Welke HD kopen: WD3200KS of WD3200YS

vbimport

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=233
KS = 3 jaar garantie

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=196
YS = 5 jaar garantie

Maar dit schrikt me af:
Regular 7200 RPM desktop drives run fine in RAID environments; why do I need these drives?
A: Unlike regular desktop drives, WD RE SATA and EIDE hard drives are engineered and manufactured to enterprise-class standards and include features such as time-limited error recovery that make them an ideal solution for RAID.

What is time-limited error recovery and why do I need it?
A: Desktop drives are designed to protect and recover data, at times pausing for as much as a few minutes to make sure that data is recovered. Inside a RAID system, where the RAID controller handles error recovery, the drive needn’t pause for extended periods to recover data. In fact, heroic error recovery attempts can cause a RAID system to drop a drive out of the array. WD RE2 is engineered to prevent hard drive error recovery fallout by limiting the drive’s error recovery time. With error recovery factory set to seven seconds, the drive has time to attempt a recovery, allow the RAID controller to log the error, and still stay online.

Ik wil de HD gewoon gebruiken voor storage (non raid).
Wil dat zeggen dat als ik bv een paar beschadigde clusters zou hebben dat ik geen error recovery kan doen?

WD RE2 is engineered to prevent hard drive error recovery fallout by limiting the drive’s error recovery time. With error recovery factory set to seven seconds, the drive has time to attempt a recovery, allow the RAID controller to log the error, and still stay online.
Met andere woorden: de tijd die nodig is om de herstelwerkzaamheden uit te voeren door de RAID controller wordt naar 7 tellen gezet, zodat de RAID controller de disk (die aan het herstellen is) niet uit de RAID container gooit.

Zolang je die disk dus niet eens aan een RAID controller aansluit, maak je geeneens gebruik van die technologie.

Zou errory recovery dan in een non raid system totaal niet werken?
Ik heb de RE’s gekocht. 5 jaar garantie tov 3 jaar en dat voor 5 euro meer.
Ik merk op dat ze SMART niet supporten, misschien omwille van de promise sata2 controller. Mja, dat zou ik gek vinden omdat mijn promise ide controller wel smart support.
Nu kan ik niet zien hoe warm de hd’s zijn.