Wester Digital "Caviar"

vbimport

Any comments on these drives… I’m short of $ so am looking at
a WD800JB ATA-100 for $100 from Googlegear.

later…

k

You can find a review of this drive at Storage review.

Originally posted by Kafka45
[B]Any comments on these drives… I’m short of $ so am looking at
a WD800JB ATA-100 for $100 from Googlegear.

later…

k [/B]
I think $100 is a little high. You can get it cheaper just search and be a little patient. Look for Mail in Rebates, etc.

I have one. All can I say is 8Mb Buffer!!! Go fot it :bigsmile:

This is just my opinion but with new drives constantly being released; you should try for $1 per GB or less and should have DMA 133 at 7200 RPM. The better ones will also have an 8 meg buffer. As AnOrO said you may have to be patient. Last week Dell home had many deals around a $1 a GB, some with an 8 mg buffer. That’s gone, but someone is always having a sale.

Great that u brought this up as ive been thinkin of upgrading aswell.

I was definatly gonna go with a 80GB WD with 8mb cache but since then Matrox also gave out drives with 8mb cache.

I think its also a newer line of drives the MAX9. Does any know how the new drives from Maxtor compare to the JB ones from WD???

UDMA 133 doesn’t gain you anything, so you shouldn’t care whether your drive is U100 or U133.

@Alexnoe “UDMA 133 doesn’t gain you anything, so you shouldn’t care whether your drive is U100 or U133.” Granted this is an incremental, possibly negligible, change which requires hardware support to see any change whatsoever. However, a UDMA 133 drive is most likely a newer drive which now may have a 68, or 80 GB platter as are some of the drives are in Upp3rd0G’s storage review link. With higher platter density the average transfer rates tend to go up, thus the preference for the newer drive. I will still say that the UDMA 133 vs. UDMA 100 does matter and certainly should be taken into consideration. Every little bit helps!

The fastest currently available hard discs are slower than 60 MB/s, so a U133 will not be faster than an U100.

It is true that U133 is newer, and that an U133 drive can be more modern, have higher platter density etc, but for example the latest WD JB drives are all U100 AND modern…and they would not be the least bit faster if they used U133

Any of the WD 8MB cache drives can be had for $1/GB on sale at various places and times. I got 2 of the 80’s for $80 each after MIR. The 120’s and 200’s are also frequently on sale.

@HUBinB:“I think its also a newer line of drives the MAX9. Does any know how the new drives from Maxtor compare to the JB ones from WD???”
Upp3rd0G’s storage review link reviews the MAX9 with mixed results. It seems that you may get 60 GB, 68 GB or 80 GB/platter drive with no clear way of telling what you getting prior to purchase. The warranty is one year, Maxtor drives used to be three. Apparently the three year warranty is for another more expensive incarnation of the drive. I have noticed many of the 8 meg cache varieties of drives “on sale” lately. I do agree with alexnoe regarding the DMA100 for the WD JB drives, but not for the Maxtors. It’s actually the newer technology of the drive rather than the DMA133 or even SATA155, (Serial ATA 150), yes yet another interface, that makes the difference. The bottom line to Kafka45’s question: Try for $1 per GB or less preferably with an 8 meg cache, 7200 rpm is assumed as a given!

Maxtor is the only manufacturer making ATA133 HDD’s. I would prefer S-ATA over parallel ATA133.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
You can find a review of this drive at Storage review.

thanks for a lovely site. :bigsmile:

If low noise is important to you, stay away from the WD JB’s (though the 80GB one is fairly tolerable). They are great drives but noisy. The 120GB model is even noisier (mine developed such a loud bearing whine that I finally replaced it with a Barracuda V).

The new Seagate 7200.7+ looks promising, as do the IBM/Hitachi 180GXP’s.

FYI, CompUSA is currently selling Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM fluid bearing drives (D740X series, not the 9 series, but they do have 8MB buffers) for $69.95 after rebates.

If low noise is important to you, stay away from the WD JB’s (though the 80GB one is fairly tolerable). They are great drives but noisy.

The WD JB drives are the quietest HD’s I’ve ever owned, in fact I can’t hear them at all.

According to Storage Review, the JB’s have an idle noise of 47dBa. The new generation fluid bearing drives like the Barracuda IV/V and the IBM 180GXP all come in around 40 dBa (I’m not sure about the Maxtor FDB drives). That’s something like 4x quieter. Not a big deal for most folks because most PC’s these days are fairly noisy to begin with but if you are trying to build a truly quiet PC you won’t be happy with these units. That’s not to say they are bad drives, just not quiet by modern standards.

According to Storage Review, the JB’s have an idle noise of 47dBa

I seriously doubt those testing methods. They are no where near that loud. Certainly are much quieter than the Maxtors and WD BB’s that I also have. I know the fans that I have, (that are rated at under 30dB), one of them will drown out 2 of the JB’s. Unless you have a fan-less box, you won’t hear the JB’s. “Noisy” is certainly NOT an accurate description. I think it best, particularly if you don’t own one of them, to refrain from such statements. Compared to the drives of 1-2 years ago, they are very “quiet”.