1 x 2TB RE4-GP RAID edition.

I bought a 1TB Hitachi 3.5" Hitachi shortly after its launch and while it never gave me any data issues in my PC, it was the hottest running hard disk I’ve owned. When I later upgraded to a 2TB HDD, I could not use this 1TB in an external enclosure due to how hot it would get. Sure enough when I tried selling it off second hand, the person returned it to me a week later after burning his hand when trying to use it in his external HDD enclosure! I sold it off again and haven’t heard from the 2nd buyer since.

As far as reliability goes on 2.5" HDDs, I have seen more WD Scorpio failures than with HD Travelstar and more failures from both than Seagate, Samsung or Toshiba over the past two years. Both WD and Hitachi seem to fail in a similar way, where the HDD beings to perform slower than usual in the days leading up to the failure and then totally fails where very little, if anything can be recovered. Samsung and Seagate on the other hand tend to fail with an accumulation of bad sectors, so when these drives fail, it is usually possible to recover nearly all the data. I had the same experience with Maxtor before Seagate gobbled them up.

On the other hand, it will be sad to see Western Digital to go, as fewer manufacturers means less competition, especially since it will take quite a long time before SSDs catch up with HDDs on pricing per Gigabyte to use them for bulk storage.