We're planning to move away from Vbulletin to Discourse

vbimport

I’m fairly familiar with this software, when I backed LoopPay (now bought by samsung) we had a community “forum” that I helped out as a support staff, merely a title. It was a nice bit of software, but seemed to me to be more of a support ticket setup the way they had it. I believe it was discourse at least.

Look forward to seeing what you guys produce with it.

When you do your testing of the new software, may I suggest you invite some Members to help you try and break, err I mean find what works and doesn’t work. At a site that I help out on a little we upgraded from vB3 to vB5 :sad::sad::sad::Z :Z ah, that feels better and very little testing was done (about 5 days). It resulted in a LOT of issues, not problems but nagging issues when it went live. It’s 5 months now and I still don’t like vB5 and it isn’t growing on me.

Years ago when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I upgraded from Win3.11 to Win95. The install lasted about 4 days before I returned to the bosom of something I was comfortable with. 4MB RAM really wasn’t enough on a 486SX-25. 8MB RAM was and then I became comfortable with Win95. Why am I rambling about bloody old Windows? Well, as long as the new software runs smooth enough then the Member will, I believe, become comfortable with it fairly quickly irrespective of how the new interface will look. If you guys want a clean break from the present vB interface now is a good a time as ever. Of course a similar looking interface to what we have now will make it easier for the transition. I can’t say I am overly impressed with the new interface but that is mostly due to me not liking change, old fuddy duddy that I am. I am sure it will grow on me the more I use it.

If there is anything I can do to assist with testing please let me know. In the meantime I hope you enjoy your holiday.

So when is this move to take place?

Our current hosting stops at the end of the month, so before that, I hope :wink:

Update:

I expect that staff and probably members (not sure what will be permitted) can do a test before the actual move will take place. I’ve provided Discourse with a dump of our current database so they can perform the first test import.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2761976]Update:

I expect that staff and probably members (not sure what will be permitted) can do a test before the actual move will take place. I’ve provided Discourse with a dump of our current database so they can perform the first test import.[/QUOTE]

That’s good to hear. It would be great to get as many opinions as possible. :iagree:

[B]Wiombler[/B]

Did they have an expected timeframe for completion of this test import? I’m aware it varies GREATLY from site to site, but couldn’t hurt to ask. :wink:

It should have been ready already, but it seems they didn’t previously understand how large our forum is. I’m trying to extend our current web host for as month to give them some additional time.

Diane actually brought up a question, and I don’t know if I had seen it answered:

Can the Chatbox be transplanted to the new forum setup somehow? I’m aware that it’s probably a separate plugin (and we customized it), but it’s been so long since it was implemented, I don’t remember any concrete details.

One of the first things I checked was whether there was a chat plugin, and there is. However I’m not sure if we even need it, we could also create a Chat thread I think, because Discourse auto updates, every thread is like chatting. But if that isn’t sufficient, we certainly should have a chat, wouldn’t want that to stop! :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2762225]One of the first things I checked was whether there was a chat plugin, and there is. However I’m not sure if we even need it, we could also create a Chat thread I think, because Discourse [B]auto updates, every thread is like chatting[/B]. But if that isn’t sufficient, we certainly should have a chat, wouldn’t want that to stop! ;)[/QUOTE]

[B]No its Not Like Chatting [/B]( can get very of toppic )
Domi the only time I remember you Very active on Chat was when Shellie Mae was around.
[I]PoP in now and again just to say HI[/I]

Yeah, if it’s not a major strain on the server resources or anything, I’d like to keep the chatbox. It’s not difficult to manage in its current state, and I’d love to keep that as a sort of front-facing way for people to interact.

I know very little about how forums work, but if it’s software needs updating it needs to be done. I’m sure your team, are more than able to do it
Nothing will stop me coming here, I learn more here and enjoy the general forums immensely. Good luck with it Dominator, I hope it all goes well.

I just got news that an import takes 24-48 hours. They are currently running a test import, so I hope to be able to do some tests soon :wink:

@All, I heard ya, I will install the chat plugin on Discourse, as one of the first things! (Let’s hope it works well :wink: )

Who cares about a chat plugin, those things are 1990’s. Gief tapatalk

Hi :slight_smile:
Is this still in “planning” or “shelved” ?

I’m currently suffering from bronchitis that doesn’t want to away. Currently on antibiotics but they only make it worse. This has been going on for weeks already :frowning: Hence the delay. Good you asked, I should have posted an update sooner!

Good to hear… not that of your bronchitis of course, hope you get better soon :flower:. I was somewhat wondering when the switch was due to be made myself :slight_smile:

A bit late to the discussion, but VBulletin is crap. All the best people there moved and formed Xenforo. My forum is based on Xenforo. I have 52,000 members, am Administrator there and can tell you it is a breeze to manage. It is easy to put troublesome members on hold, control the level of control you give your moderators. I would like to express this is not an intellectual response, and I do not work for them. I used to be quite a regular member of this forum till it circled the “drain” for a while, then my forum took off and I could not be bothered. I say this as I was invited back and the forum seems to be the way it was when I first joined, and that i a great thing. I wish I could post more but spending so much time on my forum leaves me too little bit of time.
I do have around 5000 free paper models on every subject imaginable. We have simple membership rules, after that, you are in and download whatever you want. I have links to probably 5,000 more high quality models that could take you a day or two years to build.

This model *made completely of paper) is available exclusively through my forum, for FREE, but you can only get it through me. :wink:

zathros

www.zealot.com

Hi my friend glad your doing good ,your site and you.Thats amazing model have a great holiday.