Went shopping for media today

vbimport

I spent some time today browsing smaller mom and pop stores in Toronto (College/Spadina, if there are any Torontonians here) looking at the various types of media they have. It’s amazing what these stores have, in terms of rare/obscure media compared to big chains like Best Buy or Future Shop.

Here are some highlights of what I saw:

• Verbatim DigiMovie 4x (or Digital Movie, the ones with the film reels on the disc/packaging). Unfortunately, these were quite expensive at $7.99+tax for just five discs.

• Old Mitsui CD-R. The shop owner said that these were imported from 3-4 years ago.

• One lone JVC 8x DVD-R. To my surprise, this disc was MIJ and not the Chinese crap that JVC usually sells. Anyone think it’s TYG02?

• Fujifilm 8x DVD+R for video, with DVD case. Okay, I cheated…I saw these at Best Buy. The price looked decent at about $10+tax for 10 of them. These were MIJ, so they’re probably T02’s.

• Optodisc DVD-/+R in a jewel cases (with Optodisc branding). I’ve only seen Optodisc sold in spindles of 50, with almost no branding.

• Philips 25GB BD-R. These are made in the Netherlands (I’m thinking about picking up some BD-R media despite not having a burner for them yet, because first generation media is usually higher quality because of almost no outsourcing – I’ll probably get a drive at the end of the year)

• Verbatim VideoGuard at a Grand & Toy. I’ve read about those here, but haven’t seen them in person. These were expensive at $17.99+tax for either 5 or 10 discs.

And for my best find of the day, Unifino 4x DVD-R. These are MIJ (and the packaging is in Japanese as well) and are sold in packs of five with slim cases. Surprisingly, these are the only ones I actually bought. I remembered that these discs performed well in the UV resistance tests (done by the individual in Japan) and picked up a pack right away. I thought the price was very decent at $4.51 for five ($0.90/disc). I’m going to burn one later today and that will decide if I’ll be getting more of them (or buying them all from the store).

The JVC 8x DVD-R MIJ is indeed TYG02, and quite high quality at that.

When did JVC actually source their media from TY? All I see from them is MIC stuff by Wealth Fair Investments.

…but the disc looked like it was sitting there for a while, being fairly dusty, albeit still shrink wrapped. I didn’t want to buy stale media at extraordinary prices ($1.79+tax :o).

As well, to add to my first post, I just realized that the Unifino discs are printable.

Offtopic: Funny thing is that I hardly burn any media, but I still shop for them (although there will be periods of time where I’ll have the urge to move my stuff to discs).

So I burnt one of the Unifino discs (MID: UTJR001001), and all I can say is wow. It was going really well, then BAM :frowning:

The TRT looks like it’s a bit wobbly too.

I think it may be the fact that my drive doesn’t like this media because of the lack of support of this MID. If you look closely, PIE is rising as if it were a staircase. And as well, the jitter is surprisingly low.

An aside: The image of the scan may be resized. Here’s the original hosted on ImageShack.

Edit: Just tried the disc in one of my standalones, and it froze near the end :frowning:

[QUOTE=theSpam;2092153]I think it may be the fact that my drive doesn’t like this media because of the lack of support of this MID.[/QUOTE]

This looks like a job for SolidBurn. Have you got a Nexperia BenQ? :bigsmile:

Unfortunately not. It’s just the LH-20A1S and some OEM LG drive in an enclosure for me :frowning:

[QUOTE=negritude;2092176]This looks like a job for SolidBurn. Have you got a Nexperia BenQ? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Maybe some writing strategy swap (with MCSE) would help too :iagree:

When burning with the LiteOn: Make sure you manually enabled Online Hyper Tuning and Hyper Tuning [although HT is probably already auto-enabled for the “unknown” MID]. It might also pay to disabled SmartBurn. :iagree:

I’m not sure how well it will work, but worth trying. I also second the suggestion to try a strategy sway. :slight_smile:

Old Mitsui CD-Rs? Oh, I wish I could find some here in Greece!

As per Albert, this burn was done with +HT +OHT - SB

(full sized scan)

I knew that this stuff was amazing, but it’s a shame that the MID hasn’t been included Lite-On’s firmware yet. To add, the jitter is the lowest I’ve seen in all the discs I’ve burnt.

But one thing’s bugging me, there are still three small dips in the TRT and it’s still wobbly towards the end. Is this a cause for concern?

[i]@talos_2002

Too bad they wanted $1.50/disc. I burnt my one and only Mitsui disc a few months ago and I was amazed at the results.[/i]

Another good one :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=theSpam;2092569]But one thing’s bugging me, there are still three small dips in the TRT and it’s still wobbly towards the end. Is this a cause for concern?[/QUOTE]

No, its a bug in your CDSpeed Version, get .16 :wink:

Great results!

Nice results. Could you please post a photo of both label and data side of UTJR001001 medium? Thanks.

By the way, do Japanese companies Kitano & Intermedia (Unitech) still produce a recordable media?

Wow it does look like great media, judging by the scan.

What speed were those burnt at?

[quote=Womi;2092626]No, its a bug in your CDSpeed Version, get .16 :wink:

Great results![/quote]

Ah. Just checked its site and I see that my version’s outdated. Thanks :slight_smile:

There’s not too much to show as the media is printable. Anyways, I still took some pictures. You’ll really have to excuse my photography :frowning:

Insert, Front: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7241/p1000274scaledni1.jpg
Insert, Back: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4166/p1000276scaledhv1.jpg
Disc, Label side: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1623/p1000277editedscalediy3.jpg
Disc, Data side: http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8486/p1000280scaledxy7.jpg

I’m not going to take a picture of the packaging right now (it’s more interesting than the disc) as I’ve torn it up pretty badly. When I get some more later this week, I’ll take pictures of the new packages.

[quote=cd pirate;2092689]Wow it does look like great media, judging by the scan.

What speed were those burnt at?[/quote]

I burnt them at their rated speed, 4x.

Edit: As you can see in the third image, there’s something written on the inner hub. It says: INTERMEDIA MADE IN JAPAN 86931624EDBE X

Interesting pictures, thanks :flower:
I did not know that UTJR001001 media are sold outside Japan.