Western Digital 500GB External HD $90

Circuit City has the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 500GB External Hard Drive for $90 with free shipping and no rebates to mess around with. That is $.18 per GB.

Link: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=149941&linkid=j13459594k1971&affiliateid=k1971&mid=sduidp0t0

CLGerow

These Essential models are very slow transfers rates and only offer a 2MB cache buffer. For the same price you can get a much faster HD.
Look at eSATA drives from other companies is your best bet.

Hmm…yeah right, 2-MB buffer. So the 16-MB buffer is just false advertising, correct?

I will explain it this way The Caviar Drives in the Essential models are ATA100. I would recommend eSATA300. The ATA100 transfer at 100MBsec, ATA150 is 150MBsec, ATA300 is 300MBsec.You do the math. Trust me on this. :wink:

if it had a 2MB buffer…sounds like it would be like 5400 RPM as well or something…havent seen anything with less than 8MB buffers…at least.

No they are 7200 RPM Drives but once again this means nothing.

MB cache buffer is for error less operation and does not pertain to the speed of the drive.

According to the specs on the page I linked to shows 16MB buffer. So does Western Digital web site.

CLGerow

For basic storage though the WD Essential lines is ok. I would rather pay 20 dollars more for there Pro line of HD’s. I have to Buracuda drives from Seagate but am in process of getting a Chettah HD at 13,000 RPM! SATA600. Imagine that. WD web page does not list this on there web page I looked also. Call them, it only 2MB Cache.

Here is what I copied from their web site. Doesn’t list anything about the buffer cache! Are you looking at Western Digital web site?

Serial Transfer Rate
USB 2.0
Serial Bus Transfer Rate (USB 2.0) 480 Mbits/s (Max)

Physical Specifications
Capacity 500 GB
Interface USB 2.0

Physical Dimensions
English
Height 6.710 Inches (Max)
Length 5.550 Inches (Max)
Width 2.25 Inches (+/- 0.010 inch)
Weight 2.90 Pounds

Metric
Height 170.5 mm (Max)
Length 141 mm (Max)
Width 57.2 mm
Weight 1.32 kg

Environmental Specifications
Temperature (English)
Operating 41° F to 95° F
Non-operating -4° F to 149° F

Temperature (Metric)
Operating 5° C to 35° C
Non-operating -20° C to 65° C

Electrical Specifications
Current Requirements
Power Dissipation
AC Input Voltage 100-240 VAC
AC Input Frequency 47-63 Hz

Here is the barebone drive thats in that external you have posted! And also they recommend if your looking for performance!

WD Caviar®

WD1600AABS
View More Photos
SATA Hard Drives
160 GB, 3 Gb/s, 2 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Cool
Quiet
Reliable

WD Caviar hard drives are ideal for mainstream desktop personal computers.

Other Capacities80 GB40 GB

Overview Photos Specifications Accessories Buy Locally

WD Caviar SATA hard drives are designed for mainstream desktop personal computers. They feature a fast 7200 RPM spindle speed, a 2 MB cache buffer, and up to 250 GB of storage. WD Caviar drives are built to the highest standards of quality and reliability by people who understand the importance of your data.

Compatibility Summary (PDF)

Key FeaturesFast - 7200 RPM, 2 MB cache buffer

SATA - up to 3 Gb/s burst transfer rates.

Quiet - Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) technology - Less friction means more reliability; less heat, vibration, and noise.

Ideal For

Mainstream computer users who want a high-value, entry-level hard drive. Users seeking higher performance should consider WD Caviar SE or WD Caviar SE16 hard drives.

i understand what you are saying. not to make things worse. but if you google that model number … WDG1U5000N … all it shows and says is 16MB buffers. havent seen anything that shows less. nonetheless, it is a good storage device. dont need stuff xfered instantly. to me anyways.

WDxxxxAABS = 2MB Cashe

WDxxxxAAJS = 8MB Cashe

WDxxxxAAKS = 16MB Cashe

I understand, I rely pretty much on the manufactures specs. I hope you find the drive that suits you needs and wants! :wink:

So you actually don’t have the physical drive to open up the enclosure and check what drive is inside, and just assume it’s an old IDE drive with 2-MB buffer. Next time before assuming, why don’t you get some real proof before passing along unsupported information? And yes, I do have the drive and it’s a SATA.

“Out of stock online” …

Out of stock in 6 stores surrounding the Boston area.

Im waiting for decent price on NAS drives…

i bought a wd 500gb basic drive at costco over the winter.
firstly, it has a 16meg cache drive!!
second, the enclosure failed and i removed all 16 screws holding it in and got a new enclosure for it
its a pity that external hd warantees mean u must send ur data to get any service…w/o any promise u will get ur data back
but, damn they build tough enclosures…it was a bitch to get the drive out

[QUOTE=clgerow;1936652]Circuit City has the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 500GB External Hard Drive for $90 with free shipping and no rebates to mess around with. That is $.18 per GB.

Link: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=149941&linkid=j13459594k1971&affiliateid=k1971&mid=sduidp0t0

CLGerow[/QUOTE]
stay away from these i bought one from newegg in feb07 and i’m now in the process of hopefuly getting a good replacement first one sent on/off button would not work second time around right now