Western Digital 2TB My Passport Portable (2.5") USB 3.0 Drive - $99.99 w/Free Shipping - BuyDig via eBay

Finally, my price point has been reached:

And for those wondering, yes, this is a reputable seller. Here is their web site:

http://www.buydig.com

There are $80 2tb drives making their way down to street price… 1tb is reaching $60 again… demand on the consumer level still seems soft. Newegg seems to be the price leader on HDD’s…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2697250]There are $80 2tb drives making their way down to street price… 1tb is reaching $60 again… demand on the consumer level still seems soft. Newegg seems to be the price leader on HDD’s…[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant. My posting of this was specifically to highlight PORTABLE 2.5" drives not desktop 3.5" drives. Smaller sized drives always carry a price premium.

The fascinating aspect of this is that NewEgg’s prices for the 2Tb 2.5" WD drives is $179, bare drive, while the WD Externals (probably using the same drive) is significantly cheaper.

It always makes me suspicious about the quality of the drive inside a materially more-expensive rig, yet priced so much less.

Its going to take a while before consumers trust 2.5" external drives. My experience w/ 2.5" laptop drives is that they generally fail right around the 3-5 year mark (or start to go bad by that time).

Is the portable/travel market that big?
Certainly not as big as those wanting to build NAS arrays.

I think the quality-reliability might be one issue for consumer appeal, but part of that is their portability naturally gives them a higher risk - because they can be carried around, handled while in full function, and dropped. It’s going to be interesting IF the SSHDs achieve my goals (much larger capacities) and then see how they appeal to NAS or server farms.

It always makes me suspicious about the quality of the drive inside a materially more-expensive rig, yet priced so much less. good to know

It goes with my “every purchase is a crap-shoot” belief, too. However, if there is Old Product sitting on a warehouse shelf in large quantity, those won’t be retail-able because the Brand has released newer models. “How do we sell old products? Repackage them into something newer and shinier!”

So, they can move them off of their inventory shelves (which can be taxable, simply sitting there) and push them onto retailers’ shelves instead so the manufacturer has cleared off shelf-space, escaped paying taxes AND might sell a few.

It might have nothing to do with Quality per se… but just don’t ask, “Why didn’t they sell as a bare drive in the first place?” ha ha

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2697466]Its going to take a while before consumers trust 2.5" external drives. My experience w/ 2.5" laptop drives is that they generally fail right around the 3-5 year mark (or start to go bad by that time).
[/QUOTE]

There’s a difference between a 2.5" drive stuck in a laptop environment and an external case. Depending on the laptop, the innards can be hot to very hot, which isn’t very good for survivability in the long run. The 500Gb WD external 2.5" drive I bought 4 years ago is still working just fine. However, I purchased a padded case for it, so it isn’t like I threw it in a backpack, purse, or briefcase. That being said, I had and have large 3.5" that serve as backup that aren’t portable.