We're planning to move away from Vbulletin to Discourse

vbimport

Honestly, I never been a fan of Discourse, but if you can make it cent then it wouldn’t be so bad.

Here is what a great forum looks like:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I still remember reading a few of those stores. That goes quite a while back! :eek:

One thing I used to really like was how clever the various feeds were laid out in the old theme within the typical 800x600 monitor resolution back then.

The ‘New threads’ at the top was the main feed I used to watch as these were threads that didn’t have any reply, so it was fun trying to be the first to answer someone’s question. Of course by the time I typed my reply, a handful of other others beat me to it. Those were the days. :bigsmile:

Looks like these were news stories from March 2002.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2771118]Looks like these were news stories from March 2002.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head Torsten and I agree with Seans assessment, totally. I have a whole bunch more if anyone is interested. I just need to ask one question, who’s idea was [B]Project Yogho [/B] ???:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Yesterday was March 29th so it was the 14th Anniversary of that image.

14 years ago, I was almost a youngster.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771126]14 years ago, I was almost a youngster.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Cough
Sure you were :disagree:

Going by that ‘Change your details’ article, I suspect I lost a previous frontpage account.

Based on sorting my posts in reverse order, the oldest post I have is 20th March 2002 (here), just a week before that announcement. Whoops, a little late now… :wink:

[QUOTE=Seán;2771128]Going by that ‘Change your details’ article, I suspect I lost a previous frontpage account.

Based on sorting my posts in reverse order, the oldest post I have is 20th March 2002 (here), just a week before that announcement. Whoops, a little late now… ;)[/QUOTE] Let me see if I can find an older image.

April 1 2001

I’m probably in a minority here, but I didn’t like the old layout or colour scheme. It nearly made my eyes bleed. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2771141]I’m probably in a minority here, but I didn’t like the old layout or colour scheme. It nearly made my eyes bleed. :)[/QUOTE]I didnt like the color scheme but with [B]256 [/B]members in 2001 I think JW couldnt get a majority opinion. LOL.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771137]Let me see if I can find an older image.

April 1 2001[/QUOTE]

I was a lurking member @ that time,with a different nick…:bigsmile:
I’m a bit surprised that there was already a news item about Redfox back then…:eek::bigsmile:

I looked through quite a number of stories in the News Headlines forum from 2001 to see if I recognise any guest comments something I may have written, but didn’t spot any.

The stories sure were quite different back then. Besides CD/DVD drives, most were around file sharing applications to replace Napster (Remember KaZaa, Morpheus, WinMX or Audio Galaxy?), piracy and RIAA lawsuits, Game and Audio CD copy protection schemes and audio encoding formations. As I was mainly into reading all the copy protection and audio encoding stories, these are the ones I mainly checked the comments of. The stories were a fair bit shorter also, many 2 to 3 paragraphs.

The oldest comment I could find that looks like something I may have written is this one, posted 13th February 2002. I remember back then I was really interested in the OGG Vorbis audio codec and was considering using it as my primary audio format once hand-held devices started to support it. Going by a search of my PC where I’ve files that managed to make it across several PC generations, I do have test OGG encodings from November 2001, so around the right time.

I probably first started regularly checking CD Freaks around the second half of 2001 as many of the stories look familiar, although it’s quite likely I read them somewhere else.

I liked that story that’s titled " Beautiful Girls in Here":bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771089]Here is what a great forum looks like:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Bring back the real World Wide Web. :iagree:

Joking aside, I genuinely find it [U]much[/U] easier to read than modern web sites.

The colours may not be to everyone’s taste, but that was corrected the following year. From 2003 onwards the CDFreaks front page was an excellent piece of design. Attractive, informative & very easy to read. :clap::bow:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030422183948/http://www.cdfreaks.com/

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771137]Let me see if I can find an older image.

April 1 2001[/QUOTE]
“Top flusher: ReDFoX” - What on earth was that about? :confused:

But some things never change: “Fed up with Plextor turning on us”.

Hard to believe through that there were only 258 members.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2771187]Bring back the real World Wide Web. :iagree:

Joking aside, I genuinely find it [U]much[/U] easier to read than modern web sites.

The colours may not be to everyone’s taste, but that was corrected the following year. From 2003 onwards the CDFreaks front page was an excellent piece of design. Attractive, informative & very easy to read. :clap::bow:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030422183948/http://www.cdfreaks.com/[/QUOTE]

:iagree: from 2003 onwards, this site had a wonderful design, easy to read, easy to get an overview… I agree with Dee though, more so today than back then of course - back then it was as it should be, far better than the older '90s space-themed sites :wink:

Indeed the 2003-2006 theme was my favourite theme also.

The following were two screenshots near the end of that era:

As surprising as it sounds, it was also mobile friendly with GPRS capable phones at the time. Basically when I went to the site, it listed the news articles as a series of links and each article opened mentioning the author, time & date at the top followed by the text.

The following photo is from the 6th June 2006:

The forum itself actually went through several generations. You can see the theme that was used during that era by selecting “CDFreaks v1.0 style” in the drop-down at the bottom of the page. As the forum went through several software revisions over the years including customised icons being overwritten, a few years ago I tried reconstructing the icons to match the very few screenshots I had from the forum.

I’ve practically nothing from the 2001-2002 during darker Blue/Green theme Alan posted above.

^Now that was a HOT phone back in 2006 :disagree:
Still, it did work as it should, connecting people :flower:

Indeed back then my phone was basically for calls & texts and it worked well for that. I think it was also the longest I had any phone (probably 4 years) as I’m fairly sure it was on its 3rd replacement battery by that stage.

If I recall right, Ireland had the most data charges in Europe at the time at 1c to 3c per KB depending on the provider. It wasn’t until data charges came down that I finally decided to get something more capable.

For comparison, I now have a OnePlus Two and my current prepay plan on Three gives a month of all-you-can-eat (well, counts down from 2TB) data each time I add €20 to my phone. Of course that comes with a €1/MB sting in the tail if another €20 top up isn’t applied within the next 30 days. :eek: