We're running out of IPv4 addresses. Time for IPv6. Really

A little over a year ago, I wrote an article about the IPv4 address consumption with the subtitle IPv4 Address Space: 2.46 Billion Down, 1.25 Billion to Go.

Link: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080817-were-running-out-of-ipv4-addresses-time-for-ipv6-really.html

:cool::cool:

Um … Hang on … I think by now all the big companies that are gonna be big already have their huge IP ranges … which means that either big businesses are going out of business or merging with other big businesses which will free IP ranges, or everyone will start being handed smaller IP ranges.

In the early days, they were quite liberal and handed out huge IP ranges to practically every tom, dick and harry that applied for one, because god knows there were only 50 computers in the world :stuck_out_tongue:

Now they’re more miserly and hand out very small IP ranges … and god knows, if networks are exceptionally well planned & configured, most companies could do with only a few IP addresses and a bunch of NAT boxes :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d hesitate to suggest that the transition could be postponed indefinately, but this seems like the Y2K bug again :stuck_out_tongue:

Quick everyone, check that your network equipment and PC’s are Y2K, err … IPV6 compliant …

Audit … AUUUUDDDIIIITTTTTTTT before the world explodes!