Western Digital Drives

Does Western Digital make ATA133 drives? I have never seen them for sale on their website and at any vendors. I am wondering because I notice every so often that people say they have them (for instance Dee-ehn in his computer list).

John

No they dont at least for their special edition line the one’s with the 8MB buffer.

The difference in performance is miniascule so it really makes no difference if the drive is only ATA-100

As I threw out my WD drives last week (they are in my drawer now, but there’s nothing on ATA100 or 133 on it) I can’t see if they are ATA100 or 133, but just as Rocky said, the difference in speed is less than 0,01%. Yes that’s right… it’s pure marketing!
ATA133 controllers can access larger disks than ATA100 can, but this barrier can be overcome with a simple firmware update…

btw I just updated my systems page :wink:

Actually, the WD JB series, at ATA100, are faster than any of the ATA133 drives out there.

Maxtor is the only company that makes ATA133. But that’s irrelevant since my IBM 120GXP 120GB is faster than my 20GB Maxtor ATA133 HD.

Thanks for all the input. I also own a maxtor ata133 and a WD 40GB ata100 8mb drive. I have had nothing but bad luck out maxtors. Everyone that I have ever owned, and they were all 20GB - 40GB, I have had to RMA becasue they ALWAYS fail. Maxtors are also much louder than WDs. WDs, in my opinion, have a much lower failure rate. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
Thanks for all the input. I also own a maxtor ata133 and a WD 40GB ata100 8mb drive. I have had nothing but bad luck out maxtors. Everyone that I have ever owned, and they were all 20GB - 40GB, I have had to RMA becasue they ALWAYS fail. Maxtors are also much louder than WDs. WDs, in my opinion, have a much lower failure rate. :slight_smile:

As a matter of fact, WD is one of the brands with the highest failure rates (at least, I read so about 2 or 3 months ago).

I can’t remember a Maxtor failing me; WD failed me two times by know.

I guess that just what’s called (bad) luck…

Dee-ehn…can you notice a huge difference in your maxtor drive (ata133 8mb) and your raptor?

btw- I have owned 5 maxtor drives and have had to rma them all, and the ata133 drive I have now I have had to ship back twice. (wasn’t supposed to get atat133 drive in return but i wasn’t going to say anything!)

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

As a matter of fact, WD is one of the brands with the highest failure rates (at least, I read so about 2 or 3 months ago).

I can’t remember a Maxtor failing me; WD failed me two times by know.

I guess that just what’s called (bad) luck… [/B]

Yup just about everyone you meet will have a different favourite down to personal experience with hard drives.

However most drive manufacturers including Maxtor recently changed their guarantees from 3 years to just 1 year, apart from WD - theirs is still 3 years. That is a big point to consider if you are buying drives right now. Also the WD Raptors have 5 years! (and are very sweet :D).

I have two Maxtors 7200rpm which have been running in raid config for about 2 years with no problems whatsoever. However when I first bought them I had to send one back within a week for replacement when it failed. Just down to luck.

A friend had the same Maxtor setup in Raid, and his lasted for the same time before recently failing not far from the end of their old 3 year warranty. If he bought maxtor now he would only get 1 year and would have had to buy 2 new drives!

Most major manufactures are pretty good these days anyway.

The speed difference between the Maxtors in RAID0 and the WD Raptor isn’t really huge…but the difference between a single Diamond Plus 9 and a Raptor is quite big.

About the warranty: on the Diamond Plus 9’s is 3 years of warranty, on the Raptor is even 5 years.

If I have some money left after the summer, I may buy another Raptor and put it into RAID0 as well… :wink:

Why are the WD Raptors so much more expensive than the Maxtor & Seagate SATA drives? Is it because of the RPM?

Why are the WD Raptors so much more expensive than the Maxtor & Seagate SATA drives

Look at the specs, they’re not even in the same class. New technology, thus the price. They know we can’t wait to get our mitts on them. :smiley:

Originally posted by SliceNDice
However most drive manufacturers including Maxtor recently changed their guarantees from 3 years to just 1 year, apart from WD - theirs is still 3 years. (and are very sweet :D).

Only their JB 8MB cache IDE HDs have the 3 year, the 2MB versions have 2 year.

I’ve had 2 IBM 75GXP series 30GBs failed on me. One was DOA, which I immediately exchanged w/ the vendor, the other lasted about 6 months and bite the dust. Have a pair of Maxtor D740X-L 20GBs, pair of IBM 75GXP 30GBs, a IBM 12GXP 120GB, and a WD 40GB/8MB running atm. The latter two are the loudest, the Maxtors w/ liquid bearings are very very quiet, as are the IBM 75GXPs.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

Only their JB 8MB cache IDE HDs have the 3 year, the 2MB versions have 2 year.
[/B]

The 2MB 7200RPM WD 100 gig that I got just before Christmas only has a 1 year warranty (with an offer in the box to extend to 3 year for $20). I didn’t figure it was worth extending, by the time the 1 year is up it won’t be worth the cost of shipping. I already got a 120 gig SE (and a 120 gig 7200 8MB Maxtor) since then for $10 or $20 less than I paid for the WD 100.

I haven’t had either brand fail on me, but I had a WD 3 gig that started making a clicking noise like a loose power connector. The rep that I talked to said it was a known problem and made no big deal about replacement. I also had an 8 gig WD get a SMART failure, that rep said SMART was over sensitive, and a flaky cable can trigger it (and it’s a latch, so once it’s triggered it always says SMART failed). No data loss in either case.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Actually, the WD JB series, at ATA100, are faster than any of the ATA133 drives out there.

on what WD advertisement did you read that?

They are slower
the JB drives where slower then the 2mb dx740 80gb maxtors in write & read access times according to an independent testing board & abit slower then the newer 8mb maxtors…

my personal experience in converting DVDs to SVCD format had me sell off my wd1200jb’s and keep my dx740’s which have seen been replaced by U160 atlas/maxtors…

another note a bad maxtor 160gb i rma’d was replaced with a 250gb maxtor after abit of bitching…

here ya go run the tests:
http://www.storagereview.com/

Originally posted by x1xBugsBunnyx1x
[B]

another note a bad maxtor 160gb i rma’d was replaced with a 250gb maxtor after abit of bitching…
[/B]

On the subject of Maxtor warranties, everybody I’ve known who returned one in warranty got a bigger (usually faster) drive in return. A year or so ago a friend had her first Maxtor drive (out of a couple dozen) fail, it was a 10 gig 5400rpm and they sent her a 40 gig 7200 rpm as a replacement (which, of course, at that time had a lower retail value than the original when it was purchased). When I had to return a drive to WD I inquired about upgrading, the upgrade price they gave me was about $20 less than their suggested retail for the upgrade model, which was more than the local street price!

I’ll have to run some tests and compare my Maxtor 120GB/8MB 7200 rpm (Diamondmax Plus 9) with my WD 120gig SE. They are on an ATA-100 MB interface though, so the Max won’t benefit from the ATA-133 ability.

Hi!I have a problem with my WD 2500 JB external HD. I try to access it from the “My Computer” window by double clicking at its icon,but this error msg pops up “Can not find script file I:\autorun.vbs” and I can’t seem to be able to gain access through this method.I have to right-click at the icon and access it through the AutoPlay option.Also,the Open option has been renamed into sth illegible.I ran a virus scan and the HD was infected with the Autom virus,well 11 of them actually.After cleaning up,the problem persists.Does anybody out there knows what I have to do so that I can access my external HD once more by double clicking at its icon, without getting that pesky msg? I thank you in advance for your time.

You can shut off autorun on XP pro. I’m not sure about XP home. And I don’t know if it would help.

There are instructions here for XP home and pro. It’s called “disable CD autorun” on the menu, but for XP pro at least, you can disable it for hard drives also.
http://dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html

Something has placed an “Autorun.ini” file on the root of your external HDD.

Right click the drive in My Computer, Choose Open, Find the Autorun.ini file and delete it. You may have to goto tools > folder options and show hidden and system files before you can see the autorun file.