We're planning to move away from Vbulletin to Discourse

vbimport

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2761100]Never heard of that thing, isn’t Xenforo safer, more known and its just as responsive and even has a migration possibility from vb to xf[/QUOTE]

Discourse also migrates well from Vbulletin, that’s not an issue. I hope I properly explained the choice for not going to Xenforo in the previous post.

I still recommend xf though, I mainly use Tapatalk to read and post on here and I don’t think discourse is supported. And if there’s one thing I don’t like doing is visiting forums on a mobile browser, responsive template or not. Tapatalk is easier. Don’t care much for how it looks either, to be blunt if the images are accurate is just plain ugly.

And although you say the main part is rendered with java script which is loaded on the client side, if could severely limit usability on older systems, you don’t have that with server side php.

Hi :slight_smile:
Worried about overall site features.
Check this out.
http://www.ghostvolta.com/

Although the forum section still lacks width on posts.

@Ch3vr0n - The structure, being different. negates the need for third party forums.
Having championed TapaTalk from very early days.
I only ever use it (have to install) nowadays to see what another forum poster is getting at.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2761129] Discourse provides the browser with data, which is then[B] rendered mainly with Javascript[/B]. Vbulletin / Xenforo / PHPBB3 all render everything with PHP.

As more work is done in the browser it (should) render(s) faster for users, less scalability issues, [B]more secure[/B] and because when [B]all javascript is cached[/B] only the actual text of forum posts is transferred, it will be faster when loading.
[/QUOTE]

Forgive me my ignorance,but since when do ‘more secure’ and ‘javascript’ make sense together in 1 sentence? :bigsmile:
Already quite a few years,we’re slammed around our ears that java and javascript are exploit magnets,and almost as insecure as flash…:confused:
How will the javascript stuff react with security hardened browsers?

@roadworker, I wouldn’t touch Java with a stick. JavaScript despite the name is totally different. Javascript runs only in the browser and you’ll find it on pretty much every site on the web. On low end computers you shouldn’t have an issue as well. It’s about numbers. On a single computer the processing is hardly resource consuming, but on a server there are multiple requests, so it makes sense to distribute thoae amongst clients (browsers), all small pieces make a large one togheter (based on what Chevron said)

On mobile now, so sorry for not being more extensive.

Plenty of JavaScript vulnerabilities,though…

https://www.google.com/search?q=javascript+vulnerabilities&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Yes, but fortunately these issues are easy to counter as any modern website would do. These issues could happen to Vbulletin right now too.

Give it your best shot,Domi! :bigsmile:
I didn’t want to start an argument by my previous post,just wanted to point out that you’ll have an immensive task comin’ up to you…transfering the forum,closing all the security holes,theming Discourse to [B]our [/B]satisfaction…:bigsmile:
We’ll patiently wait to see what you’ll come up with…:wink:

It won’t be DoMi working alone. We’ll all do what we can to help make the transition smooth. I believe you’re helping do that by actually showing you care about the site & making sure all potential issues are known ahead of time. :flower:

[QUOTE=Albert;2761149]by actually showing you care about the site[/QUOTE]

I DO care about this place,Albert…and I can understand that the crew is a bit worried about members staying away after the forum upgrade,but there are only 2 ways to keep me away visiting this place…death and a permanent ban…:bigsmile::wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2761130]I do hope you will provide feedback to make it better, I do care for that![/QUOTE]I certainly will once the change has been made I know VB is a PITA now a days with not much support or updates and they get hacked which takes time to fix .
I don’t blame you for making the change.

I just hope this is the right change for users of the forum.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2761150]I DO care about this place,Albert…and I can understand that the crew is a bit worried about members staying away after the forum upgrade,but there are only 2 ways to keep me away visiting this place…death and a permanent ban…:bigsmile:;)[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated comment :wink: Thank you!

[QUOTE=ILLP;2761196]I certainly will once the change has been made I know VB is a PITA now a days with not much support or updates and they get hacked which takes time to fix .
I don’t blame you for making the change.

I just hope this is the right change for users of the forum.[/QUOTE]

I really hope so too, and I’ll do my best to give our members the best possible experience, so I hope I can make that happen with Discourse!

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2761201]I really hope so too, and I’ll do my best to give our members the best possible experience, so I hope I can make that happen with Discourse![/QUOTE]Same as Roadworker I will be here unless I am banned permanently or croak:D

Just get it done…LOL;)

I seem to always be here, hope that is good. altho I guess that I have come close to being banned for life and have had two stents installed.

If Open Source, and a traditional look is desired, then Snitz forum has it all - and actually looks like a forum.

Post list, marked new, not new, read / unread - and does discourse have stickies?

In the end you guys decide, as long as Tapatalk will remain supported its all good.

[QUOTE=Matth;2761244]and does discourse have stickies?[/QUOTE]
From what I’ve seen, it does. No worries on that front.

[QUOTE=Matth;2761244]If Open Source, and a traditional look is desired, then Snitz forum has it all - and actually looks like a forum.

Post list, marked new, not new, read / unread - and does discourse have stickies?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Albert;2761261]From what I’ve seen, it does. No worries on that front.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
From what I’ve seen.
Stickies are poor compared to what most folk would expect.
They’re shown by a little star.
Also get pushed down the rankings by newer posts.
Posts get “New”, but not seen Marked Read etc.

Thank you guys for all your support, it’s much appreciated and it actually relieved some stress! I’ll be going on holiday from coming Friday till the Friday after that and then I’ll start testing and hopefully then soon start moving.

@Mathh, if you mean this: http://forum.snitz.com/ then that’s even worse than Vbulletin. It hasn’t been updated since 2009, I noticed there are lots of vulnerabilities for it and it won’t work on mobile etc.

Stickies yes - they’re called pinned topics.

@Chevron, I would love to move away from Tapatalk actually. Users are moving away from apps to native mobile sites (http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/25/wait-what-mobile-browser-traffic-is-2x-bigger-than-app-traffic-and-growing-faster/)

Tapatalk is actually pushing for advertising (where they take a cut) and they way they try users to convince to install it is more annoying that most advertisements if you ask me. I did notice that someone is writing something that makes Tapatalk work with Discourse, if that works I’ll add it but without the usual tapatalk banners so users who currently use it, can continue to use it.