Western Digital plans to acquire Sandisk

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Western Digital plans to acquire Sandisk[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/07/800px-WesternDigitalLogo.svg_-95x75.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/western-digital-plans-to-acquire-sandisk-77607/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

There exists at least one article stating that Sandisk was all but ready to be consumed by another entity. I can’t say I understand WHY, considering their strong brand presence, but more power to them.

As for WD, this is a nice move for them. It’s easy to understand their position; they’ve quite a bit of good to gain. I hope they manage to make the most of the acquisition, and don’t just spit out mediocre SSDs.

Maybe we can start a pool on how many companies WD will swallow up in their pursuit of a leader position in the SSD market. Sandisk is not their first.

[QUOTE=Albert;2762284]
As for WD, this is a nice move for them. It’s easy to understand their position; they’ve quite a bit of good to gain. I hope they manage to make the most of the acquisition, and don’t just spit out mediocre SSDs.[/QUOTE]

For them its an excellent move, lets hope that it will also be for us, as consumers.
Looking forward to see what this brings to the table, so far Toshiba has done an excellent job handling the OCZ name, so lets hope that WD will do the same.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2762293]Maybe we can start a pool on how many companies WD will swallow up in their pursuit of a leader position in the SSD market. Sandisk is not their first.[/QUOTE]

Very true, but this is how everything works, and I am sure that they will do what they feel is needed for them to stay in a leading position.

Someone (me) can only hope that we will have more competition and maybe more aggressive pricing? I know wishful thinking.

I do wonder what will happen to the flash drives and the SD cards and all that. I’m not sure if WD wants to do business in that segment, though it couldn’t hurt.

[QUOTE=Albert;2762297]I do wonder what will happen to the flash drives and the SD cards and all that. I’m not sure if WD wants to do business in that segment, though it couldn’t hurt.[/QUOTE] What else would they acquire SanDisk for if not for the flash drives, memory cards, and SSDs? :confused:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2762299]What else would they acquire SanDisk for if not for the flash drives, memory cards, and SSDs? :confused:[/QUOTE]
I’m pretty sure he meant CF & SD cards and USB flash drives, not SSDs.

Yes. From my perspective:

WD is known for hard drives, and SSDs are a natural extension, thus I can understand WD making use of that aspect of Sandisk’s portfolio.

WD is not known for smaller mobile products, such as USB flash drives, SD cards, and other mobile cards. They have the mobile hard drives, yes, but compared to other manufacturers, they’ve not seemed interested at all in anything smaller than a 2.5" drive.

I am curious if they intend to do WD branded everything (so we’ll now have WD-branded microSD cards floating around in phones, which seems a little odd considering the brand recognition Sandisk has), if they’ll keep the Sandisk name for some products, or if they’ll spin certain parts of the business off.

I’m currently using 3 WD hard drives and a Sandisk extreme pro. I like the products of both companies and I think this is a good move for them. Especially for WD.

In a tribe of blind people the one-eyed is king!

WD is slow and Sandisk is unreliable quality at least by my experience - challenging match! Good luck for this merger!

I’ll wait til they produce a hardware to see how the merger goes but being both hardware already if they do it right something good should come from it.