Well...burned the first 5 seconds

vbimport

Hi,

New to the forum, just had a quick question. I tried burning a DVD and the copyright information saved successfully to the blank disk but then it just stops. It shows that it has 4 gigs on the disk, but I can’t get the movie to play or go to its root menu.

Media: DVD-R
Program: Nero 8.0 Burning Rom

I used to use DVD Shrink and DVD Decoder a long time ago and had no problems…Do I simply need to run a decoding program because of a protected disk? Any help would be nice - thanks!

Assuming you are starting with a commercially made dvd, you’ll need to decrypt and rip the movie to the hard drive, then copy over to the blank dvdr.

A free decryption program that is still being updated is DVDFab HD Decrypter. http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm Be aware that as you use the free decryption section, you are using up the 30 day trial of the full version. The free part will still function after 30 days.

Once you have the video on the hard drive you may have to reduce the size with DVDShrink, but you seem to have experience with that.

Nero can burn your dvd video for you once it is the correct size.

I believe you solved my problem just with just the word “decrypt.” I was searching for “DVD Decoder,” because I was thinking that was what I used with “DVD Shrink,” and now I realized it was "DVD Decrypter I was using. It all just came back to me, lol.

DVDDecrypter is a fine program, but has become outdated since development stopped. If you run into a dvd it cannot handle, I suggest you use DVDFab HD Decrypter in its place.

Glad to be of help, and welcome to the forums ilikepigtails.

I downloaded DVDFab HD Decrypter just now. I’m going to give it a go when I’m done with my Hockey Fantasy Draft.

I remember a few years ago someone telling me that DVD Decrypter was shut down or something, so their lack of availability doesn’t surprise me. As soon as torrents became more popular a few years back I stopped burning dvd’s and just downloaded/deleted. I figured I’d continue on my collection.

I’ll bookmark this site and come check it out some more. It’s nice to see this place isn’t just useful but current. Sometimes you find forums like this where the posts are from 2002 or 2003, lol. :wink:

Well, just an update - I used DVDFab to decrypt my CD’s and DVDShrink to burn it. When I opened DVDShrink it analyzed the media and when I hit backup, it made a copy onto the Blank DVD.

The DVD DOES play on my computer, but cannot be read in my DVD Player. It says it’s a UDF file? Should I use another burning program?

I have Nero but haven’t been successful thus far using the program. There’s a lot of options and even when I went step-by-step I’ve had problems taking my copy from DVDFab and burning it.

DVDShrink doesn’t actually have a burning engine. It uses either DVDDecrypter or Nero (there is an alternate version that can use ImgBurn). So it sounds like you were using Nero.

Decrypt your dvd with DVDFab HD Decrypter…you’ve got this down.

Reduce the size of the dvd to fit onto a single layer dvd using DVDShrink…set the output in Shrink to an ISO this time rather than try burning directly through DVDShrink.

Burn the ISO with ImgBurn. It is a free program, well regarded around here for burning both files and video. www.imgburn.com
Here is a guide for burning an ISO file with ImgBurn…very simple: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

By the way, you can also just have DVDShrink output to regular DVD files and burn with ImgBurn. Its just a slightly different process and you can find guides for it at the same place where I sent you on the first guide.

I’ll poke around and see if I can find the edition of DVDShrink that uses ImgBurn automatically if you want to try it.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip