Well it seems the 811s is the forgotten child

someone posted recently that HSOP would be the last fw update for this drive and I must say he took quite of bit of heat but there has been nothing for this drive lately…I really hoped they would improve the write quality for this drive…I have been disappointed in the overall write performance on disc smartburn says can be burned at 8x…ie the ricoh discs…

This is probably my last Liteon drive as I do not feel the supported this drive well at all…

ok, I guess a few of us have been left wanting, in regards to the string of lite on drives. However, look how long it took to get bitsetting on the 401. Not saying its good that it took so long, but just to say that sometimes they take a while before they put out subsequent wares.

I’d have to say both 811 and 851 need some improvements in write quality.

4x burning on the 811s is good but why have an 8x writer for this…I have used dvd decrypter and 6x burn speed is much better for dvd playback on my Philips 793(5 disc changer…4x disc have no issues but 8x disc skip all over the place…my samsungP721M works like a charm with my 8x disc…very rarely do I get a skip)

I am just disappointed at the overall performace of dvd writing

I’ve disconnected my 811s and boxed it up. Replaced it with a Benq 800A with which I am very pleased. Never again will I buy a Liteon product.:sad:

I have sent several emails to Liteon over the past couple of weeks about the 811s and write quality. They are under the impression that the drive is now sorted with all media. I returned their email with the information etc they requested but they have never got back to me.
If we want more support we would all have to email them and give them a bit of stick.
The odd email here and there asking for updates from the occasional customer will get nothing done.
I too have not used my liteon for a while now. Infact the last couple of times I have used it was just to burn cd’s.
I use my 107 for all my dvd’s now.

matt is right. We need to bombard them with “please explain” style emails, querying the write quality of the drive constantly…

maybe something will be done then…

I am sad for my 811S. So much joy, yet - they just dont seem to care about the model anymore…

:sad:

It all comes down to R & D priority and economic factors in the long run. One would think, a company with the size and wealth of LiteOn however, they could spare a dime here or there to support their “legacy” (barely!) products…=\

Zeb
I reckon another " time to make a stand" thread is in order, over in speedlabs.
The last one got quite a few people into action.

“The squeeky wheel gets the grease”

mmmmm…not a bad idea!

I will post one up today!

:cool:

I have tried to start another “make a stand” thread but I doubt it will motivate people like your last one. You can delete it by all means and put your own thread up . (you can do that as a mod can’t you?, or does that have to be Amph that does that?)
It needs someone with a bit of clout to start the thread so people will read it and act on it.

is there some sort of standard info set that liteon usually requests when we crack the s#!ts at them by way of e-mail…

just so we no what to give them in a nicely thought out yet firm e-mail regarding performance of the 811…

for ease, in this thread anyway, below is an e-mail address at liteon we can bombard…if anyone has a different one then please list…

i’m just making it easier for people to click on the link and start typing ("…fear of getting flamed…" people are lazy to go hunting for these things themselves)

they will listen to numbers…not one or two people e-mailing!

Liteon Tech Support

Spamming them with hate mail will do nothing to help.

dhc014:

Spamming them with hate mail will do nothing to help.

with all due respect dhc014…what part of my e-mail presupposes an intention to spam…

people are having issues with liteon products and wish to explain their problems to a member of liteon who will listen and address the issue…

i agree with zeb and matt…people need to speak up, otherwise we become too complacent say ah well it doesn’t burn well and go out and by another model…we can solve many problems in this awesome forum but sometimes certain problems cannot be fixed without manfacturer intervention…all we are saying is “Liteon, please listen to your customers”…we are certainly not spamming them…we are merely using a means provided by Liteon (via e-mail or online problem description form) to express an issue with a drive…

now if more than one person is having a similar issue than there could well be a physical or FW problem with the device…

please don’t take this thread out of context

No, seriously… it won’t do anything but annoy them. The people that read your emails (if anyone actually does) are not the ones who make firmwares or update the website. The only thing that emailing them will do is maybe get you an unreleased firmware if there is one.

In any case - its the hope that somebody will see it…nudge

http://speedlabs.org/forum/index.php?topic=381.msg1931#msg1931

It is not our intention to annoy, rile, bug or otherwise piss-off anyone.

We want to be constructive about this. There is a right way and a wrong way. Lets keep it cool and see if we cannot get some communique with LiteOn happening…

Dave…do we have an alternative email to query to? You say this public email addy gets nothing done…is there a way you can pass on our words to those that count?

Any help is most appreciated here…

dhc014:

No, seriously… it won’t do anything but annoy them. The people that read your emails (if anyone actually does) are not the ones who make firmwares or update the website. The only thing that emailing them will do is maybe get you an unreleased firmware if there is one.

having said this then dhc014, what is the best way to approach such a situation…

you just have to read other posts where people are jumping ship for no better solution…:sad:

ah well, maybe a few gurus in these forums who have already attempted to correct problems with devices, no names mentioned, may have a few tricks up their sleeves…c’mon lads…hit the Edward de Bono books;)

Who’s Edward de Bono.
Does he work for Liteon.:smiley:

Hehehe…lemme give some breif explanation…

Edward de Bono was an amazing thinker. He was a CREATIVE thinker. They guy wrote MANY books (62 from memory). If it was not for de Bono, the concept of lateral thinking might never have come about. More to the point, de Bono was responsible for the taxonomy of the “self organising information system”…smart man. Pioneer in Neural networks…and semantic nets…

Hence the comment before…we need to think this way…

But back to topic - how do we get our words across???

U WISH

damn zebra…you keep jumping in before me on my replies and you’re making me look like an idiot…of which i am, but thats not the point…

have you tried your speedy typing skills on EBay maybe where you can pip the other bidder with seconds to go…

i always get slapped on Ebay…i need cable, and fast!!